Just In

Camallain

I did have my reservations about the signing, I still do, but i've never questioned what he could bring to our team and he's certainly showing something that we have lacked up until his arrival.

I heard a couple of weeks ago ,from a jags fan, that his saintees mate reckons he'll be coming here on a more permanent basis in January, shrugged it off as usual rumour stuff but now hoping there's truth in it.

That would be great news if we could get him

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

by the sounds of it a few of us had a few kwid on thistle and are out celebrating our victory.

wanted to add - I thought hardie played well today but we weren't anything special, I would like to see a young boy getting a shot as much as anyone instead of loan playeers but I dont think the likes of bannigan or macbeth are up to the job of a regular starting place, Hardie seemed to drive us forward and give us a bit of presence in the middle, i think we would have struggled today without him and im glad we have got him for the short time, I hope the folk that weren't keen on us signing him have changed their minds.credit to McCall for once for getting him in.

thistle are rising again.

I had plenty reservations about signing BMMMH and am (as I said at the time) absolutely delighted if he is proving me wrong. Long may it continue.

I am worried about the fact that we aren't putting teams like Cowdenbeath to the sword though. We need to be more clinical. I really hope that Liam's goal will give him the confidence to get him back to his best. He is the one guy who can lift our season out of the mediocre.

Still loving the guy near the front of the JH who shouts inaudible things to the ref at every home game.

:lol: I had no idea what he was shouting either.

Hardie looked a step up from everyone else on the pitch.

I'm not McCall's greatest fan but I've never called for his head (who's the alternative??) - three league wins out of four - fine by me.

Ditto all the above, BMMMH what can you say; it really brings back memories of when we actually won stuff. I'll chip in an extra well done Paton. We're at the bottom of the division and the wee guy has reacted brilliantly. That referee was a real warmer, he was trying to get Liam carded and when Liam didn't rise to it the baldy *** just waited until his next chance, out of order. My working theory is that one of our players called him a baldy ***!

Hardie is more keen to get on the ball than anyone in the team. He's direct and he shouts at people who are passengers. Exactly what we need.

I couldn't agree more, PGS. Hardie was a workhorse throughout the game. Even when he was tiring, he still kept shouting encouragement to his teammates. Can we get some more like him, please!

Fair enough - we won today. But how people can say Hardie and Liam were immense is madness !

We were playing against a pish poor cowdenbeath team and we struggled to a one nil win at home.... For me Hardie showed nice touches near the end (last 20 mins) but was posted missing for long periods in the first half and first 15 of the second half. Liam had 3 great chances - Slammed one over of the stand roof, put the second one in the onion bag and missed a sitter for the 3rd.

but hey 3 points is 3 points, roll on next week.

p.s the keeper looked decent.

Have to agree about Hardie,when he was announced as MOTM there were a few puzzled looks around us.I thought Erskine,Boyle,Paton and Buchanan all merited the award ahead of Hardie,However 3 good points onwards and upwards

Hardie is more keen to get on the ball than anyone in the team. He's direct and he shouts at people who are passengers. Exactly what we need.

Absolutely. I can't comment on the Stirling game, but that's twice he's turned

out at Firhill, in 2 completely different roles, and been a standout both times.

He's improved as a footballer since his last stint here (how could that have

happened?) and has skill and vision to match his energy and motivation.

For one thing, he'll place a pass 10 yards IN FRONT OF the wide runner,

which gets a move flying. Rowser please note...

We won but we weren't great. We created plenty of opportunities but with 'beath putting 11 men behind the ball most of the game we just couldn't break them until a lucky break fell to Buchanan 3 yards out.

It's true that (for once) the break of the ball went our way, but Liam worked hard to get that break, and full marks to him for his dogged persistence. As I recall there were three Cowdenbeath defenders surrounding him and he should never have got a sniff at it, but his determination and grit caused them all kinds of trouble, and he took the chance brilliantly.

Not a bad game, all in all. They had a couple of tricky wee players, but nothing up front. We should actually have won by a few more goals.

Like the look of Fox in goal.

How can the blame be put on Halliwell all the time, clearly today Fox had hardly anything to do, arent the rest of the team to blame in other matches like today they keep missing goals and our defence at times is shocking!!!

Everytime a striker doesnt score or misses a penalty should we replace them and blame them for losing the game like we do with Halliwell!!

Some good points there, Bryn.

by the sounds of it a few of us had a few kwid on thistle and are out celebrating our victory.

wanted to add - I thought hardie played well today but we weren't anything special, I would like to see a young boy getting a shot as much as anyone instead of loan playeers but I dont think the likes of bannigan or macbeth are up to the job of a regular starting place, Hardie seemed to drive us forward and give us a bit of presence in the middle, i think we would have struggled today without him and im glad we have got him for the short time, I hope the folk that weren't keen on us signing him have changed their minds.credit to McCall for once for getting him in.

thistle are rising again.

Agreed that Hardie seems to be providing a force for going forward that we've been lacking of late.

Will agree with the final statement IF we beat Dundee next week.

It's true that (for once) the break of the ball went our way

To be fair, you can't just judge whether the 'break' is going our way by the goal we scored. We had one off the bar, one flying just over from paton and two one on ones just past the post from Liam. We totally dominated the game and there was little chance Cowdenbeath could have held on at nil-nil for as long as they wanted to (90 minutes). I'd actually class that game as one where the breaks weren't going our way but we won because we dominated so much that we deserved to.

