Hellish!

Lindau

Pity that McCall won't face facts - he put Donnelly out to slow up the game, but Donnelly's legs are shot, and he doesn't have a good influence on the team when it needs to be resilient. The result was that the sole striker likely to cause problems was Grehan (who did play well), who is a target-man, constantly looking for someone to take the ball off him. Result: no threat to the opposition's goal, and they can move forward with the support of their defence. (They saw their chance, and moved to a three-man defence.)

McCall also switched to 5-3-2, which has served us so badly on numerous occasions, including at Palmerston: we back off too much, crowding the penalty box, and then clear the ball straight back to the opposition, who then punt it into the box again. Sooner or later, they'll get lucky - something which doesn't happen if they're not given possession cheaply. Back to 2010. :mad2:

McCall described it as being 'mugged', but in reality it was more like standing on a street corner dangling our wallet on our fingertips. :(

Would have taken a point before the game but after being 3 1 up with so little time left it is very dissappointing to draw.But we dont know how many of our players were still feeling the efects of this bug.It is good the young keeper now has a first team game under his belt and he seems to have done ok.If i remember right Leeds last 2 goal leads in 3 or 4 games in a row earlier in the season,so we are not the only ones ,but it would be nice to see us coming into games ourselves when we are 2 down instead of just looking as if we have given up.We are not going to win the league but i would like to see us getting some more wins asap just so we are not involved in any last minute relegation battle although i think the bottom 3 will be Stirling Albion,Cowdenbeath and Ross County anyway lets get a victory on Tuesday and 4pts out of those 2 games would be good.

Gutted. Feels like a defeat.

McCall did well to replace Erskine, who was having no effect at all, with Flannigan who offered a little bit more. It was no coincidence, in my opinion, that soon after Erskine came off, we scored. It's strange how Erskine is applauded (well, maybe not applauded but humoured almost) when he gives the ball away yet as soon as Grehan, for example, loses the ball, he's roundly criticised. I'm not getting on his back, just an observation. I know he's been under-the-weather recently in the past two games so his performances can perhaps be excused.

For me, we shot ourselves in the foot and pissed the points away when we brought Sid on. I love Sid and will defend him to the hilt against the morons who abuse him as soon as he sets foot on the pitch but today wasn't a game to introduce him. Doolan had played a great game, taking the ball into feet, holding it up and laying it off - a job Sid is usually very good at. Difference being that Doolan is far more mobile than Sid. The ball just wasn't sticking with Sid so, as a result, it just kept coming back on top of us.

Can see why McCall switched to 3-5-2 because Queens had punted Holmes, McMenamin and Weatherston up-front. I don't necessarily think that's what lost us two points.

Grehan had a great game, as did Doolan. Hodge was good again and Kinniburgh had a solid game. Shepherd done okay, if a little nervous. Think we would have an extra two points in the bag had Fox been in goals, though.

Would have taken a point before the match but it's a sickener.

McCall did well to replace Erskine, who was having no effect at all, with Flannigan who offered a little bit more. It was no coincidence, in my opinion, that soon after Erskine came off, we scored. It's strange how Erskine is applauded (well, maybe not applauded but humoured almost) when he gives the ball away yet as soon as Grehan, for example, loses the ball, he's roundly criticised. I'm not getting on his back, just an observation. I know he's been under-the-weather recently in the past two games so his performances can perhaps be excused.

For me, we shot ourselves in the foot and pissed the points away when we brought Sid on. I love Sid and will defend him to the hilt against the morons who abuse him as soon as he sets foot on the pitch but today wasn't a game to introduce him. Doolan had played a great game, taking the ball into feet, holding it up and laying it off - a job Sid is usually very good at. Difference being that Doolan is far more mobile than Sid. The ball just wasn't sticking with Sid so, as a result, it just kept coming back on top of us.

Can see why McCall switched to 3-5-2 because Queens had punted Holmes, McMenamin and Weatherston up-front. I don't necessarily think that's what lost us two points.

Grehan had a great game, as did Doolan. Hodge was good again and Kinniburgh had a solid game. Shepherd done okay, if a little nervous. Think we would have an extra two points in the bag had Fox been in goals, though.

Very much as I saw it. Tbh I can't agree with much of Fearchar's account.

Very much as I saw it. Tbh I can't agree with much of Fearchar's account.

