Thistle Fans

Stephen1876

Start of rant...and I know I may be preaching to the converted here...

The fans need to get their act together at Firhill - I've read so many posts bleating and whinging about McCall and team's performance etc etc. However, the fans were a total joke today - potentially a big match for us today and I was one of the few who clapped the team when it was read out, followed by the dismal atmosphere at the start of the game. Not a peep out of the JH stand throughout the game. Appreciate that things aren't great at the moment but the fans need to get behind the team - too many moan when the players don't put in effort but make no effort themselves. Guys like Paton and Boyle are knocking their pan in and the fans should be doing the same.

Come on folks, get behind the team!

Rant over!!

It is sad, when I started going to Firhill, the atmosphere was great & was the main reason I wanted to go back. I was young & had no idea what was being sung, but there was never a quiet spell throughout the game & regularly went home with sore hands with all the clapping! & that was what, 10yrs ago max?

It's now like every other team, which we use to have a go at, no atmospehre or backing for the players. Away games atmospehere is crap now as well, on most occasions.

I agree to a certain extent, but it's a 2 way street. The fans need to get behind the players and the players need to provide something for the fans to get behind. Today they fell way short of providing any encouragement for the fans and McCall is way out of line with his post match comments. He needs to remember we're paying his wages and it's his duty to provide us with some entertainment. I defy anyone to say he managed that today.

Our full backs, or what should be full backs, really do put a shift in these days. Paul Paton and Paddy boyle deserve recognition for this. I think they're great, and in a 4-4-2 with Archie and Kinniburgh would make a decent basis for winning matches at Firhill. Pity about 3-5-2. No wonder games get clogged up and boring.

The fans need to get their act together at Firhill - I've read so many posts bleating and whinging about McCall and team's performance etc etc. However, the fans were a total joke today - potentially a big match for us today and I was one of the few who clapped the team when it was read out, followed by the dismal atmosphere at the start of the game. Not a peep out of the JH stand throughout the game. Appreciate that things aren't great at the moment but the fans need to get behind the team - too many moan when the players don't put in effort but make no effort themselves. Guys like Paton and Boyle are knocking their pan in and the fans should be doing the same.

Rant over!!

Yeah because utterly rancid 0-0 draws today after paying 17 bangers are worth getting excited over.

Rant over!!

Who are you to come on here and call other fans a joke?

I'll tell you one thing thing. There was more songs sung in the "Shed" area today as there has been all season, not that there was a decent number singing.

The fact that that you or anyone else couldn't hear them speaks for itself, regarding the atmosphere at Firhill.

Yeah because utterly rancid 0-0 draws today after paying 17 bangers are worth getting excited over.

This was discussed over a pint after the game with two friends and myself. For the 3 of us (I am a season tciket holder but let's forget that for aminute) it was £51 to Thistle today. We drink in the Strathy, at £2.30 a T and £2.50 a Stella what was there today to entice us to spend that money at Firhill? That money would buy us a day in the Strathy!!

It is a two way street, I want to be part of an atmosphere but the two full backs apart the team doesn't exactly inspire.

This was discussed over a pint after the game with two friends and myself. For the 3 of us (I am a season tciket holder but let's forget that for aminute) it was £51 to Thistle today. We drink in the Strathy, at £2.30 a T and £2.50 a Stella what was there today to entice us to spend that money at Firhill? That money would buy us a day in the Strathy!!

It is a two way street, I want to be part of an atmosphere but the two full backs apart the team doesn't exactly inspire.

good shout, even tho today, the 2 fullbacks were not at their best, they still were the ones we looked to.

There was more of an 'atmosphere' today in the City End than there has been for a wee while, still wasn't great though.

McCall would do well to remember that he and his players are paid to perform on a Saturday afternoon and entertain us, we are paying money to watch them. They owe us first.

Totally agree it is a two way street and the players aren't delivering just now, but it is so frustrating that we go to Dundee and get right behind the team, but the atmosphere today in a potentially big game was totally flat before the team even came out.

Apologies to anyone in the 'Shed' who is not happy with my comments, you guys do give us that bit of noise. But I sit in the middle of the JH and honestly, you shout "Mon the Jags" and get looked at like you are interrupting quiet time in the library.

I'm sure a raft of football psychologists would tell you that a vocal and initidating home support gives you an edge - we just don't have that.

Come on Jags!

By the way - I have just read McCall's comments and my initial post was totally independent of those

Edited by Stephen1876

I too sit in the middle of the JH and there are cries of encouragement from me and those around me.

However, that sense of optimism disappears when the game goes in the manner it did today. After about 10 minutes it was depressingly obvious how the game was going to go.

