50/50 Draw

stolenscone

Following discussions with the Club, Tom Hogg (honved) and I have agreed to provide some assistance with the 50/50 Halftime Draw. Despite the efforts of a few stalwarts, the Club has found it difficult to find a large enough group of responsible and reliable volunteers who can pitch up on matchdays to assist with selling tickets. The result is that the Draw is not currently reaching its full potential to generate income for the Club.

It may be that some changes can be made in due course to make the Draw more attractive, but in the immediate term, it's simply a question of getting more bodies out there on matchdays to sell tickets.

I fully appreciate that volunteers have sometimes been treated less than hospitably by the Club in the past. That's partly why Tom and I have asked for a bit of autonomy to see if we can make a real success of it, hopefully working closely with the existing regular 50/50 ticket sellers. The intention is therefore to "badge" the 50/50 as being run under the broad umbrella of the Edinburgh & East of Scotland supporters' branch, although all profits from the Draw will still go to the football club as before.

I am therefore writing to ask if there are any reliable folk out there who would be willing to form a regular pool of folk to sell 50/50 Draw tickets on matchdays, starting with the Morton game a week on Saturday. If so, please PM honved and me with your details.

It's not esp. glamorous, but it's a real, tangible and measurable way for you to help your football club and your help would be greatly appreciated.

I hope to hear from at least a few of you over the next week.

All the best

David Stewart

I don't understand who you think will buy tickets who don't already. They are already sold in the Aitken Suite, at the top of the hill (and you'll find it's part of the routine for a lot of people to buy them from there) and from various points throughout the concourse once you're through the turnstiles.

Good luck with it anyway, especially if the major changes to it in the future bring in more money to the club.

As a 50/50 seller and a programme seller ( the annoying girl in the Aitken suite!), I think you will find that people have the people they buy off and most see it as a waste of money. I wish you luck in trying to generate more funds from 50/50 selling and changing peoples opinions of it.

Having been selling them since March, I am only now getting "regulars" who buy a few with the programme and match ticket. There is people like Donna (concourse) and Ian (the man at the top of the hill) who easily sell 20 books each. That will not change, and i think it would be unfair to give them less books as people have a routine and will want to stick to that routine.

I personally think selling outside Firhill would be a good idea, if it is possible of course, to maybe sell them in local pubs to help generate funds.

I wish you good luck in what ever you end up doing, I do agree we need more volunteers on match days and its with a lack of volunteers that things like 50/50 ticket sales do suffer.

:)

As a 50/50 seller and a programme seller ( the annoying girl in the Aitken suite!), I think you will find that people have the people they buy off and most see it as a waste of money. I wish you luck in trying to generate more funds from 50/50 selling and changing peoples opinions of it.

Having been selling them since March, I am only now getting "regulars" who buy a few with the programme and match ticket. There is people like Donna (concourse) and Ian (the man at the top of the hill) who easily sell 20 books each. That will not change, and i think it would be unfair to give them less books as people have a routine and will want to stick to that routine.

I personally think selling outside Firhill would be a good idea, if it is possible of course, to maybe sell them in local pubs to help generate funds.

I wish you good luck in what ever you end up doing, I do agree we need more volunteers on match days and its with a lack of volunteers that things like 50/50 ticket sales do suffer.

:)

Hi!

We know very little about how it works other than the fact that all the folk who sell them just now are doing a great job. There's often a queue forming at Ian's pitch, so much so that it looks like two Ians with his constant patter could sell 40 books, so the first thing will be to try to get more folk selling at Firhill and see how that goes. Look forward to seeing you on the 13th.

David, would it be possible to get printed on the tickets that the results will be announced on the ptfc.co.uk website on Monday morning? This may encourage folk from outwith those attending on Matchday to buy tickets?

All sorts of ideas flying around in my head Will but that's a good one.

I noticed that Ayr's HT draw tickets are sponsored by a local pub so Michael at the Star might be getting a chap at the door. :) Maybe the chippy at Queens Cross could offer a discount with a used 50/50 ticket - 10p off any supper? However if there is a cupboard full of preprinted tickets at Firhill then ideas like that might take a wee while. :lol:

:blush: Aye OK I'll buy a programme more often ;)

Serious point. If you push one too hard you hit sales of the other. Difficult balancing act to get right.

Less can collections at Firhill would help as well. No matter how worthy cause my heart sinks when I see people with cans and buckets at home games.

Meant to add I have a feeling that new tickets were printed not that long ago.

