For Those There Today

lennythistle

Obviously not nice to hear of your daughter leaving the game upset. However, regarding your fathers comments, I'm guessing the song you are referring to is the FTP and FTQ. IMO opinion this song is a statement of how religion has no place in Scottish football, such as that we will see tomorrow when the OF play. It is not a sectarian song. No offence but it does sound like you are easily offended with that comment i.e as an athiest.

In addition, that is a nice image of Partick Thistle you have created however, I wonder how many games you have attended in recent years. The language at Firhill is industrial at the best of times never mind when the time is performing badly (i.e. end of Dick Campbell era).

I am not easily offended but the song is objectionable from any reasonable stand point. Surely the point is that swearing has a place and a time but it should not take place in front of children at a club which hopes to attract a family fan club. I have always tried not to swear in front of my children and not in front of my grandchildren and i think it is ridiculous that i should be expected to allow morons passing as football fans to do so. I am sorry for you if you think that this is simply industrial language which i should simply accept.

p.s. this is lennythistles father.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really not getting on lennythistle or his dad's back, but I think what is being extrapolated from a particularly disappointing incident is quite wrong.

I do agree that the singing of the sectarian song was unwelcome and should in no way be tolerated by Thistle supporters, but in truth it was the worst thing that was shouted all day and to my knowledge nobody complained about it. The Old Firm have made massive progress on this front, but this has to be backed by the club. PTFC should perhaps remind fans in the next programme of the need to kick this kind of nonsense out of the matchday experience. Do the stewards only act on such songs at the OF grounds? IMO, the Stirling stewards could have had a word at this point. I heard the song and said nothing, lennythistle and his dad heard the song and said nothing, as did many others. In this respect, we are all as guilty as each other in tolerating this.

As I said before, Firhill has a dedicated family section, where swearing is banned. Take your child into any other section of the stadium and try to use the 'you shouldn't swear here in the presence of children' argument and I don't think you'll get much joy. Forthbank has no such family section. I understand that 'controlling your emotions and language' in front of children is something we should all aspire to but, whether you like it or not, swearing is something that will forever be heard at the football; no club will ever ban swearing. We all have to make a decision on whether we take our children into that environment. You can choose to go to the football and sit in the Family Section at Firhill and not hear swearing. You can also choose to sit in a mixed stand and probably hear swearing.

It's hard not to get personal and question specific people when something like this has been raised but i'd love to be transported to the Firhill that lennythistle's dad grew up watching Thistle in. Today's matchday experience is far more family oriented.

I am genuinely sorry for the experience of lennythistle's family today.

I am not easily offended but the song is objectionable from any reasonable stand point. Surely the point is that swearing has a place and a time but it should not take place in front of children at a club which hopes to attract a family fan club. I have always tried not to swear in front of my children and not in front of my grandchildren and i think it is ridiculous that i should be expected to allow morons passing as football fans to do so. I am sorry for you if you think that this is simply industrial language which i should simply accept.

When you went to games at Firhill did you used to sit in the main stand by anychance?

I have always tried not to swear in front of my children and not in front of my grandchildren

That's to be respected, but surely you have to admit it's unreasonable to expect everyone within a large gathering of people to adhere to it. Fair enough, I concede that extreme forms of swearing should be shunned in public, but you appear to be stating that swearing, even in an intense situation, is unacceptable full stop.

Now, if swearing is the refuge of the ignorant, is that a question of upbringing and/or educational standards? You appear to have a fine vocabulary and an admirable grasp of the English language, but are you suggesting those who don't shouldn't be allowed to express their feelings in a way that comes easy to them?

Baiting? No, it's a response to a post that, while finely worded, I find patronising, snobbish and elitist. Qualities that I reject as passionately as those identified by Lenny's father.

Sorry you find my comments patronising, snobbish and elitist, since that was not what i was hoping to get across.

However i doubt i could ever convince you to see things as i do because we clearly have different values and standards of what is and is not acceptable.

Swearing in front of children is unacceptable and that is not patronising, snobbish or elitist and only a fool would think otherwise. I hope you are simply trying to be clever and controversial and your posts are not to be taken seriously.

I hope you are simply trying to be clever and controversial and your posts are not to be taken seriously.

