For Those There Today

lennythistle

I attended the game today with my dad and ten year old daughter.

I'm sure a few who post on here are aware of the events that im about to mention and i am sure i'll take even more abuse now...but im saying this regardless.

If you were one of the 50 or so who swore, threatend and abused me, my dad and MY TEN YEAR OLD DAUGHTER , then you truly are the scum of the earth.

I am not naive to think swearing doesn't go on at matches and that it's wrong...but my dad felt that the level of abuse coming from behind us was totally out of order. The end we were in had a large number of young children in it and yes he was protecting his grand daughter.....who is TEN !!!

He may have asked the steward to deal with the issue but he sure as hell was not responsible for the events that followed. For us to be hounded out the ground after 35 minutes with my daughter in tears and terrified was an utter disgrace. If you are one of the yobs shouting, threatening, accusing us of being scum as we tried to leave then you are an utter disgrace. did you see the fear in my daughters face, are you proud you were threatening a child....a TEN YEAR OLD GIRL !!!!

Some tried to climb seats to get to us as we left.......we were as entitled to object to the level of abuse being dished out as some of you think you were entitled to give it. some behaved like animals as we made the decision to leave.

I've never once been embarrassed to call myself a partick thistle supporter.......today has changed all that.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's pretty shameful behaviour.

Surely the stewards could have done a bit more to protect you guys?

I understand there were at least one maybe two arrests. They were dealing with those arrests at the time we left and so had to fend for ourselves.....my only concern was getting my daughter a former mascot, out the ground safely. I can honestly say for a few moments i didn't think id achieve that. I never said a word to any one though i think my dad tried to defend himself....my only priority was my daughter.

I understand there were at least one maybe two arrests. They were dealing with those arrests at the time we left and so had to fend for ourselves.....my only concern was getting my daughter a former mascot, out the ground safely. I can honestly say for a few moments i didn't think id achieve that. I never said a word to any one though i think my dad tried to defend himself....my only priority was my daughter.

I was'nt at the game today mate. What exactly happened? What's the full story?

Lennythistle, sorry to hear the behaviour your family were subjected to from what I hope were a small minority of Jags 'fans'. Just when I thought it couldn't get worse, to hear of this sort of thing going on is just soul destroying. There can be no excuse, and I hope those involved hang their heads in shame when they read your post. It used to be fun supporting Thistle at away games, but unfortunately these days it can be just as embarrassing off the park as on it.

As a parent of a seven year old girl, I can totally understand that.

Really shocking behaviour, it is bad enough the team being rubbish without our 'fans' behaving like the lowlife OF scum that we usually look down upon.

I really hope these idiots haven't put your daughter off attending games in the future.

Whilst I condem any fans threatening others for any reason, why did your dad feel it necessary to complain to the stewards in the first place?

The language may have been "industrial" but it wasnt as bad as it normally is at most games.

The "events" that followed were caused by an over-zealous Steward who felt it neccesary to push the fan he was ejecting in the back. Shocking behaviour that was worse than anything anyone else said or done.

I attended the game today with my dad and ten year old daughter.

I'm sure a few who post on here are aware of the events that im about to mention and i am sure i'll take even more abuse now...but im saying this regardless.

If you were one of the 50 or so who swore, threatend and abused me, my dad and MY TEN YEAR OLD DAUGHTER , then you truly are the scum of the earth.

I am not naive to think swearing doesn't go on at matches and that it's wrong...but my dad felt that the level of abuse coming from behind us was totally out of order. The end we were in had a large number of young children in it and yes he was protecting his grand daughter.....who is TEN !!!

He may have asked the steward to deal with the issue but he sure as hell was not responsible for the events that followed. For us to be hounded out the ground after 35 minutes with my daughter in tears and terrified was an utter disgrace. If you are one of the yobs shouting, threatening, accusing us of being scum as we tried to leave then you are an utter disgrace. did you see the fear in my daughters face, are you proud you were threatening a child....a TEN YEAR OLD GIRL !!!!

Some tried to climb seats to get to us as we left.......we were as entitled to object to the level of abuse being dished out as some of you think you were entitled to give it. some behaved like animals as we made the decision to leave.

I've never once been embarrassed to call myself a partick thistle supporter.......today has changed all that.

Already from reading between the lines it seems you have twisted this to suit your outraged rant. Dont like swearing? dont go to the football.

I didn't see any of that, lennythistle, and I'm glad I didn't. I was two rows behind and like most decent Thistle fans, was trying to watch the football whilst the fracas was unfolding in relation to the guy getting ejected.

There seemed to be a body of opinion that all that had been indulged in was "banter", but the abuse to the linesman was toe-curling and full-on and at the time I thought that the steward was quite rfight to pull up the guy concerned. I didn't realise that a complaint had been made by someone in our support.

Whatever happened, the initial behavoiur was bad enough to reflect badly on us as Thistle fans, without the later stuff. It's been a bad day all round.