And it is really difficult to get back up to a level of excitement (if that is the right word) or anticipation when you are sitting watching what I could only describe as drivel on the pitch (and I mean from both teams).

I wasn't at Dens last week but from what I have heard and read, I think the fans were up for it cos the players were. I totally agree it is a 2 way street and if it ain't happening on the pitch, it ain't gonna happen in the stand.

I said this on the4 Ian McCall thread but we as fans have a job to do on matchday and we are failing to do it. This job should be carried out regardless of what is happening on the pitch...infact I'd argue that the fans job is far more important on days like today. If the players put in the same half ar5ed effort as the fans then we'd be relegated already this season!

I too sit in the middle of the JH and there are cries of encouragement from me and those around me.

However, that sense of optimism disappears when the game goes in the manner it did today. After about 10 minutes it was depressingly obvious how the game was going to go.

And it is really difficult to get back up to a level of excitement (if that is the right word) or anticipation when you are sitting watching what I could only describe as drivel on the pitch (and I mean from both teams).

I wasn't at Dens last week but from what I have heard and read, I think the fans were up for it cos the players were. I totally agree it is a 2 way street and if it ain't happening on the pitch, it ain't gonna happen in the stand.

Then going the other way on this two-way street would suggest if it aint happening in the stand it ain't gona happen on the pitch....no?

Then going the other way on this two-way street would suggest if it aint happening in the stand it ain't gona happen on the pitch....no?

Yes, but no-one can seriously expect fans to continually act in a positive manner for the full 90 minutes today considering the drivel that was being served up?

Yes, but no-one can seriously expect fans to continually act in a positive manner for the full 90 minutes today considering the drivel that was being served up?

Even 15 minutes over the whole 90 is too hard for our lot. I was pi55ed off today with the effort being put in by some fans (the usual fans if Im honest) only for it to turn to a whimper. All I am saying is we have our job to do, if the players do their job as poorly as we do ours they get slaughtered (and rightly so) so why should we be different? Because we pay to watch while the players get paid to play? Well, why do we pay to get in...can't be to support the team can it?

I miss The Shed.

Some of the best times of my long life spent there.

The death of Firhill began the day The Shed was demolished :(

My over-riding memory see's Thistle go one up against Rangers and I, as a very small 14 year old was first to the fence givin it the GIRFUY to the Rangers fans (where about 6 of my school chums were right at the other side of the fence. I was getting crushed by hundreds of Jags fans goin mental and didnt give a sh!t...we were one nil up on that lot and I was revelling in it. The result that day? Thistle 1 Rangers 4 :( School was not fun the following Monday.

I agree to a certain extent, but it's a 2 way street. The fans need to get behind the players and the players need to provide something for the fans to get behind. Today they fell way short of providing any encouragement for the fans and McCall is way out of line with his post match comments. He needs to remember we're paying his wages and it's his duty to provide us with some entertainment. I defy anyone to say he managed that today.

Yup. The team is an unattractive array of blandness, playing bland tactics. Just about zero excitement and zero entertaining players, going through the motions in an unexciting and non-entertaining formation. What the hell is there to sing about?

Yup. The team is an unattractive array of blandness, playing bland tactics. Just about zero excitement and zero entertaining players, going through the motions in an unexciting and non-entertaining formation. What the hell is there to sing about?

I agree it is hard for fans to get excited about the team if the performance is flat, but McCall had the team playing very exciting football in the past and the atmosphere hasn't been the best.

Think steven mentioned it earlier....atmosphere at Firhill died the day the shed was taken away. i used to lover either going into the shed or the terracing behind the goal.

The death of Firhill began the day The Shed was demolished :(

My over-riding memory see's Thistle go one up against Rangers and I, as a very small 14 year old was first to the fence givin it the GIRFUY to the Rangers fans (where about 6 of my school chums were right at the other side of the fence. I was getting crushed by hundreds of Jags fans goin mental and didnt give a sh!t...we were one nil up on that lot and I was revelling in it. The result that day? Thistle 1 Rangers 4 :( School was not fun the following Monday.

OK correct me if i'm wrong...Shaw put us one up. Hately scored two i think, one from almost the half way line as Nelson made a blunder of saving it ?

if same game, i was there but in main stand with dad. totally surrounded by gers fans...wishing i was in shed.

Was that not the same season that we gubbed them 3.0 the second time they came to firhill.....sadly missed that one. to this day i wish id been there.

Was that not the same season that we gubbed them 3.0 the second time they came to firhill.....sadly missed that one. to this day i wish id been there.

Best night ever, 10 years old and didn't sleep a wink when I got up the road, even gettin my nat king for the first time was never going to measure up after that night.