Embarrassed To Be A Thistle Fan Today

Ancipital

The crowd today was just shy of 1150, maybe 500 Stirling 650 Thistle tops.

I don't normally go in for the "better fan than you" chat but anyone in the stand must have been a wee bit embarrassed when the players clapped them at full time as there was absolutely ZERO noise from the stand considering it was a Scottish Cup tie, and indeed those patrons only really made themselves heard with the booing after Stirling hit the post at at 1-1.

By contrast the 100 or so fans on the terrace absolutely tore their throats out for the team (almost literally in some cases, certain folk were coughing up blood for about an hour after the game), including a continous chant of "red 'n' yella army" for about 15 minutes before we scored the 1st, and I'm disappointed that Mr McCall made no mention of the support as he is quick to slag the support at Firhill when we get a duff result.

The support today in general was Livi-esque, and I'm getting quite worried that this is the direction we're heading in. Someone please re-assure me we're not (with evidence).

I don't normally go in for the "better fan than you" chat but anyone in the stand must have been a wee bit embarrassed when the players clapped them at full time as there was absolutely ZERO noise from the stand considering it was a Scottish Cup tie, and indeed those patrons only really made themselves heard with the booing after Stirling hit the post at at 1-1.

By contrast the 100 or so fans on the terrace absolutely tore their throats out for the team (almost literally in some cases, certain folk were coughing up blood for about an hour after the game), including a continous chant of "red 'n' yella army" for about 15 minutes before we scored the 1st, and I'm disappointed that Mr McCall made no mention of the support as he is quick to slag the support at Firhill when we get a duff result.

The support today in general was Livi-esque, and I'm getting quite worried that this is the direction we're heading in. Someone please re-assure me we're not (with evidence).

Give me 100 fans singing their throats out at Firhill anytime and I'll show you an improved atmosphere.

Yes I heard all the chants coming from the very vocal terracing boys. Impressive. :thumbsup2:

I also heard the loud howls of derision aimed at Jags players after Stirling scored. Not so impressive. :thumbdown:

Yes I heard all the chants coming from the very vocal terracing boys. Impressive. :thumbsup2:

I also heard the loud howls of derision aimed at Jags players after Stirling scored. Not so impressive. :thumbdown:

Can't say I heard any howls of derision, just a resigned silence followed by a few 'mon Jags shouts as they went back up to kick off.

But nobody is enjoying the football at the moment because we are having a crap season. There are glimmers of light here and there (imagine big Willie had scored with his overhead kick) but they are snuffed out by the negatives of a team that is misfiring all over the park.

Next Saturday will be a great game - who are we playing? :o:mad2:

Maybe rather than feeling embarassment at the East Stand you should try feeling a bit of pride in the boys behind the goal. Their performance was superb and I regretted not taking myself onto the terracing to join them but still felt that there was encouragement coming from the East Stand rather than derision in the main.

15 mins of red and yella army? Sorry but I never heard that. The stand was full of people clapping the team off of the park, and there was a great sing song after Donnelly's goal.

It's easy enough to applaud the team off the park after a win and to sing once we go 2-1 up with less than 5 minutes to go. Up until that point you could hear nothing from the East Stand, even when the terracing was trying to get them involved. It's to be expected though as I imagine there were a lot of older fans and families in there.

This isn't really criticism as I was as guilty of sitting down and shutting up last time we were there, there just seems to be a different mentality when in terracing.

It's easy enough to applaud the team off the park after a win and to sing once we go 2-1 up with less than 5 minutes to go. Up until that point you could hear nothing from the East Stand, even when the terracing was trying to get them involved. It's to be expected though as I imagine there were a lot of older fans and families in there.

This isn't really criticism as I was as guilty of sitting down and shutting up last time we were there, there just seems to be a different mentality when in terracing.

That's probably it, the fact you don't normally get into the terracing then the guys that went just made the most of it for the day.

Was disappointed in the attendance but then I was a no show myself .

This thread is disgusting.

I was in the seated area yesterday and had a brilliant time. Thought the Thistle fans were in good spirits, and agree that there were some moans when Stirling hit the post. There was a feeling of "Here we go again", but that quickly left as we again took a foothold in the game.

I thought the singers were brilliant and I was reminded of one of our last trips to the real Brockville when the singers were in the shed and the rest of us were behind the goals. The singers gave us all a bit of a slagging - "Thistle - gie's a song, Thistle, Thistle - gie's a song" to which we replied "Who're the fannies in the shed?"

Good natured, fun banter between fans.

Seriously, who cares if the majority of fans weren't singing? We were there, getting behind the team. Lots of encouragement for the players from where I was sitting.

Sorry we're not all the kind of fans who get steamin before games and cough up blood because we've sang so much, but I really enjoyed myself yesterday and we got a great result. I'm just so cheesed off that some people have to ALWAYS focus on negatives, no matter how small they are.

I'd have thought more like 350/800, though I was surprised that the figure given was so low.

They should get that checked out.....could be TB!

;)

Highly doubt it.

My question was made slightly in jest. After all, fans behind goal, creating an atmosphere (as acknowledged by Albion fans too, and praising us for it), Thistle winning - Albion won't want that again, better to stick everyone in seats, less backing and atmosphere, make it like other two games they won.

I'd have thought more like 350/800, though I was surprised that the figure given was so low.

They should get that checked out.....could be TB!

;)

Looking at the Stirling twitter feed, it says it looked like 300/700 just 5 mins before kick-off.

# Approx 300 of those Stirling fans about 21 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone

# About 1000 in stadium just now about 21 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone

# Stirling stand does not look busy. about 21 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone

# 5 mins to kick off about 21 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone

Edited by yoda-jag

Had a great day yesterday on the terracing just being able to walk around and meet up with a few familiar faces plus the guys who were in the cricket club before were in great form next time im definetly getting the train (smeets)rather than drive thru thought there would be more people on the terracing though .

OK, I'll admit that there was an element of mischief-making (and drink) in my original post, but I was dismayed to an extent yesterday.

Possibly rose-tinted nostalgia but I remember when I was a kid Thistle always took a large away support as a proportion of our home support, and it was normally noisy (if not always positive!).

Yesterday, looking over at the fans in the East Stand it could have been any team (OK maybe not the OF due to lack of knuckles dragging along the ground). Maybe more indicative of football in general and the largely sterile atmosphere all-seater stadia provide than Thistle support. Clap politely, cheer briefly when we score (the celebrations at the 3rd goal were so muted on the field and in the stand that I had to stop myself and look for a linesman's flag) and boo when the opposition have a 5 minute spell on top.

No doubt if the terracing had been closed and everyone in the stand there would have been no singing at all. In fact it would have been just like Firhill...

Anyway, I had a good day out and hopefully we get a wee trip to another ground with terracing in the next round. Oh, and I'm a better fan than no-one, probably won't be at another game til Boxing day!

Clap politely, cheer briefly when we score (the celebrations at the 3rd goal were so muted on the field and in the stand that I had to stop myself and look for a linesman's flag) and boo when the opposition have a 5 minute spell on top.

No doubt if the terracing had been closed and everyone in the stand there would have been no singing at all. In fact it would have been just like Firhill...

Anyway, I had a good day out and hopefully we get a wee trip to another ground with terracing in the next round. Oh, and I'm a better fan than no-one, probably won't be at another game til Boxing day!

Think you guys behind the goal would have had a clearer view but from the stand, it seemed to take an age before the ball hit the back of the net. I only realised it was a goal when I saw people around me celebrating. Would explain a more muted response.

Wish I'd gone on the terracing as I still enjoy a sing song at games. Top marks to the guy who spent most of the game with his top off!