Edited by honved

I didn't see any of that, lennythistle, and I'm glad I didn't. I was two rows behind and like most decent Thistle fans, was trying to watch the football whilst the fracas was unfolding in relation to the guy getting ejected.

There seemed to be a body of opinion that all that had been indulged in was "banter", but the abuse to the linesman was toe-curling and full-on and at the time I thought that the steward was quite rfight to pull up the guy concerned. I didn't realise that a complaint had been made by someone in our support.

Whatever happened, the initial behavoiur was bad enough to reflect badly on us as Thistle fans, without the later stuff. It's been a bad day all round.

What was so toe-curling? I really didnt hear anything that isnt heard week in week out at football games all across the country, especially when the linesman was happy to give a penalty when, IMO, Halliwell fouled the guy outside the box. Deserved all he got.

Already from reading between the lines it seems you have twisted this to suit your outraged rant. Dont like swearing? dont go to the football.

And this is where we all need to grow up a bit. I'm not saying there can't be swearing, but if you are in the vicinity of a lot of young kids and you are asked to tone it down, then why can't you? Is your wit or your vocabulary so restricted? If we're actively putting the next generation off like this, then we won't have any more fans and we hasten the death of Partick Thistle. We should be the alternative to the OF, somewhere where parents can feel confident about taking their kids. What if I said: "If you don't like kids, don't go to the football?" Hardly fair is it, so why are you trying to exclude so many other fans? That's why we're supposed to be mature enough to take it on the chin if a parent voices their concerns, not berate them for it. Remember you're the adult and that doesn't mean acting entirely selfishly or immaturely.

And this is where we all need to grow up a bit. I'm not saying there can't be swearing, but if you are in the vicinity of a lot of young kids and you are asked to tone it down, then why can't you? Is your wit or your vocabulary so restricted? If we're actively putting the next generation off like this, then we won't have any more fans and we hasten the death of Partick Thistle. We should be the alternative to the OF, somewhere where parents can feel confident about taking their kids. What if I said: "If you don't like kids, don't go to the football?" Hardly fair is it, so why are you trying to exclude so many other fans? That's why we're supposed to be mature enough to take it on the chin if a parent voices their concerns, not berate them for it. Remember you're the adult and that doesn't mean acting entirely selfishly or immaturely.

Was there swearing at football in the past? yes

Did kids go to football in the past? yes

Has the development of those kids been negativley effected? no

Will there be kids and swearing at the football in future? yes

Did you kick up a stink which led to circumstances which saw you daughter scared? yes

Whilst I condem any fans threatening others for any reason, why did your dad feel it necessary to complain to the stewards in the first place?

The language may have been "industrial" but it wasnt as bad as it normally is at most games.

The "events" that followed were caused by an over-zealous Steward who felt it neccesary to push the fan he was ejecting in the back. Shocking behaviour that was worse than anything anyone else said or done.

Spot on. The chants of scum were aimed at the steward (a Mr A Paterson) who laid hands on the Thistle fan in his quest to prove he was a big man. Aye, the language was strong but the day we ban swearing at officials for atrocious decisions we might all as well go and support Livi. Bit disappointed in folk going straight to the stewards rather than having a word and asking to tone the language down if it was found to be offensive.

It's a sad day when a 10 year old lassie is verbally abused and reduced to tears at a football match.

Shame on those shouting at a wee girl.

Kids cry for little or no reason at the best of times even at that age !

Wasn't at the match to offer an opinion!

Was the person who complained to stewards a regular at matches ? If not maybe a bit of shock on his part mixed with an over zealous steward conspired to cause a total over reaction by all concerned ?

Dont think thats what happened to be fair, althought it was clearly what the op was trying to suggest. twisty twisty spin spin

Ok so it would appear the scum chants were directed at the over-zealous steward and lennythistle may have been mistaken there, but what about people threatening them? What about the guys trying to climb over chairs to get to them. Here's the bottom line (and I wasn't there btw) but a wee girl was left feeling scared by some Thistle fans, a dad felt so threatened and scared for his daughters safety he chose to leave...despite some mis-interpretations, that is unacceptable.

As for the guys dad approaching a steward and asking him to have a word, well what else is he gona do? He could have a 'quiet word' himself but what response do you think he would have received? He has a right to approach a steward if he feels offended and the steward has a duty to act on it. That shouldn't see the complainer labelled as the cause of other peoples behaviour.

Edited by Steven H

What was so toe-curling? I really didnt hear anything that isnt heard week in week out at football games all across the country, especially when the linesman was happy to give a penalty when, IMO, Halliwell fouled the guy outside the box. Deserved all he got.

it was pretty bad and if you did outside a football ground you would be lifted so what makes it any different in the ground.

the stuped bit was that the guy who the steward went to was told to keep it down and said ok no probs and that would have been that, it was his mate who would not shut up that was the problem.

the steward that tried to move him does need to work on his people skills.

and anyone who disagrees that shouting at a ten year old is ok should take a good look at themselves.