Sign in to follow this  
The Thistle Archive

The Thistle Archive

2 hours ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

On a very different different topic, today, …”Up the RMT!”

I don't quite get your train of thought. Perhaps we should leave this thread entirely for Thistle Archive info and patter?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just a reminder: You can actually see a couple of clips of Thistle in action wearing that red top, along with the blue shorts (!) on The Thistle Archive Youtube channel.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Just a reminder: You can actually see a couple of clips of Thistle in action wearing that red top, along with the blue shorts (!) on The Thistle Archive Youtube channel.

I’ve looked for this and couldn’t find it. Presuming it’s 1974, we’re at home, because in those days the home side changed so it would be            
                               …….Thistle    v   ???       @ Firhill  1974

23 hours ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:
On 6/21/2022 at 10:39 AM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I don't quite get your train of thought. Perhaps we should leave this thread entirely for Thistle Archive info and patter?

Perhaps we should be careful of ‘compartment’alising ! Thistle certainly need to signal their  intent  early at the beginning of the league campaign.

Edited by denismcquadeno.eleven

31 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Perhaps we should be careful of ‘compartment’alising ! Thistle certainly need to signal there  intent  early at the beginning of the league campaign.

Never post while steaming

20 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Never post while steaming

I wish somebody reminded me of those words of wisdom a few times when they were needed!

On this site, but also reminding me to stay off eBay !

Edited by Jaggernaut

On 6/22/2022 at 1:23 PM, The Thistle Archive said:

^ Two red top games can be seen from the 1972 trip to Sweden, as filmed and digitized by CCJag of this very parish!

Firstly, the Sirius (July Cup) match → then the Brynäs (friendly) →

Thanks a lot for this. Brilliant little snippets of footage. Lovely to see all those faces in their prime, turning out for the Jags in a great strip. Wish we had a squad of that calibre now!

• Like 1

To ‘The Thistle Archive’

In the mid sixties (I must have been about 10/11 I recall a snippet of a Partick Thistle v Hearts match being shown on BBC (B/W) TV at around 5pm. (During the Scottish football round up-full highlights to be shown later that night.) (There we’re only two channels then…the one you were watching..and ‘the other side’! (Ie BBC and ITV)! Anyway, I saw the Jags playing in a change strip I’ve always liked. It looked as if it was all white shirt with three hoops-red,yellow, red across the middle. The shorts looked red and the socks white. I have never seen that strip anywhere in colour, but there is a photo from that match (Johnny Flanagan in action) in one of my old ‘Scottish Football Books’ (Edited by High Taylor.) To me it looked very nice then and I’ve drawn it for myself a few times. It would be circa 1965/1966/1967

Have you a photo in colour…or B/W or more details of that strip? Have you any other facts, details on it?

3 hours ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

To ‘The Thistle Archive’

In the mid sixties (I must have been about 10/11 I recall a snippet of a Partick Thistle v Hearts match being shown on BBC (B/W) TV at around 5pm. (During the Scottish football round up-full highlights to be shown later that night.) (There we’re only two channels then…the one you were watching..and ‘the other side’! (Ie BBC and ITV)! Anyway, I saw the Jags playing in a change strip I’ve always liked. It looked as if it was all white shirt with three hoops-red,yellow, red across the middle. The shorts looked red and the shorts white. I have never seen that strip anywhere in colour, but there is a photo from that match (Johnny Flanagan in action) in one of my old ‘Scottish Football Books’ (Edited by High Taylor.) To me it looked very nice then and I’ve drawn it for myself a few times. It would be circa 1965/1966/1967

Have you a photo in colour…or B/W or more details of that strip? Have you any other facts, details on it?

This one?

Screenshot_20220625-103651_Samsung Internet.jpg

7 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

This one?

Yes, that’s the one. I assume the shorts were red, and all else was as I described above, with red/yellow trim on the white socks.. That badge looks a bit ‘different’ though. Liked this strip, but don’t know how many times they played in it. Generally in the 60s, I think the Thistle change strip was like Scotland’ with a thistle,  white shorts and navy socks with white turn-downs. That’s nice too. I prefer Scotland playing in white shorts-this contemporary ‘all navy’  is not for me. Thanks a lot for this, you are certainly good at pulling Thistle ‘rabbits’ out of the hat! I always liked Johnny Flanagan, but after a  disagreement, he left the Jags under a cloud…for rivals…Clyde!  Well done anyway,Mr ‘Thistlearchivisio!’

