Ian Holloway

Butters

My link

Blackpool manager reacts to being told that Sepp Blatter and FIFA are considering switching the World Cup to winter when it's held in Qatar because of the heat.

Superb stuff. "Sack Blatter and Platini"

Holloway is brilliant.

I'd love to see Blackpool finish as high up in the Prem as possibble.

Agree 100% with both comments. Not because Holloway manages the team across the road from my house but because of his honesty, integrity, anti-authority stance and his approach to how football should be played.

His post-match interview, following Blackpool's victory in the Championship play-off final against Cardiff, was full of praise for "my boys" - naturally - but strewn with naked condemnation for the corruption that big money has infected the game with. He lambasted the blazers at the FA for their elitist image in addition to making no attempt to conceal his scorn for the negative approach adopted by so many managers these days in their quest for Premier League survival. This infection has noticably crept into the psyche of the brittle-brained alleged manager of Scotland too, much to the disgust of most of us.

He starts every game, home or away, with a 4-4-2 formation and goes flat out for victory, irrespective of the class of opposition. He is understandably adored by the fans down here for all the reasons mentioned above, but mainly because of his primary philosophy which is that football is a game to be enjoyed and that the paying spectator deserves to be entertained.

This is a philosophy which has been discarded by most teams, arguably since the filthy lucre began creeping into the game around the mid to late '80s; nota bene when the OF started trying to emulate the European elite by signing 'big name' internationals.

For all those reasons I wish Holloway and Blackpool FC the very best of luck and hold out some hope that at some point in the not too distant future he'll be approached to take the reins of our national team.

For all those reasons I wish Holloway and Blackpool FC the very best of luck and hold out some hope that at some point in the not too distant future he'll be approached to take the reins of our national team.

He's one Englishman I would be delighted to see managing Scotland. I'd much prefer him to the dour, defensive clown we currently have.

I'm also glad the English beaks would NEVER appoint an outspoken guy like Holloway in the same way they ignored Brian Clough. England might actually get somewhere with Holloway in charge (like they undoubtably would have done if they had appointed old Big 'Ead instead of Ron Greenwood)

He's one Englishman I would be delighted to see managing Scotland. I'd much prefer him to the dour, defensive clown we currently have.

I'm also glad the English beaks would NEVER appoint an outspoken guy like Holloway in the same way they ignored Brian Clough. England might actually get somewhere with Holloway in charge (like they undoubtably would have done if they had appointed old Big 'Ead instead of Ron Greenwood)

love the man

Holloway is brilliant.

Agreed!!!

partickthedog aka Alan Holloway

He once said in his post-match interview after conceding a late equaliser when (I think) manager of QPR...

"It was all looking good, we were half way into the taxi with the tasty-looking bird...but at the end we went home with a middling one...not a minger, so not a bad result...but not the tasty looking one either."

...or something like that.

Genius!?

He once said in his post-match interview after conceding a late equaliser when (I think) manager of QPR...

"It was all looking good, we were half way into the taxi with the tasty-looking bird...but at the end we went home with a middling one...not a minger, so not a bad result...but not the tasty looking one either."

...or something like that.

Genius!?

Perhaps a reference to this...

As Bristol Rovers are my adopted team down here, I was gutted when we did a manager swap with QPR and Rovers got Gerry Francis, who lasted all of three months, but that was a step up for Holloway. He did have a lot of detractors amongst the Gasheads at the time - wonder how they feel now? He is an absolute gentleman and says it as he sees it.

• 2 weeks later...