Today's Game

Jaggy1967

Normally if we had been sitting mid-table or just below I woudl have gone for the Cup run and worried about making the points up later, but we desperatley needed to get a win and get off the bottom, there was (is?!) a real danger of the heads staying down.

If we can keep up the performances now that's the thing.

Tell that to Livingston.

In my view, economics and common sense dictate that we secure our league position first and foremost.

Any cup run is a most welcome bonus.

Imagine that at the start of the season... chosing between a cup final of any description or 3 league points.

Total fool that I am ! At least I don't look like Barney Rubble lol

Assuming we are riding our luck with wins in Digwall recently :rolleyes:

I would rather have won next week than today to be honest. What do you all think ?

Absolutely not. Staying in the First Div. is far more important than the Challenge Cup - I haven't been to a Challenge Cup match since we beat Cowdenbeath at Central Park in the early 90s - couldn't give a flying one about it.

Psychologically I think it's a great boost to get off the bottom of the table. I'd settle for a draw at home against Falkirk then wins away to Stirling and home to Cowden.

Absolutely not. Staying in the First Div. is far more important than the Challenge Cup - I haven't been to a Challenge Cup match since we beat Cowdenbeath at Central Park in the early 90s - couldn't give a flying one about it.

Psychologically I think it's a great boost to get off the bottom of the table. I'd settle for a draw at home against Falkirk then wins away to Stirling and home to Cowden.

We have 36 chances in the league.... I reckon it would be worth not winning a single game for the sake of a cup final ...yes a cup final...so there you have it ..my opinion !

I'd take 3pts today even over a win in the Alba final never mind the semi. I miss few games and find all this refreshing web pages to say the least stressful. I can't believe if I don't go next week I'll be near as uptight as today.

Yes, it would be grand to be in a final but let's be honest it's hardly an open-top bus affair. Just look at last year's winners. Pride in winning a trophy should equate to enviousness of others who don't. Few give a toss about the Alba Cup.

If however McCall puts out a good handful of the youngsters next week and if successful also in the final, I'll be more than willing to change my mind about the status of this trophy. Till that occurs today's win is to me at least far more important than next Sunday's outcome.

We have 36 chances in the league.... I reckon it would be worth not winning a single game for the sake of a cup final ...yes a cup final...so there you have it ..my opinion !

I think you'll be pretty much on your own.

Losing or drawing today would not have guaranteed a win next week <_< .

For the Jags fans that want a cup final to attend I obviously hope that we win next week as well. Spending my Sunday afternoon in some hell-hole like Airdrie to watch the final of a nothing tournament doesn't particularly appeal to me.

I'd take 3pts today even over a win in the Alba final never mind the semi. I miss few games and find all this refreshing web pages to say the least stressful. I can't believe if I don't go next week I'll be near as uptight as today.

Yes, it would be grand to be in a final but let's be honest it's hardly an open-top bus affair. Just look at last year's winners. Pride in winning a trophy should equate to enviousness of others who don't. Few give a toss about the Alba Cup.

If however McCall puts out a good handful of the youngsters next week and if successful also in the final, I'll be more than willing to change my mind about the status of this trophy. Till that occurs today's win is to me at least far more important than next Sunday's outcome.

Take it you will be shopping if we make the final then.. and shopping the next day when we parade the cup. and won't be clapping in the Jackie H stand. F get a grip .. shitty cup or not it is as close as we are likely to get to winning anything. Think of the youngsters that are being encouraged by the club to attend. Think how much of a buzz that will give them! Maybe that may keep them coming back and being the future of our club. :wall:

Take it you will be shopping if we make the final then.. and shopping the next day when we parade the cup. and won't be clapping in the Jackie H stand. F get a grip .. shitty cup or not it is as close as we are likely to get to winning anything. Think of the youngsters that are being encouraged by the club to attend. Think how much of a buzz that will give them! Maybe that may keep them coming back and being the future of our club. :wall:

Aye, but just think how many fans we'll lose if we get relegated? Nevermind eh, least we got to the Challenge Cup final!

Aye, but just think how many fans we'll lose if we get relegated? Nevermind eh, least we got to the Challenge Cup final!

Did you attend any cup match this season so far ? will you attend the Scottish Cup when it starts ?

FFS why bother we ain't gonna winit so don't bother !

Unbelievable the lack of desire some fans have !

Did you attend any cup match this season so far ? will you attend the Scottish Cup when it starts ?

The question was, which would you prefer, to win today in the league or win a semi final in the Challenge Cup next week.

I think it's reasonable to say that at this point, we desperately need points in the league - any more losses could see us anchored at the bottom of the table as everyone else accelerates away from us - not so much as a relegation dogfight but a torpedoed boat. All the 'glamour' of the Challenge Cup pales considerably when you consider it in the context of playing part-time football in the 2nd next year. No-one mentioned the Scottish Cup, people are just answering a pretty silly hypothetical question.

I have a desire not to see Thistle relegated again,we needed 3pts today and we need to keep picking up points as imo getting relegated could end our club.If we fail to get to the challenge cup final i dont think that would finish us of.

Sorry, but you asked whether we thought today's result was more/less important than next week's result. I gave you my answer.

Btw why would I go shopping instead of going to the final? I don't know when was the last time I've missed a Challenge Cup game (next week may well be the first time in many seasons). And seriously, if we were lucky enough to win the trophy, do you really think we'd be parading the Alba Cup the following day?

Sorry, but you asked whether we thought today's result was more/less important than next week's result. I gave you my answer.

Btw why would I go shopping instead of going to the final? I don't know when was the last time I've missed a Challenge Cup game (next week may well be the first time in many seasons). And seriously, if we were lucky enough to win the trophy, do you really think we'd be parading the Alba Cup the following day?

Edited by Jaggy1967

Lack of desire? How about some realism, we are in a relegation battle & EVERY point we gain up until the last game of the season will be vital. I think we'll escape the bottom 2, but by a bawhair. A win today not only helps with the lack of points on the table, but will also boost the confidence of the players & fans.

You seem to be the only one who would rather win next week next week than today, I think that says it all.

Lack of desire? How about some realism, we are in a relegation battle & EVERY point we gain up until the last game of the season will be vital. I think we'll escape the bottom 2, but by a bawhair. A win today not only helps with the lack of points on the table, but will also boost the confidence of the players & fans.

You seem to be the only one who would rather win next week next week than today, I think that says it all.

I understand that the chance of a cup final is appealing but I have to agree with the majority. League win today was more important. Gave me real joy to see final result (particulary as the yanks were on top in the Ryder cup at the time LOL !!!)Now we can focus on next week and hopefully reach a cup final. I do believe it would be very good for the club to get to the final and , despite some saying they don't care one bit, I'd suspect most would take some satisfaction in jags making a final. After all, they don't come along very often for us.

Hope goal for Chris today will boost his confidence. Also pleased to hear Grehan had a good game today. shame not many there to witness it. I've always felt if we get Archie fit and in defence and Jackie Mac in the midfield, we will be more competative. Today is a start.....time to push on.