Fund Raising Brainstorming Thread

Jaggernaut

Too excited by Santa's visit, early this morning I had this wild (?) idea as a possible fundraiser. It might have been better last year , but could still work:

To celebrate Firhill's centenary, have a 1-day Firhill Festival with an example or two of all the kinds of events that have taken place at the stadium over the last century.

A celebrity or fans (?) football match, a celebrity or fans (?) rugby match (probably 15-20 min each way), a couple of athletics events (even just a couple of 100-yard races), a couple of greyhound races (and why not?), a couple of celebrity (?) boxing bouts, a demonstration American football match (cheerleaders, yeah!). All of these could be betting events, with a split going to charity, the rest to the Jags. Throw in some other entertainments, catering etc. And of course some things for the weans.

So, any other ideas on how to generate some additional cash for the club?

The Club could start to use easyfundraising/easysearch.

PAYE - Pay As You Enjoy, a scheme that Raith Rovers started using a few seasons ago. The basic idea is that you pay a set amount per league goal but there is also the option to customise what will you will pay for, eg £5 for every David Rowson goal, £3 for a clean sheet, etc.

Lucky Programmes - 3 or 4 times per season have some programmes which are signed by the manager and if you are the person who buys one you win a prize (hospitality places, a signed top, etc).

Choose the Music - have online auctions during the season for people to win the right to choose the music that is played before the game and at half-time.

Supporters' Match - at the end of season 2 teams of fans (each managed by a Thistle legend - Lambie & Britton for example) play a game at Firhill. Each position on the teams is bid for (with a min bid of say £30) and friends/family can turn up and pay a nominal amount to watch, take pics,etc.

Sponsor for Back of Shirt - a raffle (tickets costing £200) for companies/groups of people to have their name on the back of the tops for the next season. 100 participants gives £20,000.

There are lots of things that the Club could do, on different scales, to raise additional funds. Some of my ideas might not generate a huge amount of money on their own but combined with othere ideas then they start to make a difference. Also, they would all be at a level which would allow the majority of fans to participate instead of going for one big idea which could raise a large amount but is at a level which means lots of fans can't join in.

Hopefully the Club will give more details about the initiative that Mr Beattie mentioned in the last programme soon (tomorrow's programme?) so that things can get started in terms of raising the £100,000 that we need.

Supporters' Match - at the end of season 2 teams of fans (each managed by a Thistle legend - Lambie & Britton for example) play a game at Firhill. Each position on the teams is bid for (with a min bid of say £30) and friends/family can turn up and pay a nominal amount to watch, take pics,etc.

I would be a massive fan of this. Stirling do it and it seems to be a success. I've suggested this to Denis McQuade and a couple of weeks ago to BCG Jag and would love to see it happen come summer. It's so simple and would make good use of the ground which is sitting doing nothing 95% of the time.

I realise that I will take a lot of criticism for this, but given:

1)We have plenty of supporters given up their free time to raise hindreds, possibly thousdands of pounds for the club like Fawlty Towers, Willjag etc etc by selling 50-50's, calendars, fundraising for the Trust and so on.

2)He claims to be a Jags supporter.

The he I refer to is Eddie Prentice - could he not refund even half the wage he has been receiving from the club,(when so many others work for free) surely would help make some kind of a dent.

I realise that I will take a lot of criticism for this, but given:

1)We have plenty of supporters given up their free time to raise hindreds, possibly thousdands of pounds for the club like Fawlty Towers, Willjag etc etc by selling 50-50's, calendars, fundraising for the Trust and so on.

2)He claims to be a Jags supporter.

The he I refer to is Eddie Prentice - could he not refund even half the wage he has been receiving from the club,(when so many others work for free) surely would help make some kind of a dent.

I don't think that Eddie has been taking a wage from the Club for a while.

How about a radical idea - one where we just give the cash over to save the club from hitting the sh*tters again without expecting it to give us something back.

With £50k sponsorship raised it leaves £50k to raise by season end ... 1000 hardcore fans dig deep to hand over £50 each (at a rate of a tenner per month)and problems solved.

Edited by gianlucatoni

How about a radical idea - one where we just give the cash over to save the club from hitting the sh*tters again without expecting it to give us something back.

With £50k sponsorship raised it leaves £50k to raise by season end ... 1000 hardcore fans dig deep to hand over £50 each (at a rate of a tenner per month)and problems solved.

I cannot argue against the arithmetic or simplicity of your suggestion and if I thought another 999 fans would do this then I would be happy to join them, however I think the majority of fans are looking for something from the Club that deals with the immediate financial problems and shows that there is a longer term strategy which should result in this sort of situation arising again.

I cannot argue against the arithmetic or simplicity of your suggestion and if I thought another 999 fans would do this then I would be happy to join them, however I think the majority of fans are looking for something from the Club that deals with the immediate financial problems and shows that there is a longer term strategy which should result in this sort of situation arising again.

Ask not what the Jags can do for you, but what you can do for the Jags.

I'm in ... you're in ... that leaves 998 to go.

Ask not what the Jags can do for you, but what you can do for the Jags.

I'm in ... you're in ... that leaves 998 to go.

I'd be in for something like this too...but u don't necessarily need to get heehaw for yer £50 (and it doesn't necesarily need to be £50). I dont have any finer details but the idea of simply giving the Club money for nothing, or very little, is something I wouldn't be against.

