Just In

Glad you found it so boring, in fact your apathetic reaction is exactly what is wrong round Firhill these days amongst fans.

Oh Argus! Since this new forum is a place of brotherly love, I'll steer clear of taking the bait, but you are misguided and you do seem to be heading for an ulcer if you're not careful. I've never tried it myself, but perhaps some yoga to help you find your inner self?

Anyway, as for "boring", I think you have me pegged all wrong. I got to the game at 2pm yesterday so that me and a few others could dish out season ticket renewal flyers on behalf of the Club (I hope that you got yours). After sticking around until 3:15 to make sure I caught the stragglers, I bought my ticket, headed inside and enjoyed a fairly good (if frustrating) first half.

At half time, I had a quick trot up and down the pie queues with the flyers to make sure nobody was missed out before listening to big Brian Welsh's "unique" rendition of his new song, which I found highly entertaining. (Make sure you buy a copy of the song, folks. It's all for charity!)

More of the same in the 2nd half, capped by an excellent winning goal. All in all, I wouldn't exactly call it a "boring" day out.

Anyway, enough about me: I hope you're keeping well. The Club needs all the supporters it can get, and you'll be no good to anyone laid up in hospital.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dull game, cracking goal. We've had so many games of a similar dull nature where it fizzles out to a goalless draw or we lose one, it's a nice change to win like that. Thought MacBeth looked great, Erskine was alright but don't think he was MOTM, probably Rowson for that. If Grehan can be a bit sharper on goal then he'll be a good player for us I think, good buildup play but lacking slightly in the finish.

Much like how I felt after the game. Doolan really made a difference when he came on. Typical unpredictable Thistle to score a peach like that in what was the final action of a truly awful season overall (bar the first three months).

I thought the ref was excellant as well. Maybe someone who knows the rules (!) can confirm but I assumed he was kept on the sidelines as it was a blood injury (nose) and the ref had to check it had stopped bleeding before being allowed back on which meant that he had to wait for play to stop.

As for the game, I quite enjoyed it as well. Certainly not the worst this season. Like others, thought MacBeth was the motm with Rowson, Grehan and Tuffey also doing well. Also think Corrigan does a lot of good things defensively but lets himself down by his distribution. Much like Archie. At this level defenders should play a short pass out of defensive to someone who can play a bit.

That was my interpretation of the situation. The guy couldn't come back onto the park until the ref or the linesman could check that he'd stopped bleeding. The game went to quite a bit without a stoppage that the ref could get a chance to check him over.

I thought Rowser was the MOTM but MacBeth was excellent aand really ran him close. I think Grehan looks to have a good bit of potential, he's decent in the air and links up the play really well, if he can improve his shooting and final ball then i think he'll be a great addition.

I think it was fitting for Tuffey to have such a good game in his last appearance. He's been a great player over the last few years and it was good to see him at the top of his game one last time :worshippy:

Although there were several longish period of dross, overall it wasn't a bad game at all, with both keepers pulling off some excellent saves. Rowson had a great game, as did MacBeth, who shows a lot of dig and guile for a youngster. Grehan worked hard and caused them a few problems; I'll be happy with him, Doolan (brilliant goal), Liam, and one bigger guy up front for the start of next season. Tuffey was excellent again; we'd simply have lost the match if he hadn't made those two terrific saves, one in each half. And as for Erskine, a great entertainer, who'll create a lot of goals for us. You can hear the ripple of anticipation in the crowd every time he gets the ball, and rightly so, as he can skin defenders with ease. The problem is that he's prone to skinning himself and his team-mates as well, he's not yet the polished article, but I think it'll come. When he rounded the keeper yesterday it was clear that he was too far to be able to get in a clean shot, so he did the right thing by squaring it back to Donnelly, who had failed to stay alert. I think that was symptomatic of SD's abilities now; he no longer has it, and should be one of the ones that we don't see again. I'd rather have Maxi in the team next season than Donnelly, Maxi showed that he still has a turn of speed!

