Keeping The Manager - A Positive Reason

Fawlty Towers

On 2/10/2023 at 3:39 PM, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Now I'm on the fence with this debate but to bring balance I'll have an opposite opinion.

McCall gets the club and suppport.  He loves it and most of us love him for that excluding the poor results of recent times.

He is proven to spot and attract good players.  This season we started well but have had major injury issues to deal with and lack of substantial funds to strengthen this mid season.  When we have out first choice XI, 433, attacking full backs and wingers we can match anyone.

The team this season is of a higher quality than last season and we could bring in more quality for next season.

I would argue he should change 1 or both assistants like Alex Ferguson did on a regular basis to shake up team.

He’s not proven to spot new talent, forget about Doolan and Erskine that was the legendary Bobby Dinnie 

Most people knew guys like Milne , Tiffoney , Holt were ok players already .

In terms of spotting new talent , we’re sadly lacking in picking up lower league players and coaching them to make them better .

We’re going absolutely nowhere under Ian MCcalls management.

• Like 2

Changing manager at the moment would be madness. IMO It’s quite clear we aren’t good enough to go up but having said that we still have a chance of top 4 and while that is still a possibility you cannot sack a manager unless you have someone who is almost 100% gonna do a better job. The time to take stock is towards the end of the season. Got a feeling that the gaffer may decide enough is enough or may move upstairs.  If we were in a relegation fight then maybe yes change manager.  Think it is also worth remembering McCall came back in our hour of need and brought us back up first time of asking.   He has also kept some resemblance of stability when it has been chaos above him for most of the season. Let’s take stock in April. btw my opinion is that it will be time for change but only if we have someone who can do better.   

no doubt everyone will be throwing Ian Murray’s name in now because he has had a few good results !! 

Edited by dibble

On 2/5/2023 at 12:00 PM, Woodstock Jag said:

That is exactly the job of a football manager. If your squad is picking up lots of injuries it’s either or both because you’ve signed a bunch of injury prone players and/or you’ve not put in place proper conditioning and injury prevention strategies.

Injuries aren’t (for the most part) a case of good or bad luck. It tells you a lot about what is being prioritised behind the scenes. Good managers mitigate and plan for absences and build a squad designed to minimise them in the first place.

Not Convinced - in all sports -injuries are common place -yes you can do all the normal things to try and prevent them - but a simple wrong way your foot hits the ground or a simple turn the wrong way and boom your injured - add to the fact Football is a contact sport and then luck plays a part 

the larger Clubs have larger pools -so can plan a bit better 

does luck play a part in success - well Years ago I read a report by MIT that studied decisions of major Companies and they factored in what they called “ non foreseeable impact factors” ie luck in success and failure - it ran about 50% in the positive or negative outcomes of Companies 

All Football Managers to an extent rely on luck - eg how strong is the opposition that year - Board and Financial backing eg Owen Coyle & QP Scenario 

How good is your back up support on things like Scouting - Youth Development 

Davie Moyes once said the definition of a Good Football Manager is one that is still in a Job 

Im in no position to judge Colly as I haven't seen enough games ( plus he is a Friend -so Im biased ) but a key factor in any success of an organisation is stability at the top  and good leadership ?

To put it mildly there has been a lot of change shall we say - last time we were promoted -we had stability in the Boardroom and Finances were solid 

Colly is still in touching distance of a Play Off Spot - the Rangers Game brings in much needed funds for me under the circumstances - thats not bad 

He is well connected in Football -judging by the number of loan players he manages to get

So lets see where we end up this Season before we judge 

19 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Not Convinced - in all sports -injuries are common place -yes you can do all the normal things to try and prevent them - but a simple wrong way your foot hits the ground or a simple turn the wrong way and boom your injured - add to the fact Football is a contact sport and then luck plays a part 

does luck play a part in success - well Years ago I read a report by MIT that studied decisions of major Companies and they factored in what they called “ non foreseeable impact factors” ie luck in success and failure - it ran about 50% in the positive or negative outcomes of Companies 

All Football Managers to an extent rely on luck - eg how strong is the opposition that year - Board and Financial backing eg Owen Coyle & QP Scenario 

Davie Moyes once said the definition of a Good Football Manager is one that is still in a Job 

Im in no position to judge Colly as I haven't seen enough games ( plus he is a Friend -so Im biased ) but a key factor in any success of an organisation is stability at the top  and good leadership ?

