Got The Blues

4 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Not sure if this is the right solution but I do appreciate that there is a problem which it would be helpful to address. Speaking neutrally as a fan of open attacking football it always annoys me when a player beats another player with a bit of trickery, or a player is sprung forward through an enterprising series of quick passes, a defender will often wrestle the player in possession to the ground and stifle the promising move at birth.

Occasionally that defender is the last man and is rightfully red carded. However, 90% of the time the offending player is lauded as “taking one for the team”. Indeed a player can often be criticised for not fouling an opponent early on in a move that leads to an attack. A yellow card does not really help the other team (unless it goes to make up a red). Therefore the defending side has killed the move and got away Scot free. 

There is definitely a case for a more effective remedy to discourage cynical fouls. Not sure if the blue card is the best idea, but willing to give it a try.

What is wrong with using the referee's decision and applying them based on that? They can have a word, issue a yellow, issue a yellow and advise any further foul will result in a dismissal or send the bugger off. Why does making another option help anything?

Have you considered the potential issue with a player having to warm up again and a higher potential for injuries?

I read it has been used for dissent issues at Sunday league football in England but does not seem to be the reason for expansion into the senior/ professional game. 

It's a bit unfair when a player is fouled and has to go off for treatment whilst the offending team remain with eleven on the pitch. Think sin bins are totally impractical at professional/spectator level but I wouldn't necessarily be against an offending player withdrawal to redress this one situation. Even at that I admit to not thinking the idea thru so maybe that's either impractical or open to abuse? 

It may work in rugby but I don't see how it will improve football. Teams will use legitimate time wasting tactics to slow the game down while they have a player in the sin bin. Who wants to see the ball taken in to the corner in the first half, it's bad enough at the end of the game.

Referees won't punish everyone for cynicism, dissent etc. or we'll be playing 7 v 8. In a scenario where a group of angry players confront the referee, will he instantly reduce that team to 7 players (or 6, and abandon the game)? Referees will use their discretion as they do now and face criticism of bias.

I'm all for cutting out the cynicism but football needs to find an appropriate sanction. My suggestion would be to award a free kick to be taken anywhere the team  chooses, outside the penalty area. If offences continue then award a penalty.

I will use the lady-isobel-barnett defence here. I haven't thoroughly thought this through.

Part of the the problem, in my opinion, is that rules are just not applied or at least applied on a consistent basis. When was the last time you say a goalkeeper penalised for holding the ball longer than 7 seconds? Count how many times it happens today on both sides. Did a rule not get brought in a while back that if you were penalised and a free kick given against you and dissent was given the ref marched the free kick 10 yards forward - do we ever see that?

6 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

The 10 yard rule was dropped about 20 years ago, along with the equally daft golden goal extra time 

Well shows what I know (or don't know). Next you will be telling me you can't push the keeper over the line when he has the ball in his hands and claim a goal and when did keepers stop wearing woolen turtleneck tops?

Seriously though it seems the rulemakers go through phases of "this is going to solve problem x" then ditch that idea and later complain that problem x is still around.

Edited by Fawlty Towers