I'm completely serious. I find arch attitudes as off putting as boorish behaviour, but tend to focus on my own conduct instead of that displayed by others. We're a broad church and there are plenty of pews.

Edited by The Incredible Adam Spark

As I said the incident with your grandchild leaving upset is not a nice situation, especially because you told the individuals to tone it down. I don't shout and swear at the the football myself.

However, in my opinion the atmosphere at Scottish footbal grounds isn't family orientated, it may try and be but it isn't. I am currently living in England and have attended a few games. The first thing I have noticed is the difference in atmosphere compared to Firhill and away grounds, that is the foul language is more frequent and intense at our games. I don't want to sound harsh but if I had ten year old daughter and didn't want to her exposed to bad language I wouldn't take her to a football match. Not saying it is right but it is the reality of the situation. In addition, no need to feel sorry for me just my opinion.

Edited by kennypaton

That's to be respected, but surely you have to admit it's unreasonable to expect everyone within a large gathering of people to adhere to it. Fair enough, I concede that extreme forms of swearing should be shunned in public, but you appear to be stating that swearing, even in an intense situation, is unacceptable full stop.

Now, if swearing is the refuge of the ignorant, is that a question of upbringing and/or educational standards? You appear to have a fine vocabulary and an admirable grasp of the English language, but are you suggesting those who don't shouldn't be allowed to express their feelings in a way that comes easy to them?

No i am not suggesting that it is wrong for people to swear but everything has to be in context. Reasonable people will always try not to swear in front of children, no matter the intensity of the situation they find themselves in. some posts have commented on the absense of a family section in stirling albion ground but we and the offenders were seated in a section which had the childrens gate and therefore obvioudly there were a considerable number of children were subjected to the swearing. again, i must point out that my objection to the language was not a result of an isolated incident. the swearing was non stop from before the start of the match to the point of my objection. other comments have been made that i and my family should have moved. Why ? anyone wishing to attend a match , believing that they have a right to express themselves in any langauge they wish to use should have the decency to move themselves from the vacinity of families with children. I have been made out to be the intolerant snobbish offender, when in reality all i did was ask someone to tone down his langauage in the presence of children, not only my grand daughter but others unknown to me. all he had to do was either move or moderate his language. the resultant problem with the steward and the police was entirely his own fault or those with him.

anyone wishing to attend a match , believing that they have a right to express themselves in any langauge they wish to use should have the decency to move themselves from the vacinity of families with children.

I imagine they'd find that very difficult. Correct me if I'm wrong, but our support was weighted towards the end you were sitting, wasn't it? While the family gate was situated in that area, there was no designated family section.

Sorry you find my comments patronising, snobbish and elitist, since that was not what i was hoping to get across.

Perhaps I placed too much emphasis on the line that Thistle fans are "better" than others.

I come from Maryhill stock. My grandfather was a Thistle fan, as was his father. I didn't reject anything to become a Thistle fan and I certainly don't view myself as superior to any one else.

LennyThistle i can't believe your dad is quitting thistle after these years cause he heard some abuse l mean c'mon hardie at broomfield 4-2 match owen coyle alex rae andy mclaren novo ect have all got dogs abuse over the years nasty stuff aswell.Tell your dad get to firhill next week no excuses and if we win well he'll forgot all about it

Look at the abuse cowan hughes have took on forums and at games from alot more than 50 fans.There still going.Just need a thicker skin.

Personally l don't think thistle fans give even near enough abuse at games to refs and other teams players.Need to turn up on theirs and get behind our own players.

Grassing fellow thistle fans is out of order.I'm not joking or over blowing it one bit here but at Millwall you'd never grass in the first place but the odd one or two who have can't come back to games or even the manor on match days cause they know they'll cut,opened up,slashed or stabbed as a matter of course till you see you aint welcome at our place.It would just be expected and people wouldn't blink an eye when it did.You never talk to ob under any circumstances.You got off very very lightly

There's nowt with hello hello either.We should sing it with gusto big time.When l think of un pc songs l think of ones about mark walters bobo balde ibrox disaster davie cooper hillsborough munich 58 johnny doyle norrie mcarthie galatasaray at leeds.Hello Hello quite frankly doesn't register anywhere on the scale

check out the 2nd charming ditty hearts gave while in london.Would We ever sing this at a game i've never heard a song like that since i've been going to firhill and to away games since 97 so people should rap saying thistle fans are foaming at the mouth to much abuse and need to tone down.They should have a look at other clubs and see we're pretty tame and reserved with the shit we've had to put up with.

