Fears of change Vs apathy to current set up

Norgethistle

8 hours ago, jagfox said:

Well that’s my understanding that the takeover would see us being a feeder club by way of blooding loan players for an other team or teams in their portfolio. What’s your understanding on that point?

How can you possibly understand that is what will happen, when there has been no statement from either party. Not only that, it doesn’t seem that Barnsley are being used as a feeder club to Nice.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

How can you possibly understand that is what will happen, when there has been no statement from either party. Not only that, it doesn’t seem that Barnsley are being used as a feeder club to Nice.

Calm down, Just speculation like this whole take over talk which is becoming tedious.

I'm beginning to sway to the side of better the Devils you know...

Edited by jagfox

4 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

Just a thought …. the most recent talk of a take-over of PTFC was 20th / 21st June, since then I have seen no further word of this rumour either online or in newsprint. So has this episode simply been no more than rumour that grew arms and legs?

If it's no more than a baseless rumour, why hasn't the club denied it? The silence from Firhill only makes sense if there's something going on.

3 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Now, I am totally confused. On another thread, you were banging on about how a trip to Tenerife was funded and if it was external funding(ie Colin Weir) then we don’t have a sustainable set up. Now you are saying that in the past it was ok for Directors to put their hand in their pocket when things got a bit tight ?

The difference is that in any Company Directors have to make up any shortfall in Funding - "hoping" Colin Weir provides funding on an "ad hoc" basis isn't a recognisable scenario in any business  

I'd like the club to deny these rumours I've heard from very good sources:

• Marcello Lippi is going to quit managing the Chinese national team for us
  • Firhill is going to be sold and a new ten-thousand seat stadium will be built in Milngavie
  • To attract an international fanbase the club will be renamed Universal Thistle

If they don't we can all be assured they will happen.

4 hours ago, jagfox said:

Calm down, Just speculation like this whole take over talk which is becoming tedious.

I'm beginning to sway to the side of better the Devils you know...

Of course it is all speculation, but your post was written in a way that suggested there was some information out there which gives your view some sort of credence.

4 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

The difference is that in any Company Directors have to make up any shortfall in Funding - "hoping" Colin Weir provides funding on an "ad hoc" basis isn't a recognisable scenario in any business  

Don’t think this is true. Directors are responsible for ensuring that the business is a going concern. 

• Like 1

So why does the club choose to respond to some rumours but not others ? It’s also funny that some people who say the club should respond to rumours not long ago were asking them to do just that !

It doesnt even need the club to do anything .... Alan Cowan or Tom Hughes could just send a one liner  saying nothing happening here move on 

4 minutes ago, javeajag said:

So why does the club choose to respond to some rumours but not others ? It’s also funny that some people who say the club should respond to rumours not long ago were asking them to do just that !

It doesnt even need the club to do anything .... Alan Cowan or Tom Hughes could just send a one liner  saying nothing happening here move on 

Or maybe even say that" it's business as usual".

If there was no truth to this takeover rumour, I believe that the club would have made a statement to that effect when the story appeared in the press. Therefore, I think there is truth in it. 

If negotiation between 6 shareholders and a third party is, or was, happening I would imagine it could be quite complicated. The third party won't want to commit to any individual purchase until they are sure they will get all six. The individual shareholders won't want to commit until they are sure of getting the best price. This could take some time and may be, or have been, unsuccessful.

If negotiations don't yet, or didn't, involve the club, I'm not sure what they could say.

Until a take-over bid is successful, it is demonstrably business as usual. The players are playing, the manager is managing and the trialists are...erm...trying.

Until there is something definitive to say, I'm believe the club will remain silent. We may never hear anything.

But don't worry, we'll have football to bicker about soon.

Reflecting upon the title of this thread, the more intriguing question for me always has been “Aim for the stars or know your place?”

My track record of supporting clubs of any sport is something like:

85% of seasons are duds

14.9% of seasons made significant progress toward “glory”

0.1% of seasons actually captured said “glory”

So while I don’t go into it expecting to get kicked in the nuts 85% of the time, that’s what happens.