Pretty much sums it up Armand. I think 2 players deserve a special mention. Martin Grehan put in another good performance following on from midweek and Bryan Hodge is a totally different player from 6 months ago. Hodge was dictating play at times and snapping into challenges. Thought Doolan and Grehan looked like a very good partnership in the making.

No idea how we didn't win, dominated the game. Queens only had 5 shots all game, scored with 3.

Shepherd was dodgy with his kicking at the start, but got better & really didn't have much to do. Good save before the rebound was put in for their 3rd.

Robertson was great at RB, better than Paton, when he made a pass he belted forward to get a return pass. Great performance. Hodge, Doolan, Grehan, Kinniburgh, Boyle also had good games. Rowson & Flannigan did no wrong too.

Gutted we didn't win, certainly deserved to.

My statement: "McCall described it as being 'mugged', but in reality it was more like standing on a street corner dangling our wallet on our fingertips. :("

McCall's statement: "Not for the first time this season we left Palmerston Park this afternoon feeling as if we had been mugged." [My emphasis}

naw he never, using creative licence to create an analogy there I reckon :P

Read it for yourself: it's in the link at the top.

Gutted by this result. In work and went for a fag at 3-1 one up with seven minutes to go only to come back, glance at Sky Sports news and feel my heart sink. Those two points would've made a real difference to us having a chance of mounting a challenge of sorts... gutted!

We need to pick ourselves up from that quick and get three points against the blue Brazil in midweek thens stick one up the brown-shoed one on Saturday now.

My statement: "McCall described it as being 'mugged', but in reality it was more like standing on a street corner dangling our wallet on our fingertips. :("

McCall's statement: "Not for the first time this season we left Palmerston Park this afternoon feeling as if we had been mugged." [My emphasis}

You've put quotation marks round the opening sentence from the After Match Reaction when it isn't a quote from Ian McCall.

Edited by Tom Hosie

You've put quotation marks round the opening sentence from the After Match Reaction when it isn't a quote from Ian McCall.

Good point, but failing a byline, the after-match reaction can only be expected to come entirely from the manager, albeit as reported rather than direct speech: the way that the article is presented, it reflects the views of one man explicitly and no-one else, even implicitly.

The casual reader can only assume that the OF site version reflects the club's view, which, in this case, must be the manager's, since he's the one responsible for the football. If that's not the case, then the OF site should use a byline.

I did, and it wasn't a McCall statement. Anyway others, including the writer of said piece, have already put you right.

Armand 2 and 1JL's posts summarise it to a T for me.

Starting to tire a bit, now, of the ever-pleasant locals coming up to me after the match and saying "Aye, yeez wur robbed son", "nae luck pal, yeez played well and yull no be gannin doon" etc.

Couple of supplementary points: we never seem to get anything off refs at Palmerston, and yesterday was no exception. Their first goal was clearly offside from where I was sitting - directly in line. And secondly, good to see Bobby Kettlewell hasn't lost the knack of garnering the attention of away club stewards. I thought the ageing big fat steward was going to have a heart attack by the time he finished 'having a word' with BK then lurched up the back to do likewise with the chanters. Funny as f_ck.

First and foremost, how very frustrating.

How we can manage to lose a 3-1 lead with minutes to play is mind boggling.

However I feel that the change in formation has to take a large part of the blame.

It's no co-incidence that we often happen to be playing 3-5-2 when lose a lead, both recently and in McCall's earlier seasons.

e.g. Losing a 2-0 lead to St Johnstone with 2 minutes left, or even the Ross County Challenge Cup game this season. The problem being that we pack our own box with 5 defenders and 2 defensive midfielders in Hodge and Rowson. As a result there is no outlet further up the field, we just hoof the ball clear to no-one and instead of chasing, we stay in 2 lines in/in front of our own box, giving the opposition time to punt another ball into the box. Sooner or later they will get a chance, thanks to defenders getting in each others' way and not providing a short forward pass option. Granted, we don't have the same squad now as 4 years ago, but McCall hasn't learned lessons. Constantly defending againts high balls when in a marginal lead is nonsense. We were coping fine with the 4-4-2, they didn't look like scoring at all, just like Ross County earlier in the season. Trying to defend when there is little defending to be done is asking for a trouble. But 10 minutes of panic shouldn't cover what was otherwise a very good display. Hopefully the team will take it out on Cowdenbeath. A good chance to get a win and possibly move into positive goal difference.

Positives:

- Boyle was very good, never gave up on the ball and was always available in attack.