Should try and freshen up hospitality

Cowdenbeath do a couple of different things that we could quite easily do:

http://www.cowdenbeathfc.com/index.php?act=viewCommerce&docId=4

We could have a "legends" day and get the hall of famers etc along at a cost that is reasonable - like yesterdays £40/£20 kids. A legend at each table? or a couple of them up to tell some stories?

Or a curry day in conjunction with a local indian restaurant?

Just need some new ideas to keep the product different from normal hospitality and that might encourage those that have been before back for something different.

Edited by Plastic Whistler

The club should be doing some more things like the calendar that helps raise some extra dough. With the Greaves tie-in there's no idea of how much money actually goes to the club these days for merchandise so there'd be no harm in a few one-off things. I have a few ideas along these lines and will be contacting David Beattie and Co regarding them.

The Club also has to become a bit more pro-active in advertising the merchandise that Greaves sells. To me it's as if it's a case of 'Right, they deal with that now so let's forget it'. I don't know how many times I've went to the Greaves site to see new merchandise that hasn't had any promotion in the slightest. We cannot be relying on people just popping into Greaves or looking online. I've been to Greaves once in the last five years or so.

Edited by Vom Itorium

Or a curry day in conjunction with a local indian restaurant?

Maybe going off topic here: many Premiership sides run something similar as hospitality on match days, i.e. if we were away to Dundee there could be a fine dining restaurant (well, probably not in Dundee, but there is always hope) that the club books out for the afternoon as a hospitality suite, with ticket and programme included in the price of your meal and perhaps drinks. Doubt this would work at our level though.

A curry day as you suggest would have a much better chance of succeeding IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

Just noticed that the last posting here was 27 Dec (well, it has been Christmas etc, so fair enough).

There are some cracking ideas here - would be nice to have some kind of reaction (or even encouragement) from the club though. Has anybody heard anything?

For what it's worth, I'm part of a team that runs big outdoor events for charities throughout the UK (abseils, ziplines, bungee jumps). The average take for these events is around £20k, often much more.

We organised one at Dundee a few years ago, running a 200' high zipline across the length of the park, landing behind the goals and loads of supporters took part. They opened up one of the stands to let friends and families watch it all happen.

Dead easy to do......

We organised one at Dundee a few years ago, running a 200' high zipline across the length of the park, landing behind the goals and loads of supporters took part. They opened up one of the stands to let friends and families watch it all happen.

Dead easy to do......

:thinking: We have a ready made landing area in the shape of the bing. :happy2:

Cracking idea which should be done at an end of season gala day, either straight after the last game, or on the Sunday or following weekend.

Put this idea to the club macdangerous, make it so :thumbsup2:

Just noticed that the last posting here was 27 Dec (well, it has been Christmas etc, so fair enough).

There are some cracking ideas here - would be nice to have some kind of reaction (or even encouragement) from the club though. Has anybody heard anything?

For what it's worth, I'm part of a team that runs big outdoor events for charities throughout the UK (abseils, ziplines, bungee jumps). The average take for these events is around £20k, often much more.

Dead easy to do......

How many people would you need to break even on this and what would you charge to get in? Sounds like a good idea.

How many people would you need to break even on this and what would you charge to get in? Sounds like a good idea.

Charging to get in isn't where the money comes from - I don't think Dundee charged anything, it was a gala day.

The money gets raised by people getting sponsored to do it, usually a minimum of £100 (ie ten mates sponsoring you for a tenner)- it's a bit of a dare-devil thing, lots of fancy dress etc. During the summer we do a lot of them across the Clyde at the Finnieston Crane, anything up to a couple of hundred people per day.

I'm not the boss (far from it...) so not absolutely sure of the costs, but less than two grand I think for the crane hire, equipment, insurance, wages etc. Easy enough to find out, though it would need a site inspection to get a definite price. We did maintenance on the floodlights a while ago, so I guess the boss has a reasonable idea of the set-up for a back of an envelope calculation.

Further to the idea about a supporters' match, I've just had an email from Stoke City with a very similar type of fundraising effort.

Stoke City Football Club are delighted to be able to offer you the chance to realise the dream of every Stoke fan by playing on the pitch here at the Britannia Stadium!

You and your group can book a slot to experience a day as a professional footballer by taking part in a match on the hallowed turf at the end of the season.

The cost of a 3-hour pitch slot is £3,000 plus vat and includes:

• 90 minute 11-a-side match
  • Full use of the players’ dressing rooms
  • adidas kit provided for each team (30 kits total)
  • Maximum of 15 players on each team (starting 11 plus 4 rolling substitutes)
  • Referee and Linesman provided
  • Bring along friends and family to watch from the stands
  • 2 slot times to choose from; 12:30pm arrival (kick off 1:30pm) or 5:30pm arrival (kick off 6:30pm)
  • Dates available from 23rd May to 5th June (subject to availability)

On the basis of 30 players taking part, it works out at just £100 per person plus vat and each player will receive a full adidas kit as part of the deal!

At a ton each there won't be too many people who would sign up for it just for the fun of it, but when you have stag nights that go all over central Europe, this must cost about the same as that.

• 2 weeks later...

This is probably in the wrong place, but I didn't think it deserved its own thread.

I've been receiving emails from Cardiff City recently (ever since I went to the Scotland match at their new ground actually) pushing their season tickets for next season and the ability to already pay for them online. Perhaps this is something the board should be looking into doing as early as possible. Whilst the JT has lost any momentum it has ever had, perhaps they could try and get the board to run with this? (and payment in installments too?)