Thistle is unique to all other clubs/teams I support.  So if you’re stuck in neutral as we have often been, simply fighting to exist, it’s hard for me to be fearful of change.  I guess with regard to club leadership and ownership, almost any change that gets us out of neutral is good in my eyes.  Succeed or fail, at least we tried.

But I often wonder if it’s all foolish - to envision a day when we are Premier League mainstays and Firhill is closer to packed than not.  If that’s not the goal, what’s it all for?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I would say the current board take far more criticism than previous boards.

cowan and Hughes left us needing to sell Gary Harkins and Marc twaddle to stop us going bust under their watch.  Despite the desperate financial trouble we were in at this time Eddie Prentice seemed it appropriate to be paid £35,000 for ‘part time’ work at this time.  This trio of incompetents got a far far easier time of it than the current incumbents.

it is noted that these 3 are among the shareholders rumoured to be selling to Chien Lee.  The same shareholders we are told by some who have Thistle at heart.  This trio make any blunders committed by the current incumbents almost tame by comparison.

i truly am astonished at how lightly the trio got off compared to the criticisms (some justified) aimed at the current incumbents 

Think that they did get a hard time on forums, etc at the time - I certainly was!

The fundamental difference is they put cash in when it was needed ; they maybe made mistakes - what board doesn't? - but they started from a position of credit; the current incumbents don't have the benefit of that credit. 

1 hour ago, jaf said:

Think that they did get a hard time on forums, etc at the time - I certainly was!

The fundamental difference is they put cash in when it was needed ; they maybe made mistakes - what board doesn't? - but they started from a position of credit; the current incumbents don't have the benefit of that credit. 

Without them during STJ there would be No Thistle so agreed they had built up a lot of Credit and they were long term Thistle Fans ( still are ) 

On 6/28/2019 at 10:34 PM, Jordanhill Jag said:

First - I think most people in Business Know its tough out there - so Im sympathetic to any Business thats making a loss etc - puts a lot of pressure on the owners 

But if your Running a Business that has lost Money - couple of things - surely that should be your Focus ?  Small Football Clubs are time consuming  ? 

Plus small Football Clubs are very difficult to manage financially - it takes a lot of skill and experience of managing  budgets- and running what I can only describe as an Austerity Type Budget regards Non Football Matters - if your going to break even 

Last Year we got the Parachute & EUFA Money  ( £850K ) - this Year bit of Parachute & some Liam Lindsay Money - but these are one offs - unplanned so to speak - my concern is underlying trends on things like Crowd Numbers -and  big Cash Generators 

It was noticeable that the End of Season Ball which used to be a sell out and was  Major Fundraiser - circa £70K Clear Profit - was merged with the Player of the Year Dinner 

Now BOTH of these used to sell out   - the End of Season Ball sold out even when we were previously in the Championship - so that tells us something 

Therefore my concern is that there seems to be signs of a downward trend in revenue generators eg Bums on Seats - Large Events - could be wrong - just looking and comparing 

Therefore we really do need people with the experience and contacts that can generate revenue - one other point - in the past if cash was tight Directors Chipped in with a Directors Fee - you need people on your Board that can afford to do that - ignoring the rights & wrongs - small Clubs can run into cashflow issues - bad fixture list - bad Weather- even getting  revenue forecasts wrong  - and sometimes that means short term funding  

Its ok to manage in the Premier with decent cash input - managing budgets in the Championship is a different beast - and apart from Ian Dodds we have no one with that experience 

For me in a Small Football Club its always about the Money - balancing budgets is key  !!  

A sound reasonable post jj. You can be a right royal pain in the archie at times but this is very to the point. I also have great sympathy for people running businesses in the present climate. Not everyone can juggle running their own company and running a not for personal profit, a football club. I too share concerns if the viability of the present season to season, short termist vision model currently adopted. There seems to long term plan which is a must for a club of our size and which on reflection brown mcmaster/JO and DB did very well