That was a brilliant outfit that I'd love to see brought back to life. I previously posted a colourized version, which shows just how good it looked.

I'll look it out on my other computer and re-post it tomorrow.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

This one?

Johnny had his own song ,  sung to the tune of The MIghty Quinn by Mannfred Mann...Come on without   Come on within weave got Johnny Flanagan...

• Like 2

I'd forgotten that. He was a gallus wee player.

I remember one game at Firhill against the h*ns the ref stopped play  for a free kick to the opposition. The ball was heading towards JF, and he bent down as if to collect it to give it to the opposition to re-start the game. Everybody had stopped, expecting that to happen. but in fact the wee man crouched down and let the ball run past him by some considerable distance, while pretending that the reason he crouched down was to tie his boot laces. Still makes this simpleton smile!

• Haha 1

On 6/26/2022 at 12:19 PM, Jaggernaut said:

That was a brilliant outfit that I'd love to see brought back to life. I previously posted a colourized version, which shows just how good it looked.

I'll look it out on my other computer and re-post it tomorrow.

I’d love to see that. I’ve never seen it in colour anywhere.

Got this picture from Firhill shop in the late 80s or early 90s. It’s fully signed on the back, but my uncle happened to have a frame he didn’t want and (coincidentally) it fitted perfectly. Surprisingly, it’s NOT the players I like best about this pic. It’s that it shows the exact place where I stood for years with my pal, and others who were always there, in the shed. I don’t particularly like the red/yellow someone decided to paint on concrete Did they have some spare cans?!!) I preferred the original concrete colour showing, but it’s a reminder of my teenage years  (and younger) and means a lot to me!

5B5246D8-FE7D-42B0-9B3F-7C1622D1FBAF.jpeg

This one doesn’t show Roughie’s face, (I have others of those) but that’s okay here because what it shows is the absolute, unremitting joy we all felt after that 2-1 Wembley win over England in 1977! Roughie is being hailed by ex-Leeds’ centre half Gordon McQueen (who scored with a terrific header and signed the pic). This was Roughie’s first win at Wembley over the English, he’d been on the winning side the previous year at Hampden, and he was again at Wembley in 1981! How many Scottish goalkeepers have been on the winning side v England, three times? “Damn few and there a’ deid!”

07A7D191-B868-4688-90A0-449A6CB13D34.jpeg

Here's the colourized version of that photo of Flanagan with what I still think is a brilliant outfit. I'd love to know why it disappeared without trace just as quickly as it suddenly appeared.

Ep8_NiLXYAA3rNa.png

• Like 1

I've got another picture from that match, which shows several players looking good in the jersey, but it's anonymously hidden somewhere in among hundreds of nameless other photos.

3 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Here's the colourized version of that photo of Flanagan with what I still think is a brilliant outfit. I'd love to know why it disappeared without trace just as quickly as it suddenly appeared.

Ep8_NiLXYAA3rNa.png

Yes!! I’ve been waiting to see a colour version of this for years! And, the thistle emblem looks ‘right’ whereas the one on the B/W one looks a bit odd/hard to make out! To be honest, I thought the ‘vee’ neck (popular in the 60s) and cuffs were red too. But, in looking again at the B/W pic, they are definitely darker than the red hoops, so this is accurate. 10/10 for this! This shirt would be regarded as too plain today, with no little  ‘bits’ (background effects etc) ie ‘tinkering’ but for me, plain and simple in a jersey is often classic. Who has ever improved on the classic Fender Stratocaster or Telecaster guitars, both designed in the 50s, despite the designs which followed and still do? Classics should be left alone and cherished, To use the cliche, they  are (often ) timeless! In short I’d rather have the ‘timeless classic’ than this year’s (or any other ‘year’s’) ‘fashionable-soon-to-look-incredibly-dated,’ knock-off-concoction. (that WAS a mouthful!)

”Oh, Johnny, Johnny,….Johnny, Johnny, Johnny, Johnny Flan-a-gan!”