Scottish Cup 2017 Pop Up

BowenBoys

I have really enjoyed this year's competition and am grateful to BB for organising this.

A few little thoughts to make next year even better. I am not mentioning these because I have been the worst competitor this time round! However, it would be good to encourage predictions favouring smaller rather than bigger teams.

Suggested new rules for Wayfarer to misunderstand:

1) In every round, and this could apply to the preliminary rounds as well as the main competition, you have to choose at least 1 team from each league division/level (counting all non-league teams as one level) and if there are more levels than picks available, you must take one each from the lowest level up.

2) If one of your chosen teams defeats a team from a higher league or level, you are given the bonus of being able to select an extra team in the next round.

Therefore picking the shock troops rather than the predictable big guns is rewarded.

Edited by partickthedog
  • Like 1

I have really enjoyed this year's competition and am grateful to BB for organising this. A few little thoughts to make next year even better. I am not mentioning these because I have been the worst competitor this time round! However, it would be good to encourage predictions favouring smaller rather than bigger teams. Suggested new rules for Wayfarer to misunderstand: 1) In every round, and this could apply to the preliminary rounds as well as the main competition, you have to choose at least 1 team from each league division/level (counting all non-league teams as one level) and if there are more levels than picks available, you must take one each from the lowest level up. 2) If one of your chosen teams defeats a team from a higher league or level, you are given the bonus of being able to select an extra team in the next round. Therefore picking the shock troops rather than the predictable big guns is rewarded.

The first time we did this it started in Round 5 and everyone had eight picks at that point. With more time on my hands this season*, I thought it would be good to run it for the whole tournament. I think it has been good but tough. The average number of selections for Round 4 is 5.6 per player. Therefore (most) players have taken safer options which means generally similar selections. Not sure how it will pan out, we'll see.

Paying attention to the early rounds with lower league teams has been interesting. I like your ideas which will focus more on these teams and provide a way of bolstering selections. We can assess how the whole thing works at the end and incorporate changes.

If anyone else has other ideas, throw them in. It's your competition.

*thanks to elevenone taking on the Player Sponsorship and PAWS fundraising. I'm very much enjoying seeing it from the other side. Thanks John.

Edited by BowenBoys

I have really enjoyed this year's competition and am grateful to BB for organising this.

A few little thoughts to make next year even better. I am not mentioning these because I have been the worst competitor this time round! However, it would be good to encourage predictions favouring smaller rather than bigger teams.

Suggested new rules for Wayfarer to misunderstand:

1) In every round, and this could apply to the preliminary rounds as well as the main competition, you have to choose at least 1 team from each league division/level (counting all non-league teams as one level) and if there are more levels than picks available, you must take one each from the lowest level up.

2) If one of your chosen teams defeats a team from a higher league or level, you are given the bonus of being able to select an extra team in the next round.

Therefore picking the shock troops rather than the predictable big guns is rewarded.

I have looked into this in detail. Probably not the most scintillating read.

In Round One there were two levels, Lowland/Highland League and Non-League. There were four ties featuring teams from different levels. The lower level team won on three occasions. Given the picks made by everyone, there would have been 6 bonus picks going into Round Two.

In Round Two there were three levels with the addition of League Two teams. There were six ties between teams one level apart and two ties where the teams were two levels apart. Four of these ties were won by the lower level team.

Round Three comprised teams from five levels (as above plus League One and Championship). There was only one tie involving teams from the same level. Some were separated by four levels.

The success of selections made was 53% in Round One, 77% in Round Two and 76% in Round Three. Going into Round Four, each player averages 5.6 picks.

Adding the bonus picks gained to each round and calculating the success rate including these extra picks using the % success rate for each level, I conclude that each player would have, on average, 6.6 picks.

Of course, there is no way of knowing how these rules would have affected players selections.

The poor success rate in Round One may be because of lack of familiarity with the teams involved. Undoubtably wiping out half of the available picks is not a great way to start the competition.

Perhaps we should have Round One as a bonus round. Going into Round Two each player has the same number of picks (8?) plus any bonus picks from Round One. Plus partickthedog's bonus plan.

• 1 month later...

How can so many Thistle fans think it more likely that Celtic will win the Scottish Cup than Thistle?

We made a promise that we will fulfil......

I've been a supporter for nearly 50 years now and still waiting on the promise to be fulfilled, so I think that answer's your question :mellow: