Happy Anniversary !!!!-!

Jaggernaut

10 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

The sequence isn’t every 50 years. We were formed in 1876, right. We won the Scottish Cup in 1921 - that’s 45 years. Then the league cup in 1971 - that’s 50 years. Sadly, the next number in the sequence is 55. So, 2026.

Time to find our form then?

14 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

The sequence isn’t every 50 years. We were formed in 1876, right. We won the Scottish Cup in 1921 - that’s 45 years. Then the league cup in 1971 - that’s 50 years. Sadly, the next number in the sequence is 55. So, 2026.

It’s more complicated than that, we have only won a cup in years that Emperor Hirohito visited the UK on a state visit. 

We probably need a few nomads in Japan to perform a Burke and Hare covert exercise to get us another cup win

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Well thank **** for that. There was me waiting patiently all this time for 2021 but I have another 5 year to wait to see us do something. That makes me feel much better. 

3 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

So where does that leave your blame on Caldwell, Archie and McCall on breaking the sequence ?

Well it doesn't exactly leave us in a promising position to continue the sequence, thats for sure. 

Here's a thought. When we finished in the Top 6 along with the Perth Saints, Livingston were in League one, St Mirren were nearly relegated to the same league and Hibs were in the League below us. That's your Semi finalists, and were entertaining Peterhead this weekend in a quest to cling onto Falkirk's coattails.

Bring on 2026 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MonehJags said:

Well it doesn't exactly leave us in a promising position to continue the sequence, thats for sure. 

Here's a thought. When we finished in the Top 6 along with the Perth Saints, Livingston were in League one, St Mirren were nearly relegated to the same league and Hibs were in the League below us. That's your Semi finalists, and were entertaining Peterhead this weekend in a quest to cling onto Falkirk's coattails.

Bring on 2026 

Well, that’s the thing isn’t it ?  Every club has their cycle of being good and bad. The fact that those clubs are doing ok, doesn’t mean that we won’t ever again.  As has been said many times - our ranking in Scottish league football hasn’t deviated very much in our entire history. It’s just that the league structure changed. I would much rather we get promoted in 2021 than win the cup.

20 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Well, that’s the thing isn’t it ?  Every club has their cycle of being good and bad. The fact that those clubs are doing ok, doesn’t mean that we won’t ever again.  As has been said many times - our ranking in Scottish league football hasn’t deviated very much in our entire history. It’s just that the league structure changed. I would much rather we get promoted in 2021 than win the cup.

More or less my sanguine way of looking at things. Unfortunately with the smaller leagues, even if our ups and downs remain similar to times gone by, the money structure doesn't. There's always the added worry that at some point there'll be in effect a cut off point.

42 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

If winning a diddy league is in your eyes greater than winning a domestic cup, that in itself speaks volumes

15 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

That's assuming that the progression is linear. Not necessarily the case and we can't extrapolate given only two reference points.

21 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

More or less my sanguine way of looking at things. Unfortunately with the smaller leagues, even if our ups and downs remain similar to times gone by, the money structure doesn't. There's always the added worry that at some point there'll be in effect a cut off point.

That’s a fair point and although there is some money in progressing in the cups(don’t know how much), I would guess it makes it more important to prioritise the league.

9 minutes ago, MonehJags said:

If winning a diddy league is in your eyes greater than winning a domestic cup, that in itself speaks volumes

Ok - how about defining diddy league. Is it just league 1 and 2, or is the Championship a diddy league as well ?

So would you rather we won a cup and got relegated, or get promoted and forego the cup ?

You never said anything about getting relegated, however seeing as your being pedantic, why is that when winning a cup is discussed, there has to be a choice of relegation as the alternative. Surely they don't have to go hand in hand. We certainly know how to do the relegation bit, its about time we were able to feature in the later stages at Hampden.

By the term diddy league, we're in the third tier of Scottish football playing against mostly part time teams on the brink of obscurity. 

3 hours ago, MonehJags said:

You never said anything about getting relegated, however seeing as your being pedantic, why is that when winning a cup is discussed, there has to be a choice of relegation as the alternative. Surely they don't have to go hand in hand. We certainly know how to do the relegation bit, its about time we were able to feature in the later stages at Hampden.

By the term diddy league, we're in the third tier of Scottish football playing against mostly part time teams on the brink of obscurity. 

For me, if you haven’t already grasped it, league performance is far more important than winning a cup, irrespective of the division we find ourselves in.  But I am still not sure with you. It doesn’t have to be a choice, but I am interested to know what you would choose if it was. In modern day political parlance - where’s your red line ? 

Well, being highly unlikely that a team from League one won the Scottish Cup, i would take the cup glory and all the publicity that went with the roy of the rovers storyline. The prize money would easily offset the loss of being relegated, and people born from the 80's would have their day at Hampden.

How does that sound?

40 minutes ago, MonehJags said:

Well, being highly unlikely that a team from League one won the Scottish Cup, i would take the cup glory and all the publicity that went with the roy of the rovers storyline. The prize money would easily offset the loss of being relegated, and people born from the 80's would have their day at Hampden.

How does that sound?

Great.

46 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Mere coincidence and ignore the fact we started the game a goal down. The nearest game we've played in recent times that resembled a cup final was against today's opposition.

I also ignore the Challenge Cup final as I couldn't take any final played in Livingston that seriously. 

Except, the playoff final 1st leg, surely? Or were you trying to erase that from the memory banks ?