Edited to add: Will be sorry to see the old navy blue strip retired. I'd like that to remain our one and only alternative outfit. Let them add a pink stripe or two if they want.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Was my first game yesterday since we got mauled 4-1 off Dunfermline at Firhill in January, just lost total interest, but felt I had to go along last day of season to ease my conscience!

Was an ok game considering the circumstances, end of season, neither team anything to play for. Thought Tuff played well, sad to see him go wherever he goes, all the best to him for the rest of his career. Thought Corrigan had a solid game, and for me is a better player than Paton. Conroy steady but nothing special, don't know what the plans are for left back next season with Archie injured? Hopefully Boyle out the door from what I've heard of him, although I've hardly seen him this season.

Maxy too slow, I'd chop him. Robbo played well, reads the game well.

In midfield, Rowser played well, I'd keep him for next season definitely. Encouraged by what I saw from MacBeth, looks composed on the ball, confident, not afraid to have a dig or try a killer pass, he must feature more next season, I'd rather guarentee him a game than sign some journeyman diddy released from Killie or somethin. You can tell he's been coached by Sid all season, always looked like he had time on the ball, looking forward to him improving next season. Hodge was ok, wouldn't mind if we chopped him though.

Sid was ineffectual behind the front 2, I've enjoyed his season, he is a class act, great touch and composure, but in terms of the first team I'd like to think if we keep him as a coach next season, his role will be bit part for next season.

Grehan played well, put himself about. Get a good pre-season behind him hopefully he can improve, obviously not the finished article, but I think he looks a bit in the Scott McLean mould, can hold it up, athletic, good in the air, should have hit the target with his chances yesterday, but that will hopefully come, but encouraged a lot by Grehan. Erskine, beats a man maybe once a half and gets in a good position and his final ball isn't right, or he hasn't got the composure. I'd hold onto him, another season coming off the bench to try and change games, I don't think he'll be on a great deal in terms of a wage, so I'd give him another season, see what happens.

Very impressed by Doolan when he came on, great goal, looked really keen and sharp, if the season went on another month I wouldn't bet against him scoring a few more. Again, won't be on mega bucks of a wage, worth another look next season.

Thinking of next year, I don't see us having enough to mount a challenge. I've lost faith a bit in McCall's signing ability after some of the nightmares this year. Find a decent striker to play with Grehan Buchanan Doolan. MacBeth must be given more games next season, get him in every first team squad and develop him. Need a decent centre back and left back. I'd be happy with Halliwell signing on to replace JT. Something a bit different in midfield, a goal scoring midfielder would be nice. Too bad McKeown couldn't keep injury free. We need someone to do what Hardie did for us.

That is all!

Was my first game yesterday since we got mauled 4-1 off Dunfermline at Firhill in January, just lost total interest, but felt I had to go along last day of season to ease my conscience!

Was an ok game considering the circumstances, end of season, neither team anything to play for. Thought Tuff played well, sad to see him go wherever he goes, all the best to him for the rest of his career. Thought Corrigan had a solid game, and for me is a better player than Paton. Conroy steady but nothing special, don't know what the plans are for left back next season with Archie injured? Hopefully Boyle out the door from what I've heard of him, although I've hardly seen him this season.

Maxy too slow, I'd chop him. Robbo played well, reads the game well.

In midfield, Rowser played well, I'd keep him for next season definitely. Encouraged by what I saw from MacBeth, looks composed on the ball, confident, not afraid to have a dig or try a killer pass, he must feature more next season, I'd rather guarentee him a game than sign some journeyman diddy released from Killie or somethin. You can tell he's been coached by Sid all season, always looked like he had time on the ball, looking forward to him improving next season. Hodge was ok, wouldn't mind if we chopped him though.

Sid was ineffectual behind the front 2, I've enjoyed his season, he is a class act, great touch and composure, but in terms of the first team I'd like to think if we keep him as a coach next season, his role will be bit part for next season.

Grehan played well, put himself about. Get a good pre-season behind him hopefully he can improve, obviously not the finished article, but I think he looks a bit in the Scott McLean mould, can hold it up, athletic, good in the air, should have hit the target with his chances yesterday, but that will hopefully come, but encouraged a lot by Grehan. Erskine, beats a man maybe once a half and gets in a good position and his final ball isn't right, or he hasn't got the composure. I'd hold onto him, another season coming off the bench to try and change games, I don't think he'll be on a great deal in terms of a wage, so I'd give him another season, see what happens.

