Fears of change Vs apathy to current set up

Norgethistle

43 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I had a look at the P&B forum this morning, in the 2019 / 2020 championship predictor, the betting shops have us finishing 3rd or 4th behind the two Dundee teams, is that not some cause for optimism?

Where did the bookies have us this time last year?

3 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

A sound reasonable post jj. You can be a right royal pain in the archie at times but this is very to the point. I also have great sympathy for people running businesses in the present climate. Not everyone can juggle running their own company and running a not for personal profit, a football club. I too share concerns if the viability of the present season to season, short termist vision model currently adopted. There seems to long term plan which is a must for a club of our size and which on reflection brown mcmaster/JO and DB did very well

Did the chairman’s statement not say that they were now budgeting on a rolling 2 year plan and looking to move that out to 3 years. That sounds to me like longer term planning

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Did the chairman’s statement not say that they were now budgeting on a rolling 2 year plan and looking to move that out to 3 years. That sounds to me like longer term planning

If thats the case we are looking at drastic cuts across the Board-  as in a normal Season based on Historical Performance turnover is circa £1.5MN - thats a big drop compared to the £2.5MN from last Year - of course we wont know if we brought in £2.5 MN until the AGM 

But one thing is for sure - we cant take the tact of throwing the Family Silver at promotion - nor eat into cash Reserves on any level- ecause if we dont go up[ - we have no more Parachute Payment Money or Liam Lindsay Windfall        

JJ,

You should know the Chairman's statement by now as you have referred to it often enough in other threads, but just to remind you, here is what she said regarding the club's finances

"Off the pitch, the Board took the decision that the Club, while having no debts, needed to improve its financial planning. Our budgets do not include monies from cup runs, stadium hires by third parties etc. It encourages us to live within our means and extra monies that come in – such as that from our Scottish Cup run – can be used to supplement the playing budget or on unforeseen issues as they arise.

But, until season 2018/19, the focus had been solely on the current season which we felt wasn’t enough, we needed sight of what was coming down the track towards us. Our finances are now structured on a rolling two year basis (with a view to extending that to three years) so that we know exactly what we can spend in year, without compromising the Club’s viability for the following year. As the season ended, we came in on budget without depleting our reserves, which can be drawn on to support plans for the coming season."

Now you might not want to believe what she says, but as far as I know, this is the only hard evidence that we have and that tells me that we are not running at a loss. We are not depleting reserves. We are not selling the family silver. We are planning longer term.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

If thats the case we are looking at drastic cuts across the Board-  as in a normal Season based on Historical Performance turnover is circa £1.5MN - thats a big drop compared to the £2.5MN from last Year - of course we wont know if we brought in £2.5 MN until the AGM 

But one thing is for sure - we cant take the tact of throwing the Family Silver at promotion - nor eat into cash Reserves on any level- ecause if we dont go up[ - we have no more Parachute Payment Money or Liam Lindsay Windfall        

We the fans won’t know, but I would be surprised if the board didn’t know before that particular statement was made. 

Also, I don’t know any business that budgets on a historical basis. It is always based on forecast.

19 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Yes. You're right DD. If that comes to pass then great. Fingers crossed the academy will continue to grow and develop. Under the right stewardship this has to be the future along with good scouting to bring in a little experience and see something in a player perhaps missed and released by others. That's why the appointment of a scout was a great and long awaited move.

The signs are positive despite some peoples concerns around the Miller signing. My main point was that, on reflection, the past 4 seasons have been somewhat on the hoof in terms of signings and the academy. Hendry, lindsay, fitzy, penrice has come over a lengthy period, and now with 3 making the step up the benefits of the academy might be about to bear fruit. There's a lot to be hopeful for. Fingers crossed and we can get a good start to the season. As someone posted towards the end of last season if GC gets a move to another club it will be on the back of his excellent performance as our manager. As I posted myself, I don't have to like GC to appreciate and support him. Perhaps it's cos I'm on holiday but am feeling upbeat and positive about the future short and medium term. Perhaps my post was a little too down beat DD.