Grassing fellow thistle fans is out of order.I'm not joking or over blowing it one bit here but at Millwall you'd never grass in the first place but the odd one or two who have can't come back to games or even the manor on match days cause they know they'll cut,opened up,slashed or stabbed as a matter of course till you see you aint welcome at our place.It would just be expected and people wouldn't blink an eye when it did.You never talk to ob under any circumstances.You got off very very lightly

:no: Possibly the most depressingly un-thistle post ever.

Eh, no.

LennyThistle i can't believe your dad is quitting thistle after these years cause he heard some abuse l mean c'mon hardie at broomfield 4-2 match owen coyle alex rae andy mclaren novo ect have all got dogs abuse over the years nasty stuff aswell.Tell your dad get to firhill next week no excuses and if we win well he'll forgot all about it

Look at the abuse cowan hughes have took on forums and at games from alot more than 50 fans.There still going.Just need a thicker skin.

Personally l don't think thistle fans give even near enough abuse at games to refs and other teams players.Need to turn up on theirs and get behind our own players.

There's nowt with hello hello either.We should sing it with gusto big time.When l think of un pc songs l think of ones about mark walters bobo balde ibrox disaster davie cooper hillsborough munich 58 johnny doyle norrie mcarthie galatasaray at leeds.Hello Hello quite frankly doesn't register anywhere on the scale

check out the 2nd charming ditty hearts gave while in london.Would We ever sing this at a game i've never heard a song like that since i've been going to firhill and to away games since 97 so people should rap saying thistle fans are foaming at the mouth to much abuse and need to tone down.They should have a look at other clubs and see we're pretty tame and reserved with the shit we've had to put up with.

I think you have totally missed the point.

My dad isn't stopping going to matches as someone swore.

He is stopping going because due to the reaction of what i can only call a mob, we (and please don't dismiss the fact that there was a ten year old girl involved in all of this, as she is the key point here) were subjected to threats , chants of scum and feared for our safety.

I only see my daughter at weekends. today has been completely ruined. She has came home in tears after going to a football match....i say again...A FOOTBALL MATCH !!! I've had the spend the only day of the week i spend with her, trying to reassure her that no one was going to harm her....and i can say with my hand on my heart that while trying to leave i was not convinced that would be the case.

My dad, exhausted and emotional has now retired for the night.....my daughter did so a few hours ago and while she was a damn sight better than at 3.35 today, she has not been anywhere near her usual self. I've had to make a very difficult callto her mother to explain the events of the day and try to assure her that our daughter was not in harms way.

All night myself and my dad when he was replying to posts have tried to keep our dignity and our emotions in check.......well i'm sorry but ive had enough......i still see the faces of some today...i hear what we were called and i can hear the threats and see the surge towards us as we left the ground.

I've been accused of fabricating the story, been accused of causing the events, been told they were not bad...........My daughter....my only daughter who i would die for...left that ground today in shock and distress......i held her close and just got her out.....i said nothing, even in the worst of the provocation, when grown men advancing towards us, i said nothing.....i can't post on here what i wanted to do, i wont sink to that level.

you really that stupid to think we posted this tonight as we were upset over a few swear words....you think this is what this is all about ???

MY DAUGHTER WAS THREATEND. In hysterics screaming "help me dad" she was subjected to abuse and terror by a bunch of yobs !!! Yeah i know it was aimed directly at me and my dad (shows the intellect of the yobs as i had said not one word in protest of the swearing) but surely when those responsible saw the fear in her, they could have backed off.

I've had contact from someone at the club tonight to say i'll be looked after as will my family should we go back to firhill....just in case someone has a go at us....while ive yet to thank the individual for the support...what does that say about events today........that ive to live in fear of assault or worse should i take my family to firhill, just because my dad had the courage to ask someone to moderate their language !!!!!

