Palestinian And Basque Flags?

patrick bateman

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought George Galloway had started his " round the grounds" campaign trail. What next irish tri-colours, terrorist worship and conspiracy theories. please keep this guff out of firhill.

Wondered what they were, said to my mate "hope it's not some sort of political statement". Agreed, not wanted!!!

Saw the wee guy putting the basque flag up, don't think this sorta stuff belongs at firhill even if I do agree with certain things or not etc, don't won't firhill turning into a mini parkhead

It was recently suggested that we could reinvent ourselves in a St Pauli sort of way, though of course Celtic have jumped in there, revolutionaries that they are. The Green Brigade are a great example to us all of course. Makes you feel proud, especially with war criminal John Reid as El Presidente.

Keep this crap out of Firhill! Basque Flag's are common at Celtic Park due to stupid Celtic fans thinking that the ETA and IRA serve some sort of common goal of being rebels against a sovereign state! FOOTBALL AND POLITICS NEED TO BE SEPARATE, and if we don't keep them separate us Jags will be dragged into politics that has already plagued Scottish football.

As for the Palestine and Basque flags - political beliefs and affiliations are personal, there is a time and place for voicing them, football is/should not be one of them - Football and politics should be separate. Sorry about the rant, but it's something I feel very passionate about!

Edited by Yellow & Redneck

Keep this crap out of Firhill! Basque Flag's are common at Celtic Park due to stupid Celtic fans thinking that the ETA and IRA serve some sort of common goal of being rebels against a sovereign state! FOOTBALL AND POLITICS NEED TO BE SEPARATE, any if we don't keep them separate us Jags are no better than both Rangers and Celtic!

As for the Palestine and Basque flags - political beliefs and affiliations are personal, there is a time and place for voicing them, football is/should not be one of them - Football and politics should be separate. Sorry about the rant, but it's something I feel very passionate about!

No need for apologies. These sort of things need nipped in the bud before they escalate into something far more sinister. Before you know it Allan Heron will be dishing out Lib Dem propaganda at half time. :o

I noticed a palestinian flag as well, found out who it belonged to and had a quiet word. They took it down without any fuss so fair play as long as its understood that political statements are not welcome at firhill.

Never seen the basque flag, it must have been away by the time I got to my seat?

Quite right, nipped in the bud. The OF can keep this pish to themselves. I used to be a bit keen on StPauli but not for political reasons. They are the Hamburg alternative team and punks and goths etc tend to follow them. I seem to remember that for a while Andrew Eldritch of the Sisters of Mercy actually sponsored them for a while (he lives in Hamburg). But Celtic fans are all neds so they are deluding themselves.

Keep this crap out of Firhill! Basque Flag's are common at Celtic Park due to stupid Celtic fans thinking that the ETA and IRA serve some sort of common goal of being rebels against a sovereign state! FOOTBALL AND POLITICS NEED TO BE SEPARATE, and if we don't keep them separate us Jags will be dragged into politics that has already plagued Scottish football.

I agree with the flags not being welcome at Firhill, but I don't get this constant mantra to keep football and politics seperate. They have never been seperate and always been influencing each other for the better and worse, whether we like it or not. We are fooling ourselves, if we think that the political reality just stops at the stadium gates. It needs to be appropriate though and I don't see the need in having Palestinian and Basque flags at Firhill...

To show we were basquing in the glory of our cup win??

I'd like to see some of our female supporters turning up at Thistle games, actively showing their backing for the basque movement.

Heck, this could be a huge marketing success, the club are always looking for ideas to make money.

Get the colours and style right, and wham bam, jobs a good 'un.

I agree with the flags not being welcome at Firhill, but I don't get this constant mantra to keep football and politics seperate. They have never been seperate and always been influencing each other for the better and worse, whether we like it or not. We are fooling ourselves, if we think that the political reality just stops at the stadium gates.

What a load of shi'ite. I've been going to Thistle games for over 40 years and never ONCE have I heard or uttered or heard a word of politics whilst there. Not have I witnessed any political activity - unless you call not sitting down your seat political activity....

We don't want these flags. Leave them to the stone-age cretins of the Old Filth.

Edited by crazy davie