To put it mildly there has been a lot of change shall we say - last time we were promoted -we had stability in the Boardroom and Finances were solid 

Colly is still in touching distance of a Play Off Spot - the Rangers Game brings in much needed funds for me under the circumstances - thats not bad 

He is well connected in Football -judging by the number of loan players he manages to get

Agree with some of your points JJ re injuries but can’t agree that Ian McCall hasn’t been backed financially especially with Colin Weirs money .

QP have also been backed financially and have got a slightly better player with the likes of Tommy Robson, Dom Thomas , Josh McPake etc but hardly world beaters.

My own personal opinion is that without any real financial backing we’ve got to back ourselves in youth development, talented coaches who can make players better , have a scouting system to identify players.

Having players like Allegri , Weston and McKinnon on loan from Rangers hasn’t enhanced our team , surely it must be better to give our own Academy kids a chance to see if they can step up rather than develop other Club’s players.

You know Ian MCCall better than I do but in my opinion the jury is out on the direction the Club is going in and change is probably needed.

Tommy Robson seemed ok for us, but I don't think any of us were that concerned when we let him go.

Josh McPake has been out on loan from Rangers a number of times and hardly set the world on fire before this season.

Dom Thomas has always seemed a decent player, but were any of us desperate to sign him when he left Dunfermline?

I did hear from a usually reliable source (someone who knows many players personally) that we tried to sign Thomas last summer, but he got offered double to join QP

8 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Agree with some of your points JJ re injuries but can’t agree that Ian McCall hasn’t been backed financially especially with Colin Weirs money .

QP have also been backed financially and have got a slightly better player with the likes of Tommy Robson, Dom Thomas , Josh McPake etc but hardly world beaters.

My own personal opinion is that without any real financial backing we’ve got to back ourselves in youth development, talented coaches who can make players better , have a scouting system to identify players.

Having players like Allegri , Weston and McKinnon on loan from Rangers hasn’t enhanced our team , surely it must be better to give our own Academy kids a chance to see if they can step up rather than develop other Club’s players.

You know Ian MCCall better than I do but in my opinion the jury is out on the direction the Club is going in and change is probably needed.

I think on lots of levels the Club is stagnant and stuck in a rut- and has been for some time - no one can deny that off the park issues impact on the Football side -

regards playing our own Youth Players I agree - however the fact we don't -would suggest they may not be good enough - the arms length set up meaning that the Club does not have direct control of the Weir Academy doesn't help  - plus given the large sums of money pumped into it over the Years what has it actually produced ?

My honest view is that there is a General Malaise with no real sense of direction - we are obviously going through change in the Ownership Structure - however this has to be a separate issue on how the Club performs off the park and on it  

10 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

The two sentences highlighted I feel are key. Only if you've a decent scouting set up can you question the efficiency of your youth development. Turned the other way if you have an effective youth system the need for an extensive scouting system is of less importance. 

McCall is indeed "well connected" and I think over time his balance of payment re good loanees and duds will be in the plus side. Bringing in quality loan players is more crucial if either the scouting or youth development set ups are not producing the goods. 

Main point being, regardless who the manager is if the above three components (scouting, youth dev and incoming loanees) ain't up to scratch he'll struggle. ,

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

At the start of the season i would say most if not all of us felt we had a squad good enough to challenge for the title. Now that it looks as if 4th is the best position we will get. If we don't manage the play offs i feel we should have a new manager in place next season.

I think the current board are only in place until the end of the season. So they may be reluctant to make a big decision like replacing the manager, unless we were in danger of relegation, which i don't see happening.

• Like 1