This Celtic-Dundee Utd Refereeing Non-Issue

PaleGreySky

What exactly is all this about?

FACTS

-It wasn't a foul

-Noone thinks it was a foul

-The end result was that no foul was given

Who cares how the officials in a match come to a decision, so long as they get it right!? Celtic have apparently been saying they want people sacked over this. I hope the SFA dish out bans to Neil Lennon and warnings to their club for this.

Edited by PaleGreySky

FACTS

-It wasn't a foul

Who cares how the officials in a match come to a decision, so long as they get it right!? Celtic have apparently been saying they want people sacked over this. I hope the SFA dish out bans to Neil Lennon and warnings to their club for this.

Can't be bothered reading about it, I must admit. Something about a penalty? No interest whatsoever.

It's now moved on from that.

The linesman who resigned is in the paper today saying he was asked to lie by the referee to the match observer, that Dallas was told about the lies and did nothing (other than repeat the lies on Radio Clyde) and also that Dallas has alledgedly been bullying refs and assistants.

Regardless of the teams involved in the game it's rather worrying that officials are lying to cover up perceived mistakes (it turns out in this instance it wasn't a mistake and he was right to not give the penalty).

The linesman who resigned is in the paper today saying he was asked to lie by the referee to the match observer, that Dallas was told about the lies and did nothing (other than repeat the lies on Radio Clyde) and also that Dallas has alledgedly been bullying refs and assistants.

Regardless of the teams involved in the game it's rather worrying that officials are lying to cover up perceived mistakes (it turns out in this instance it wasn't a mistake and he was right to not give the penalty).

Yup,it's been discussed on phone ins for a few days. The ref (Dougie McDonald) gave the penalty then instantly changed his mind. He went to his linesman to buy some time then decided correctly that it wasn't a penalty. In the aftermath report McDonald told the observer his attention was drawn by the linesman say "Dougie, Dougie, you may have got that wrong"...this was a lie. Linesman made scapegoat, he resigns. McDonald, slap on the wrist and suddenly the Celtic fans are crowing that this proves their conspiracy theory. It had feck all to do wi them, it wasnt a penalty, they didnt get given a penalty and the referee got the decsion right.

Ironic that McDonald (and his linesman?) conspired to get a decision right and get all this press, yet when the same ref and his linesman completely feck up a decision that resulted in a goal being scored off the hand of a cheating Argintinian Dundee Utd player hardly a peep is heard.

Edited by Steven H

But it's been known for a long time, and widely accepted, that officials cheat according to their allegiances in any match involving the h*ns or tims. We've suffered from it on many occasions.

Sad, but true.

FACTS

-It wasn't a foul

Noone thinks it was a foul, aside from a lot of Celtic fans you mean. With their green tinted specs. It fits the "they're all out to get us" paranoid agenda. Pathetic, and the likes of Radio Clyde Not-so-Superscoreboard won't let it drop. I see that Kirk Broadfoot is similarly dishonest. Perhaps he really believes that he was fouled, but let that be my final say. I wish they would shut the.... drop it.

Spot on.

Ironic that McDonald (and his linesman?) conspired to get a decision right and get all this press, yet when the same ref and his linesman completely feck up a decision that resulted in a goal being scored off the hand of a cheating Argintinian Dundee Utd player hardly a peep is heard.

Spot on Steven.

When I saw the incident I rather admired that the officials had the courage to reverse the original decision. It was clearly the right thing to do.

However, the aftermath is all somewhat unsavoury. It's not healthy to see the lying and collaboration that has gone to support this and this will damage the image of our match officials (not that it was great to start with!)

Nevertheless, forget about Celtic's ridiculous levels of paranoia - what this does demonstrate is the considerable pressure that officials are put under particularly in games involving the Old Firm (and probably Celtic in particular given their record in this area).

I think those involved in the rewriting of the truth need to be punished in some way, but I also think Celtic and other clubs need to be reminded that it's their frequently ridiculous hogging of the post-match headlines that's probably driven (albeit wrongly) the officials to act as they have done.

What were the officials playing at ? In the end, they got the decision correct.

The way I saw it...

The ref gave the penalty.

The arabs protested and persuaded him to talk to the linesman.

The linesman said that the goalie played the ball.

The ref reversed his decision.

What on earth was wrong with that??!!??? Why concoct a half-baked tissue of lies??!!??? Just played into their hands. Suddenly they're not paranoid any more.

It's just a disaster. We're going to be hearing about this for the next 60 years!!!

Streuth....!!!