Credit Where Credit Is Due

lennythistle

Quite a few positives today - the main one, for me, being that after Stirling pulled level, we continued to push for a winner and kept going for the whole 90. Also encouaging to see us scoring two on the break for a change.

Nobody in the team could be faulted for effort today, though I didn't think Boyle was as effective as he has been, and nothing seemed to fall for Liam today.

Fox, Archie, Kinniburgh, Rowson, Cairney, Hodge and Paton all had particularly good games today and if you've got 7 out of your 11 playing at the top of their game, you're going to win more often than not.

If the 'circular formation' before kick off was to revise the tactics McCall gave them, i'm all for it.

Just a wee thought that occured to me - any money from the cup 'run' should go to keeping Scott Fox in January. What a difference having the defence playing in front of him makes, and his 2 saves, (as well as putting the ball out for a shy instead of a corner) were crucial to today's result. Oh and he REALLY enjoyed Cairney's goal too - and clapped the terracing instead of the p*ssies in the stand like the rest of the team (except Paul Paton - good on ya, Paulo to give respect to the real fans instead of the prawn sandwich brigade )

McHale got booked for it later. I thought Erskine was very good today too.

My impression of Erskine (and that of some guys next to me) is that he can be good when the ball is at his feet but when it's not he is switched off and either doesn't react to what's going on or reacts in slow motion.

Having said that he made some good runs for balls hit over his head in the last 20 mins, but he didn't show anything like that kind of awareness during the rest of the game.

My impression of Erskine (and that of some guys next to me) is that he can be good when the ball is at his feet but when it's not he is switched off and either doesn't react to what's going on or reacts in slow motion. Having said that he made some good runs for balls hit over his head in the last 20 mins, but he didn't show anything like that kind of awareness during the rest of the game.

I agree - i thought he drifted in and out of the game today. For me, he's never going to track back, tackle or win possession for us - he relays on the rest of the team to do that and then pass to him to go on a run. When he's on form, his runs are good, but often the end product is lacking. Today we got a goal from one of his crosses, too often we get nothing. It might seem a stange thing to say about him, but I think that he's a luxury we cannot afford to have in our team. I'd much rather have an on form and fit Flannigan.

I agree - i thought he drifted in and out of the game today. For me, he's never going to track back, tackle or win possession for us - he relays on the rest of the team to do that and then pass to him to go on a run. When he's on form, his runs are good, but often the end product is lacking. Today we got a goal from one of his crosses, too often we get nothing. It might seem a stange thing to say about him, but I think that he's a luxury we cannot afford to have in our team. I'd much rather have an on form and fit Flannigan.

Can't agree. Can't understand the fans that have a go at this guy. He's young, raw, tries his best and most importantly he's entertaining which having followed the team for 36 years, is what I like to see in a Thistle team. Not as good as Dennis granted, but give him time. He'll improve which can only be good for us in the long term.

Just a wee thought that occured to me - any money from the cup 'run' should go to keeping Scott Fox in January. What a difference having the defence playing in front of him makes, and his 2 saves, (as well as putting the ball out for a shy instead of a corner) were crucial to today's result. Oh and he REALLY enjoyed Cairney's goal too - and clapped the terracing instead of the p*ssies in the stand like the rest of the team (except Paul Paton - good on ya, Paulo to give respect to the real fans instead of the prawn sandwich brigade )

Oh little boy!

Come and have a prawn sandwich with me and i'll give you a wee lesson on life!

Moment of the game for me was Donnelly's pass to Boyle that led to the 3rd goal. Was an even better pass than Hodge's last week.

Does anyone know if we'll get highlights on the OS? I would love to see the goals again.

Good to highlight that pass, which was quite superb. I for one didn't expect it at all. For those who don't want to wait for the OS video, I think that highlights will be posted on the Stirling website at around 5 pm today.

Donnelly made the difference when he came on - we'd dominated possession, but to no great effect, and I suspect Sid was brought on to do his usual d*cking about to hold up the game. Scored the decisive second goal and created the third while attempting to d*ck about. Pretty good.

Overall, a good aggressive performance from the whole team, but I'll give a special mention to Cairney, who has been a total passenger this season - until today when he suddenly rediscovered why he was so good last season. Thanks Paul!

And a wee mention for Kinniburgh, who managed not to get booked today and looked pretty solid to me. Considering it was a 'makeshift' defence, I can live with it...

A contender for most-improved player. Just as well, as with Archie and Robertson both not getting any younger (somebody on another thread drew attention to Archie getting outpaced yesterday), Willie-K looks like being at the core of our defence in the coming years.

It's worth mentioning that when Kinniburgh came to us, he was actually quite a good centre back. Always had one bombscare moment a game, but when he got injured and was out the first team for a while he never really recovered. Good to see him starting to hit form again as Robbo and Archie won't be around forever.

I agree totally with you. Im not convinced we would have lost so many games this season if we had Fox in at the begining of the season including the semi final against Ross County. Does not seem anywhere near as prone as Halliwell to making so many blunders.