Mccall V Top Flight Teams

Woodstock Jag

Surely you knew that before asking?

:)

I thought so, but I wanted to be certain.

I think this is his full record against top flight teams...

Thistle 0-2 Aberdeen (LC 3rd round, Aberdeen reach SF)

Rangers 1-1 Thistle (SC QF)

Thistle 0-2 Rangers (SC QF[R], Rangers go on to win)

Thistle 1-2 (AET) Rangers (LC 3rd round, Rangers reach Final)

ICT 3-0 Thistle (SC 4th round, ICT reach QF)

Thistle 0-2 Dundee United (SC 4th round, Dundee United go on to win)

Edited by Woodstock Jag

Would read absolutely nothing into that..

We've beaten Falkirk this season, who basically have the same squad that was in the SPL last season, we also beat ICT last season, who also have a similar squad to last season. Again, that doesn't mean anything, but just because we haven't beaten an SPL team so far doesn't mean we're not good enough to/or won't.

I thought so, but I wanted to be certain.

I think this is his full record against top flight teams...

Thistle 0-2 Aberdeen

Rangers 1-1 Thistle

Thistle 0-2 Rangers

Thistle 1-2 Rangers

ICT 3-0 Thistle

Thistle 0-2 Dundee United

Correct, in competitive games at least. Don't think tho' that we've been that much away from a win.

I guess the closest we've been to winning was at Ibrox but we could easily have had draws against United and Rangers (after extra time). In the latter tho' I wouldn't have fancied our chances in a shoot out at Firhill against Rangers as Tuffey was carrying an injury picked up in extra time.

The game against Aberdeen hinged round Roberts missed penalty as could even be argued about Donnelly's miss v Rangers. Even the game in Inverness would have been salvageable if we could have switched on earlier. We were the better side in the second half.

There rests the case for the defence :D

Would read absolutely nothing into that..

We've beaten Falkirk this season, who basically have the same squad that was in the SPL last season, we also beat ICT last season, who also have a similar squad to last season. Again, that doesn't mean anything, but just because we haven't beaten an SPL team so far doesn't mean we're not good enough to/or won't.

It's not a question of whether we're good enough. The question is do we have the bottle...

Let's hope so.

You're forgetting he managed other teams before us, or do you mean Thistle (with McCall) vs top flight teams?

I think this is a list of matches against SPL teams (not including his time with Dundee Utd).

LC 1997/98 St Mirren 2 - 0 Clydebank

SC 1998/99 Clydebank 2 - 2 Dundee Utd

SC 1998/99 Dundee Utd 3 - 2 Clydebank

Can't find accurate dates for McCall's tenure with Morton but they lost 10 to Rangers in the 2000 SC

LC 2001/02 Airdrieonians 2 - 1 Motherwell

LC 2001/02 Rangers 3 - 0 Airdrieonians

SC 2001/02 Kilmarnock 3 - 0 Airdrieonians

LC 2002/03 Dunfermline 2 - 0 Falkirk

SC 2002/03 Falkirk 4 - 0 Hearts

LC 2006/07 Queen of the South 1 - 2 Kilmarnock (aet)

SC 2006/07 Queen of the South 1 - 2 Hibernian

A couple of wins in there, nothing since January 2003, so 8 years later he must be due a win.

What question? It was you who started the thread. You never mentioned anything about "bottle".

Getting a bit facetious Lizzy? :thinking:

All I was saying was that his record with Thistle against top-league teams isn't great. I'm wondering if there's some sort of psychological block.

Nothing to do with bottle, it's just another team, who up until 2 seasons ago were in the same division as us.

What I'm asking is if anything can be read into it that on the bigger stage in the cup, against higher-league opposition, McCall's Thistle sides lack the bottle to make it through. It's not just about who we're playing but if there is a psychological barrier to playing teams a league above.

You're forgetting he managed other teams before us, or do you mean Thistle (with McCall) vs top flight teams?

First post:

Am I right in saying that as Thistle manager, McCall has never beaten an SPL side in a competitive fixture?

First post:

Apologies, must have skimmed that sentence after reading the thread title.

Not a very good record, but then again you don't expect cup upsets, they just happen over time. We perhaps should have done a job over ICT a couple of seasons back but other than that they were all tough games.

Getting a bit facetious Lizzy? :thinking:

All I was saying was that his record with Thistle against top-league teams isn't great. I'm wondering if there's some sort of psychological block.

Sorry, wasn't meant to be facetious. I think only six games against SPL teams is too little to draw any conclusion but I was at all those games and didn't sense anytime we suffered from a lack of bottle.

In two of the three games against Rangers we played well above ourselves. Iirc we only went out of the last game in extra time due to an individual error from McKinley. Besides both goals we lost that night were of an exceptional standard.

Most recently we lost to Dundee Utd. Putting the handball goal aside in this game we didn't score but us not scoring was the norm last year against much worse opposition than United. Up at Inverness as I've posted earlier we got tore into them albeit too late. Penalty misses (both from experienced players) hampered our chances against Rangers & Aberdeen. That leaves the game at Ibrox and I can't believe anyone would question the fact we were up for it that night.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I think this is a list of matches against SPL teams (not including his time with Dundee Utd).

LC 1997/98 St Mirren 2 - 0 Clydebank

SC 1998/99 Clydebank 2 - 2 Dundee Utd

SC 1998/99 Dundee Utd 3 - 2 Clydebank

Can't find accurate dates for McCall's tenure with Morton but they lost 10 to Rangers in the 2000 SC

LC 2001/02 Airdrieonians 2 - 1 Motherwell

LC 2001/02 Rangers 3 - 0 Airdrieonians

SC 2001/02 Kilmarnock 3 - 0 Airdrieonians

LC 2002/03 Dunfermline 2 - 0 Falkirk

SC 2002/03 Falkirk 4 - 0 Hearts

LC 2006/07 Queen of the South 1 - 2 Kilmarnock (aet)

SC 2006/07 Queen of the South 1 - 2 Hibernian

A couple of wins in there, nothing since January 2003, so 8 years later he must be due a win.

Did Clydebank not beat Hibs when McCall was Manager of the Bankies?

Did Clydebank not beat Hibs when McCall was Manager of the Bankies?

I did my research through wikipedia, but I think I did copy a note of that game before checking what division Hibs were in at the time and then removing it. There may be errors though as I wasn't entirely sure of some details regarding his time with each club or dates which games were played. And I could easily have missed some.

Dunfermline were very unlucky against their SPL opponents yesterday clearly having benefited from a footballing Master Class lesson at Firhill.

St Johnstone lost to Aberdeen 1-0 in August and then beat them by a Zander Diamond own goal in the 83rd minute the last time they met so there is nothing in it there.

Ipsofacto we stand to beat them by a couple of goals on recent form subject to retaining the proverbial bottle and the law of billy bunter averages.

Then again, if my auntie had a c@ck she'd be my uncle.

'mon the Jags!!!

Dunfermline were very unlucky against their SPL opponents yesterday clearly having benefited from a footballing Master Class lesson at Firhill.

St Johnstone lost to Aberdeen 1-0 in August and then beat them by a Zander Diamond own goal in the 83rd minute the last time they met so there is nothing in it there.

Ipsofacto we stand to beat them by a couple of goals on recent form subject to retaining the proverbial bottle and the law of billy bunter averages.

Then again, if my auntie had a c@ck she'd be my uncle.

'mon the Jags!!!

But Morton were hammered 5-1 by ICT so lets not get to much ahead of ourselves yet.