Very impressed by Doolan when he came on, great goal, looked really keen and sharp, if the season went on another month I wouldn't bet against him scoring a few more. Again, won't be on mega bucks of a wage, worth another look next season.

Thinking of next year, I don't see us having enough to mount a challenge. I've lost faith a bit in McCall's signing ability after some of the nightmares this year. Find a decent striker to play with Grehan Buchanan Doolan. MacBeth must be given more games next season, get him in every first team squad and develop him. Need a decent centre back and left back. I'd be happy with Halliwell signing on to replace JT. Something a bit different in midfield, a goal scoring midfielder would be nice. Too bad McKeown couldn't keep injury free. We need someone to do what Hardie did for us.

That is all!

Glad you came back after your self imposed exile. Given what you missed not many could blame you staying away.

Find it quite interesting to read your opinion of certain players from someone who's missed the last 14 or so matches.

Glad you came back after your self imposed exile. Given what you missed not many could blame you staying away.

Find it quite interesting to read your opinion of certain players from someone who's missed the last 14 or so matches.

i've not been since the 4-1 game against dunfermline either, was going to go yesterday but a guy from ebay was coming to buy my drums so couldnt get to the game in time, we were absolute torcher and I think we have won about 3 of those 14 games you refer to, my opinion hasnt changed of the shecht players we have, everyones after match comments on the forum sum up that apart from rowser and JT everyone has been consistently pish!

i've not been since the 4-1 game against dunfermline either, was going to go yesterday but a guy from ebay was coming to buy my drums so couldnt get to the game in time, we were absolute torcher and I think we have won about 3 of those 14 games you refer to, my opinion hasnt changed of the shecht players we have, everyones after match comments on the forum sum up that apart from rowser and JT everyone has been consistently pish!

But then again you wouldnt know since you dont bother your backside going to games. Actually in several of those games where we got beat 1-0 we were not p1sh but played the other team off the park, due to a combination of good goalkeeping, missing sitters, hitting the bar and post we couldnt get the ball in the net.

You always seem to be one of the first calling for McCalls head despite the fact as usual you have never actually been to the game. I suppose your one of the fans who thinks we have a God given right in the SPL. Read Cowan in the Evening Times, Saturdays program etc the playing budget is being cut even more. We have no chance of getting to the SPL barring a miracle. I suggest you get real

But then again you wouldnt know since you dont bother your backside going to games. Actually in several of those games where we got beat 1-0 we were not p1sh but played the other team off the park, due to a combination of good goalkeeping, missing sitters, hitting the bar and post we couldnt get the ball in the net.

You always seem to be one of the first calling for McCalls head despite the fact as usual you have never actually been to the game. I suppose your one of the fans who thinks we have a God given right in the SPL. Read Cowan in the Evening Times, Saturdays program etc the playing budget is being cut even more. We have no chance of getting to the SPL barring a miracle. I suggest you get real

Any jags fan that goes regularly to games will know that we have played every team in this league off the park at some point,or in Dundee's case, 4 times, All is not as bad as it may seem ,2or 3 players in the summer ,a bit of work with 3 or 4 of our younger player's and we'll be ready for August

On the way out on Saturday, one or two people were pointing out a very senior citizen who, apparently, supported us at the 1921 Cup Final. I didn't get a good look at the old chap as he had his back to us. Thing is, that would make him 90-odd years old at least. Still possible though.

If this is true, would that make him the only surviving Jag to have been at that historic game? Can anybody throw any light on this matter?

On the way out on Saturday, one or two people were pointing out a very senior citizen who, apparently, supported us at the 1921 Cup Final. I didn't get a good look at the old chap as he had his back to us. Thing is, that would make him 90-odd years old at least. Still possible though.

If this is true, would that make him the only surviving Jag to have been at that historic game? Can anybody throw any light on this matter?

I'm fairly certain Lance said the gent was celebrating his 95th birthday. Think he posts on here under the username sigesige00.