Spl Reconstruction

PaleGreySky

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this is the right place to add my tuppenceworth on the question of league reconstruction. Scotland has 42 senior teams, so three divisions each of 14 teams seems the obvious solution. Each team plays each other team once at home and once away = 26 matches. Each division then splits into a top 7 and a bottom 7, and these play each other team in their group once at home and once away = a further 12 matches, making a total of 38 league matches (which is two more than in a 10-team division playing each other 4 times). Two up and two down between the divisions, please. Add in the Scottish Cup, the League Cup, and the Alba Cup and that should provide sufficient variation without rupturing the whole Scottish system for ever. It also means the OF will effectively be guaranteed their 4 games per year in the League, so the TV companies should be happy. The fractionally bigger number of league matches should also help the continued existence of those teams which need a drip-feed of attendance income. I don't think there is any call for regionalised divisions in a country the size of Scotland. In practical terms, how many times per season are Stranraer going to be drawn against Ross County? And please let's be realistic about how many full-time clubs Scotland can cope with! Comments welcome.

I hope this is the right place to add my tuppenceworth on the question of league reconstruction. Scotland has 42 senior teams, so three divisions each of 14 teams seems the obvious solution. Each team plays each other team once at home and once away = 26 matches. Each division then splits into a top 7 and a bottom 7, and these play each other team in their group once at home and once away = a further 12 matches, making a total of 38 league matches (which is two more than in a 10-team division playing each other 4 times). Two up and two down between the divisions, please. Add in the Scottish Cup, the League Cup, and the Alba Cup and that should provide sufficient variation without rupturing the whole Scottish system for ever. It also means the OF will effectively be guaranteed their 4 games per year in the League, so the TV companies should be happy. The fractionally bigger number of league matches should also help the continued existence of those teams which need a drip-feed of attendance income. I don't think there is any call for regionalised divisions in a country the size of Scotland. In practical terms, how many times per season are Stranraer going to be drawn against Ross County? And please let's be realistic about how many full-time clubs Scotland can cope with! Comments welcome.

Sounds good to me, what about play-offs in there too

• Members

The only problem is the number of games. Some teams struggle to fit all their games in towards the end of the season anyway, this could make it worse and there's still the problematic issue of a possible 6, 7 or 8 games against the same team in a season!

14 is still a better number than 12 or 10 though for league size!

so the team potentially finishing 8th could be challenging for europe but cant lol

thats just stupid ! a 14 team league is laughable ! I would rather keep 12 and have a play off or 2 up 2 down tbh i could give a flying eff about the spl the chances are we wont be back there anytime soon. The only thing i want is a fair first divsion imo i think it is a good league and 1 promotion spot is not in the modern times so 2 up but the second is from a play off easy as that no need to restructure i think we should give that ago before radical changes

so the team potentially finishing 8th could be challenging for europe but cant lol

thats just stupid ! a 14 team league is laughable ! I would rather keep 12 and have a play off or 2 up 2 down tbh i could give a flying eff about the spl the chances are we wont be back there anytime soon. The only thing i want is a fair first divsion imo i think it is a good league and 1 promotion spot is not in the modern times so 2 up but the second is from a play off easy as that no need to restructure i think we should give that ago before radical changes

This whole subject is too important for us to let it slip off the forum index page! A couple of points to add for clarification: it is essential that teams play each other an even number of times, otherwise someone will bleat that they have not been treated fairly - hence why I proposed the 26+12 formula in my post of 10 January; and secondly, I quite intentionally did not say anything about the post-split arrangement debarring a team in the lower half from catching up and overtaking a team in the upper half - with 36 potential league points at stake, my formula would guarantee no 'meaningless' matches because the interest in all teams would be maintained right to the end of the season (and, yes, in the top league that could mean a place in Europe!), such that every team would retain an interest in either getting into the top two guaranteed promotion places or in avoiding the bottom two guaranteed relegation places. If we want to add even more spice, we could discuss having a play-off system (up and down respectively) for the 3rd-placed and 12th-placed teams. All views welcome!

This whole subject is too important for us to let it slip off the forum index page! A couple of points to add for clarification: it is essential that teams play each other an even number of times, otherwise someone will bleat that they have not been treated fairly - hence why I proposed the 26+12 formula in my post of 10 January; and secondly, I quite intentionally did not say anything about the post-split arrangement debarring a team in the lower half from catching up and overtaking a team in the upper half - with 36 potential league points at stake, my formula would guarantee no 'meaningless' matches because the interest in all teams would be maintained right to the end of the season (and, yes, in the top league that could mean a place in Europe!), such that every team would retain an interest in either getting into the top two guaranteed promotion places or in avoiding the bottom two guaranteed relegation places. If we want to add even more spice, we could discuss having a play-off system (up and down respectively) for the 3rd-placed and 12th-placed teams. All views welcome!

