Open Meeting

Fawlty Towers

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is the meeting at Glasgow University on a midweek night? Would it not - in terms of convenience and getting lapsed and new people along - have been better to have it at Firhill maybe on a Saturday?

Yes it may have been better to have held it on a Saturday near Firhill, but next week we are away to Ross County and the following week we are errrr...away to Ross County and folk are away with the national team. To be honest it was a bit of a nightmare to find a venue anywhere in the West End on a night when all of the Trust board could be present. Maryhill CCH was booked up, Woodside Halls and Partick Burgh Halls need four weeks notice because of an overtime ban, the Mitchell was very expensive, the CCA too small and some venues didn't even get back to me.

Anyway, here's hoping folk are motivated to come along and hear what we have to say and offer their views. If folk can't make it, we are going to try to show it live on the internet, failing which, have a download available.

Edited by honved

I'm not a member of the trust board, but I know that the west end of Glasgow isn't exactly local for more than one of them. A Saturday after a home match would, i'm sure, have been more convenient for them but, given the changes that have occured at PTFC board level recently, we would have been critical if we had to wait around a month for a meeting/information update. They have the best interests of the club and its supporters at heart. A midweek night isn't going to be convenient for everybody but they are hopefully going to be able to produce a webcast/download for those that can't attend.

Either way, I feel for the first time in a long time that if we unite behind the board we have a real chance of having the positive impact we all desire.

Yes it may have been better to have held it on a Saturday near Firhill, but next week we are away to Ross County and the following week we are errrr...away to Ross County and folk are away with the national team. To be honest it was a bit of a nightmare to find a venue anywhere in the West End on a night when all of the Trust board could be present. Maryhill CCH was booked up, Woodside Halls and Partick Burgh Halls need four weeks notice because of an overtime ban, the Mitchell was very expensive, the CCA too small and some venues didn't even get back to me.

Anyway, here's hoping folk are motivated to come along and hear what we have to say and offer their views. If folk can't make it, we are going to try to show it live on the internet, failing which, have a download available.

Can't argue with that! Good luck with it and see you there.

Jags Trust site says:

"The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later. "

Could someone tell me where and when the meeting is?

Thanks

The meeting is on the 6th of October at 1930. The venue is Lecture Theatre A on Level 4 of the Boyd Orr Building, which is just off Byres Road.

We are looking at the problem with the website.

It's unfortunately well nigh impossible for us to show video of the meeting online on Wednesday night, but we will definitely be trying an audio link (although whether it works is another matter). Details of how to access the relevant site will be posted here and on the Jags Trust website www.jagstrust.co.uk very soon.

Will refreshments be available at all (I'm assuming perhaps via a vending machine) or will we need to bring our own?

We haven't laid on any refreshments. There may be a vending machine but perhaps one of our supposedly large student following will help me out here...

I hope this is well attended. This could have a big impact on the way our Club will be run in the future. We cant afford to let this slip by.

I can't make it up tomorrow evening, but I would echo Wills comment - look forward to hearing the outcomes.

It's unfortunately well nigh impossible for us to show video of the meeting online on Wednesday night, but we will definitely be trying an audio link (although whether it works is another matter). Details of how to access the relevant site will be posted here and on the Jags Trust website www.jagstrust.co.uk very soon.

A live audio link would be appreciated ( :thinking: perhaps the meeting could be filmed then uploaded online afterwards? possible or not? :unknw: ), as will not be in Glasgow that night, unfortunately have to be elsewhere in a Galaxy far, far away.

A live audio link would be appreciated ( :thinking: perhaps the meeting could be filmed then uploaded online afterwards? possible or not? :unknw: ), as will not be in Glasgow that night, unfortunately have to be elsewhere in a Galaxy far, far away.

Filming the meeting just isn't possible for a number of reasons, the main one being that we don't think that with the resources that we have available, we would be able to deal with the sound being good enough and the net result would be next to useless - pictures, but only patchy sound... a bit like Question Time on the telly but without being able to hear the audience and half the panellists.

What we will have is an audio link that should be more reliable since we hope to tie into the PA system. This is all new territory, but it's worth trying. Fingers crossed that it works well enough.

Filming the meeting just isn't possible for a number of reasons, the main one being that we don't think that with the resources that we have available, we would be able to deal with the sound being good enough and the net result would be next to useless - pictures, but only patchy sound... a bit like Question Time on the telly but without being able to hear the audience and half the panellists.

What we will have is an audio link that should be more reliable since we hope to tie into the PA system. This is all new territory, but it's worth trying. Fingers crossed that it works well enough.

Knowing all the people involved, I think we're better off without the video link <_<

Pot.... meet Kettle

Depending on what the WiFi and accoustics are like in the place, a cheapo video camera and a laptop would be enough to do a reasonable quality feed on UStream or something similar, especially if you can get a feed from the PA into the camera. Though if it's off-mic, then yes, audio quality might be horrible (but it would be for a pure audio stream too, then).

Should hopefully be along on Wednesday so if you need a hand let me know.

Edited by chapwithwings

Depending on what the WiFi and accoustics are like in the place, a cheapo video camera and a laptop would be enough to do a reasonable quality feed on UStream or something similar, especially if you can get a feed from the PA into the camera. Though if it's off-mic, then yes, audio quality might be horrible (but it would be for a pure audio stream too, then).

Should hopefully be along on Wednesday so if you need a hand let me know.

WiFi was an issue when I was testing the viability yesterday (VPN related issues).

I suspect that a lot of folk will use the Live Audio broadcast as an excuse not to turn up on the night. That'll be a pity. What's a couple of hours for the future of your Football team?

That would be a shame. The idea of live broadcasting is to allow folk in far flung places or those who quite simply can't get there, to hear what's going on, so if you can make it, please come along.