Play Off Watch

Lenziejag

We are only 10 games in but almost 1/3 through the season. Our likelihood of reaching the playoffs has been mentioned in several posts and I thought it might be interesting to compare where we are against last season. After 10 games we were top on 20 points. Even so we were only 3 points ahead of 5th/6th. 
This season we are 3rd on 15 points and are 3 points ahead of 5th/6th, although Arbroath have a game in hand. 
Not much in it. I think we are slightly worse off, although we did go on that 5 game losing run.

Last season we had two clubs (Ayr & QP) performing above expectations. This season perhaps there's just the one (Raith). After 10 games last season's winners were a point a game worse off than their city rivals are this season. Looks to me play off places are going to be realistically attainable to more clubs this season but the title is probably off the radar for all but Dundee Utd.

We're still on track to reach the play offs but I think we're less aware of who our rivals are going to be. It's these as yet unknown "6 pointers" that'll make all the difference. 

13 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Last season we had two clubs (Ayr & QP) performing above expectations. This season perhaps there's just the one (Raith). After 10 games last season's winners were a point a game worse off than their city rivals are this season. Looks to me play off places are going to be realistically attainable to more clubs this season but the title is probably off the radar for all but Dundee Utd.

We're still on track to reach the play offs but I think we're less aware of who our rivals are going to be. It's these as yet unknown "6 pointers" that'll make all the difference. 

I would add Morton to the list of doing better although they failed to make the playoffs. They also were struggling at the start of last season but went on a good run about this time last season.

I have already posted on another thread, Dundee Utd winners, Raith Rovers second and any 2 from the remaining eight for the last 2 playoff places.

Last season you could see that with our strongest 11 we would be the best team in the league or certainly very close to number 1. We had a horrific run of results when we had to rely on our squad.

This season our strongest 11 is certainly not as good Dundee United and probably not as good Raith or Arbroath.

What is helping us this season is Ayr, Queens Park, ICT, Dunfermline and Morton have all so far had poor starts. I suspect Ayr and Queens Park have problems that will only be fixed by a change in manager. Morton have struggled with injuries but I reckon if they keep their starting 11 fit they are about the same standard as us. Dunfermline have done ok but just don't have the same quality up front as us. ICT have had a poor start but recent acquisitions and a new manager bounce may bring them closer to us. 

Airdrie are perhaps outperforming as most promoted clubs tend to. Not too sure they will sustain it after January as teams get familiar with them but equally I don't see them dropping to the bottom. ICT and Morton are bottom just now but nowhere near far enough away from us that we shouldn't still have concerns about relegation.

So this season I genuinely think we could still finish anywhere from 4 to 10th whereas last year Iast season it was almost inconceivable to have finished any lower than 6th. We urgently need to sort out our midfield otherwise we could have a season similar to Whyte and Britton in 2004/05 where we got to a decent start, ignored the deficiencies and found out too late that what we had wasn't good enough.

The last two seasons have seen the winners only decided in the final game and second last games which I don't see happening this season. I think Dundee United will win with a bit to spare which means their points total will be higher than Killie's or Dundee's. This in turn pushes the other teams totals down. Also I don't think the bottom two will be as bad over the season as Cove and Accies were so that again means the other teams won't take as many points off them. So I expect one team to have a gap at the top with the other 9 fairly compressed.

So picking up points on a regular basis will be important - no long losing streaks please. Even if it is a point when not playing well is vital. 3 uninspiring draws against Queens Park before Doolan took over would, if everything else went the same way, have seen us finish second.

Just checked and since Doolan became manager we have not lost 2 league games in a row - long may that continue.

Edited by Fawlty Towers
  • Like 1