I don't see how this could work fairly. If I understand you correctly this would mean being 8th or 9th at the split (where teams in 3rd through to 9 are fairly close) would be a huge advantage as you would only face the poorer teams, while the team in seventh would need to play the OF etc. for the same goal. I would say that if there is a split, it has to be a total split. Which is why there shouldn't be a split at all.

I don't see how this could work fairly. If I understand you correctly this would mean being 8th or 9th at the split (where teams in 3rd through to 9 are fairly close) would be a huge advantage as you would only face the poorer teams, while the team in seventh would need to play the OF etc. for the same goal. I would say that if there is a split, it has to be a total split. Which is why there shouldn't be a split at all.

Point taken! To be frank, I'm not particularly worried how the SPL organises itself, as long as we have two up/two down guaranteed, with the possibility of play-offs as well. My concern is for what would become of the other two divisions - SFL 1 and 2 - and there I think that my 26+12 proposal is a good one, which responds to all the requirements which will avoid the current "4 times against everyone" drudgery. Let's keep this topic going!

We don't need to worry about this anymore. The Daily Retard is on the case on our behalf.

14 team league isn't enough.

18 team league (2up/2down and 3rd bottom v 3rd top playoff), regional mini-leagues in league cup, thats the only way forward imo.

Edited by yoda-jag

14 team league isn't enough.

18 team league (2up/2down and 3rd bottom v 3rd top playoff), regional mini-leagues in league cup, thats the only way forward imo.

I remember reading somewhere that UEFA would prefer all their countries' top leagues to have 16 teams. Every team plays each other twice, and plenty of time for preparation for European ties etc.

Simple as.

I remember reading somewhere that UEFA would prefer all their countries' top leagues to have 16 teams. Every team plays each other twice, and plenty of time for preparation for European ties etc.

Simple as.

We would have walked the Intertoto Cup if we had been in a 16 team league.

Simple as.

To make up the games re-instate mini leagues in League Cup, played early season, with those qualifying for Europe given byes into the next round.

Re League Cup, don't need to get too bogged down in arithmetic. Where there's a will there's a way.

Something like 4 euro qualifying clubs byed. Invite 2 clubs from Juniors, Highland League whatever to make numbers up to 40. 8 leagues each with 5 clubs playing home & away. 8 winners go thru plus 4 best runners up. Those 12 clubs are joined by the 4 Euro clubs to make 16 and a straight knock out from there on.

As it is now each SFL club is guaranteed 18 home matches and one split League Cup tie (ignoring the inane Alba Cup). A 16 club league would provide 15 home matches and a sectionalised League Cup (as above) would provide a further minimum of 4 home games.

Also I'd seed the League Cup sections based on league finishing positions the season before. That would have the likely added incentive of mid table teams having something to play for late into the season.

Let's be honest, the SPL would be willing to agree to any restructuring that delivered four Rangers v Celtic and Hibs v Hearts games each year. That's where the value lies in relation to television rights and, frankly, all they are interested in.

As for the wider interests of Scottish football - frankly, they don't give a damn!

Edited by Allan Heron

To make up the games re-instate mini leagues in League Cup, played early season, with those qualifying for Europe given byes into the next round.

Re League Cup, don't need to get too bogged down in arithmetic. Where there's a will there's a way.

Something like 4 euro qualifying clubs byed. Invite 2 clubs from Juniors, Highland League whatever to make numbers up to 40. 8 leagues each with 5 clubs playing home & away. 8 winners go thru plus 4 best runners up. Those 12 clubs are joined by the 4 Euro clubs to make 16 and a straight knock out from there on.

As it is now each SFL club is guaranteed 18 home matches and one split League Cup tie (ignoring the inane Alba Cup). A 16 club league would provide 15 home matches and a sectionalised League Cup (as above) would provide a further minimum of 4 home games.

Also I'd seed the League Cup sections based on league finishing positions the season before. That would have the likely added incentive of mid table teams having something to play for late into the season.

All very sensible. You should send that to the SPL, SFL, and SFA!

Let's be honest, the SPL would be willing to agree to any restructuring that delivered four Rangers v Celtic and Hibs v Hearts games each year. That's where the value lies in relation to television rights and, frankly, all they are interested in.

As for the wider interests of Scottish football - frankly, they don't give a damn!

Allan Heron's observation is spot on! Go back to my reconstruction proposal and it delivers exactly what is required to satisfy all participants. If we dispense with the notion that no team in the 'bottom half' can catch up with and overtake a team in the 'top half', and throw in play-offs for good measure, then we will have got round the '4 x everybody' drudgery! That would - I am confident - lead to an improvement in attendances.

Sky Sports News just reported they reckon there would be 44 games a season in the 12 team SPL2 rather than having any sort of split.

Don't know if that's just guesswork on their part or if they've been told this.

Seems to make sense. More games to make up the income gap, like they do in the English Championship.