To be fair, you can't just judge whether the 'break' is going our way by the goal we scored. We had one off the bar, one flying just over from paton and two one on ones just past the post from Liam. We totally dominated the game and there was little chance Cowdenbeath could have held on at nil-nil for as long as they wanted to (90 minutes). I'd actually class that game as one where the breaks weren't going our way but we won because we dominated so much that we deserved to.

:happy2:

Don't forget Robbo's bombscare moment. Carlos Tevez would have buried that.

Fortunately the wee Cowden guy put it past.

I think Robbo is going through a poor run of form at the moment. TBH I'd rather have had Willie in there yesterday, I'd expect the big man to come back to normal soon. The one thing that I noticed yesterdya was that it wasn't until the last third of the game that Robbo had the confidence tp play it out of defence instead of just blootering it up the park.

PS. What were folk on when they booed a phase of play where we retained possession by playing back and across the field?

PS. What were folk on when they booed a phase of play where we retained possession by playing back and across the field?

It was probably due to the perception that the passing back and forth was excessive, simply for its own sake rather than advancing an attacking move in any way. I do think that sometimes our players do this as an easy way out, rather than try to go forward and set up an attack that way.

No booing from me though.

I've pointed out what all the positives about yesterday but while people are chatting about Robertson, when was this spell when he was a solid, composed defender that we could rely on? I don't remember it. Sorry to go against the grain but, to me, he's always been slow, quite shakey on the ball unless he's got 20 yards clear in front of him, and has an awful tendency to lob a high ball forward at a 45 degree angle with the inside of his foot when he could bring it down and play it to Boyle or Paton. Not a big fan, to be honest.

I've pointed out what all the positives about yesterday but while people are chatting about Robertson, when was this spell when he was a solid, composed defender that we could rely on? I don't remember it. Sorry to go against the grain but, to me, he's always been slow, quite shakey on the ball unless he's got 20 yards clear in front of him, and has an awful tendency to lob a high ball forward at a 45 degree angle with the inside of his foot when he could bring it down and play it to Boyle or Paton. Not a big fan, to be honest.

That was the worst ref I've seen for....a while. Booking Liam for a silly bit of bad temper was bad enough, but did you see the beith player who got booked soon after for kicking the ball after the whistle had been blown, in the direction of where the free kick was to be taken! We were all shaking our heads in wonder at that. We did have a good laugh at the ref, as he did seem to be auditioning for a part as one of Madonna's gay dancers at one point, hand on hip and looking very camp. Not that there's anything wrong with that of course, but he was mince!

Edited by beep0608

I reckon we were inviting Cowden to come and have a go.

Get some men up the park for a change.

Perfectly legitimate tactic when you're 1-0 up.

My exact words to a colleague, when folk up the back were boo-ing, was "it's called keeping the ball".

I think Robbo is going through a poor run of form at the moment. TBH I'd rather have had Willie in there yesterday, I'd expect the big man to come back to normal soon. The one thing that I noticed yesterdya was that it wasn't until the last third of the game that Robbo had the confidence tp play it out of defence instead of just blootering it up the park.

Totally agree. We were one up, keeping possession and there were murmurs of discontent and shouts telling them to get the ball forward. Unbelievable. Is it any wonder Scottish football struggles on the international stage with that attitude. On the continent that sort of possession football is ,quite rightly, applauded.

Great comment about Hardie. It's amazing how rarely Thistle players do this. it drives me mad. It's such a basic thing and one of the first things I was taught when I was a kid. I really wonder what some of them to do at training.

Totally agree. We were one up, keeping possession and there were murmurs of discontent and shouts telling them to get the ball forward. Unbelievable. Is it any wonder Scottish football struggles on the international stage with that attitude. On the continent that sort of possession football is ,quite rightly, applauded.

to be honest i think it was more to do(in my case anyway) with them making a hash of it and giving the ball away.

and i didnt boo, or i would still have the bruses from Honveds elbows :white_flag:

Have to day Hardie looked impressive in terms of organisation and vision, though he slowed down a lot towards the end. It seems some of the players realise the gaps are there too late and can't utilise them and Hardie is encouraging them to move earlier. I'd try and get him on a permanant basis and make him captain should his fitness improve.

I'm not saying we were brilliant, it was very nervy for a game against a part time team, but to be honest they never looked like scoring. As said before, Liam appeared to gain confidence from his goal, despite it being probably the worst goal I've ever seen him score. I was impressed with the full backs, though the punt every time from Paton was very predictable.

Cowden made it very difficult though, they seemed to have 6-8 players on the back line most of the time leaving very little room for us to do anything.

Why do Thistle players seem to sclaff the ball more than any team I've ever seen?

It was probably due to the perception that the passing back and forth was excessive, simply for its own sake rather than advancing an attacking move in any way. I do think that sometimes our players do this as an easy way out, rather than try to go forward and set up an attack that way.

No booing from me though.

Great comment about Hardie. It's amazing how rarely Thistle players do this. it drives me mad. It's such a basic thing and one of the first things I was taught when I was a kid. I really wonder what some of them to do at training.

Spot On x 2. :thumbsup2:

Two glaring failures/shortcomings of life under McCall in past year.