Edited by Tom Hosie

Hi!

We know very little about how it works other than the fact that all the folk who sell them just now are doing a great job. There's often a queue forming at Ian's pitch, so much so that it looks like two Ians with his constant patter could sell 40 books, so the first thing will be to try to get more folk selling at Firhill and see how that goes. Look forward to seeing you on the 13th.

Yeah we were saying this the other week when counting tickets. I think Ian, his patter and how long he has been there all make people buy from him. It is superstition me thinks, people buy of him for "luck" or cos they have done so for years.

Like I say I have a few regulars now, I think only cos they try and sneak by then I catch them!

I think selling in the away stand needs to be done, cos at the minute to my knowledge we don't sell them there, which means any away fan who does not go to the aitken suite does not get offered the chance to buy one. Again to my knowledge there are currently only 5 of us - 2 in concourse, 2 outside and me in aitken suite. which is sad really, as a club we really need to pull together and help out as much as possible!

Will people who volunteer with you be receiving free entry to the game aswell?

All sorts of ideas flying around in my head Will but that's a good one.

I noticed that Ayr's HT draw tickets are sponsored by a local pub so Michael at the Star might be getting a chap at the door. :) Maybe the chippy at Queens Cross could offer a discount with a used 50/50 ticket - 10p off any supper? However if there is a cupboard full of preprinted tickets at Firhill then ideas like that might take a wee while. :lol:

The woodside is popular with home and away fans (it is on the way up and seems to be good before a game) - could be good to talk to them - they seem to get involved in a few things within the local community.

Looks like you have a few good ideas of your own and would be nice to hear them!

David, would it be possible to get printed on the tickets that the results will be announced on the ptfc.co.uk website on Monday morning? This may encourage folk from outwith those attending on Matchday to buy tickets?

Will, I'd like to expand ticket sales outside of matchdays eventually, if that is possible, but for now, we just want to get a feel for how it works and get a few more folk committed to help selling them. i expect that the current volunteers will have good ideas as well, and we'd like to speak to them about it.

So, if you want to help, please PM Tom or me your details.

If you sell 50/50s to away fans is there a mechanism in place so that they can collect their winnings before the end of the game?

I believe it's Monday it's claimed but if other clubs seem to be able to sell their half time draw tickets to us I don't see why someone can't sort it so they can claim the prize that day. When I won it earlier in the season I was given a cheque so I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to post it out after getting some details from the winner at the game.

The paying out process of coming back on Monday is off puting. What about visitors and indeed away supporters who cannot pop in on Mondays?

Why can't the dosh be dished out at the end of the match in the Aitken suite?

that's how it used to work I won a couple of years back and collected my dosh at full time

TBH most people buy them to support the club, winning is just a nice bonus :lol:

that's how it used to work I won a couple of years back and collected my dosh at full time

TBH most people buy them to support the club, winning is just a nice bonus :lol:

Think if we wanted to extend sales to away supporters we'd have to be more accommodating. Ideally the winner contacts a steward with his seat number and he/she gets cash on exit. I doubt there's much time for a jaunt down to the Aitken Suite if the away fan is traveling by supporters bus.

Think if we wanted to extend sales to away supporters we'd have to be more accommodating. Ideally the winner contacts a steward with his seat number and he/she gets cash on exit. I doubt there's much time for a jaunt down to the Aitken Suite if the away fan is traveling by supporters bus.

Has anybody here ever won a 50/50 ticket at an away ground?

Nah, me neither. I wonder if tickets sold to away fans always make it into the bucket for the draw....

Nah, me neither. I wonder if tickets sold to away fans always make it into the bucket for the draw....

I sometimes wonder if tickets to the home fans aren't held back until the next game.... :P

Interesting point made by Tom Hosie about the interdependancy between the programme and the 50/50 draw. How about looking to combine the two with a (say) 3 for 2 offer combined with the cost of the programme?

Also inclined to think a more pro-active approach might be needed to increase sales amongst those who attend the games. Maybe even a mystery prize that's not a ******* ball :lol:

They certainly are, however I have no idea how it is done at away games.

A seller actually in the bar at the Aitken Suite may be an idea, we sit at the entrance to the Aitken Suite & sell a reasonable amount of tickets, if match ticket sales are slow I sometimes go into the Aitken Suite (twice this season) & walk round asking whoever looks my way if they want some tickets, have managed to sell 2 books on each occasion (in about 10 minutes).