Today was the one day of the week i got to spend with my little girl....we chose to spend the afternoon at the football........The consequences of that decision are going to have a huge impact on my family for days if not weeks to come. I really hope those involved have nightmares over their actions today......Cause my little girl is and i hate those responsible more that i could ever explain.

I think you have totally missed the point.

My dad isn't stopping going to matches as someone swore.

He is stopping going because due to the reaction of what i can only call a mob, we (and please don't dismiss the fact that there was a ten year old girl involved in all of this, as she is the key point here) were subjected to threats , chants of scum and feared for our safety.

I only see my daughter at weekends. today has been completely ruined. She has came home in tears after going to a football match....i say again...A FOOTBALL MATCH !!! I've had the spend the only day of the week i spend with her, trying to reassure her that no one was going to harm her....and i can say with my hand on my heart that while trying to leave i was not convinced that would be the case.

My dad, exhausted and emotional has now retired for the night.....my daughter did so a few hours ago and while she was a damn sight better than at 3.35 today, she has not been anywhere near her usual self. I've had to make a very difficult callto her mother to explain the events of the day and try to assure her that our daughter was not in harms way.

All night myself and my dad when he was replying to posts have tried to keep our dignity and our emotions in check.......well i'm sorry but ive had enough......i still see the faces of some today...i hear what we were called and i can hear the threats and see the surge towards us as we left the ground.

I've been accused of fabricating the story, been accused of causing the events, been told they were not bad...........My daughter....my only daughter who i would die for...left that ground today in shock and distress......i held her close and just got her out.....i said nothing, even in the worst of the provocation, when grown men advancing towards us, i said nothing.....i can't post on here what i wanted to do, i wont sink to that level.

you really that stupid to think we posted this tonight as we were upset over a few swear words....you think this is what this is all about ???

MY DAUGHTER WAS THREATEND. In hysterics screaming "help me dad" she was subjected to abuse and terror by a bunch of yobs !!! Yeah i know it was aimed directly at me and my dad (shows the intellect of the yobs as i had said not one word in protest of the swearing) but surely when those responsible saw the fear in her, they could have backed off.

I've had contact from someone at the club tonight to say i'll be looked after as will my family should we go back to firhill....just in case someone has a go at us....while ive yet to thank the individual for the support...what does that say about events today........that ive to live in fear of assault or worse should i take my family to firhill, just because my dad had the courage to ask someone to moderate their language !!!!!

Today was the one day of the week i got to spend with my little girl....we chose to spend the afternoon at the football........The consequences of that decision are going to have a huge impact on my family for days if not weeks to come. I really hope those involved have nightmares over their actions today......Cause my little girl is and i hate those responsible more that i could ever explain.

Simple question ? If surrounded with such hostility !! Why didn't you just relocate to a safer position ?

Edited by Jaggy1967

No i am not suggesting that it is wrong for people to swear but everything has to be in context. Reasonable people will always try not to swear in front of children, no matter the intensity of the situation they find themselves in. some posts have commented on the absense of a family section in stirling albion ground but we and the offenders were seated in a section which had the childrens gate and therefore obvioudly there were a considerable number of children were subjected to the swearing. again, i must point out that my objection to the language was not a result of an isolated incident. the swearing was non stop from before the start of the match to the point of my objection. other comments have been made that i and my family should have moved. Why ? anyone wishing to attend a match , believing that they have a right to express themselves in any langauge they wish to use should have the decency to move themselves from the vacinity of families with children. I have been made out to be the intolerant snobbish offender, when in reality all i did was ask someone to tone down his langauage in the presence of children, not only my grand daughter but others unknown to me. all he had to do was either move or moderate his language. the resultant problem with the steward and the police was entirely his own fault or those with him.

There was a childrens gate at the other end as well, so this was not some kind of family section.

The "Hello Hello" song shouldnt be confused with a bigoted song and anyone who thinks so is missing the point. Why you felt this was so offensive is beyond me. Thankfully no-one sung Mary from Maryhill!!

That said, any treatment you received in the aftermath is totally out of order.

Willing to state you were probably one of the yob !!! Or were you too busy looking for Allan Cowan to glass ? you mindless moron !!

Sorry Leonard, I wasn't even at the game today, now if you'd excuse me, my daughter reads this forum, so please have some respect.