- Hodge is getting into his stride which is something I thought I'd never see, still a little slack at times but is always looking for the ball.

- Grehan and Doolan both put in good shifts. Hopefully Grehan can show he ability he showed yesterday more often.

Last point: Shepherd. No doubt he would have been a bag of nerves yesterday, but if that was Halliwell he would have taken a pasting from the fans. In hindsight perhaps Hinchcliffe would have been a wiser choice, smaller pitch dimensions meaning less ground for keeper to cover and so on. Shepherd seemed to lack proper communication with the defence and seemed glued to the goal-line at crosses. I know Hinchy is like a sack of potatoes, but he would probably have caused less panic. In good time, Shepherd will hopefully grow in confidence.

Incidentally, pardon my ignorance, where was Fox? Was he ill or did Tuesday's Wednesday's knock have an impact?

Shepherd wasn't to blame for the result yesterday. The manager was.

I take by that you put the lion's share of the blame on McCall for us throwing away a two goal lead. Up till then I doubt there was much to complain about of either the players or manager. As posted elsewhere switching to 3-5-2 may have been an error as it invites the opposing team into attack. I thought at the time of the change it was to counteract the threat of Wetherston's pace particularly against Robertson.

I'm not a great lover of our 3-5-2 as it usually negates our scoring chances but yesterday we scored after the change to set up. All this is a rather long winded way of saying that I believe the players more at fault for throwing away two late goals. There was a fair handful of very experienced players on at the end and I would've expected them to have handled things a lot better. Imo in this instance players far more culpable than manager.

I Thought the young keeper looked good, he did a lot of decent things, 3 bad kicks that was all, thought his kicking after that was really good in fact.

for me following on from a decent performance on Wed, I though Grehan was good yesterday, keep it up big man and we may have found a decent player.

The main prob yesterday, was the the positional chnages after Paton came on, I would have played him wide right in front of Robbo(who played well), instead Mccall puts Paton at Right Back, Rowson further right and Robbo holding the Midfield. From then on we saw Quinn and Johnston ge more of the ball and we were pushed further back. Rowson doesnt give anyone anytime on the ball, we missed him in there.

I think the main problem yesterday is that, as per usual, we bottled it! 3-1 up with 7mins to go, we had a few opportunities to make it 4-1, but no, we piss around and try to hold the ball up. Ian McCall should not have brought on Donnelly, Doolan was playing very very well, and he did not look in the least bit tired.

But we did not learn from McLaren's goal to make it 3-2 (not a player within 5 yards of him), then we conceded only a moment later again because our defenders can't react to the loose ball!

Great teams play for 90mins, not 88mins, and as cynical as it sounds, I'm glad we conceded the 2 goals, as in all honesty it was what we deserved for taking our eye of the ball! 88mins of FANTASTIC football, ruined by 2 moments of suicidal defending, it's a hard lesson, but a lesson we need to learn. (Identical to the 2-2 draw at Firhill against St.Johnstone a few seasons, just like yesterday, we learned, a 2 goal lead is never enough!)I hope we can bounce back on Tuesday night, I fully expect we should, but yesterday was a lesson for the rest of the season.

We were not mugged like McCall said, we were our own worst enemy. But it is now 7 league games unbeaten, and the Cowdenbeath and Morton games in the next 2 weeks, will ultimately seal our fate in this league.

I Thought the young keeper looked good, he did a lot of decent things, 3 bad kicks that was all, thought his kicking after that was really good in fact.

for me following on from a decent performance on Wed, I though Grehan was good yesterday, keep it up big man and we may have found a decent player.

The main prob yesterday, was the the positional chnages after Paton came on, I would have played him wide right in front of Robbo(who played well), instead Mccall puts Paton at Right Back, Rowson further right and Robbo holding the Midfield. From then on we saw Quinn and Johnston ge more of the ball and we were pushed further back. Rowson doesnt give anyone anytime on the ball, we missed him in there.

Spot on! Shepherd sounds promising and should not take any blame. It was a big challenge, at only 18, to make your first at Palmerston. He would have been very nervous, especially replacing Fox who has been in great form.

4-4-2 has worked well in recent weeks so McCall was crazy to change the formation. Robertson's best position is right-back and Paton would do fine on the right of a 4 man midfield.

I think the main problem yesterday is that, as per usual, we bottled it! 3-1 up with 7mins to go, we had a few opportunities to make it 4-1, but no, we piss around and try to hold the ball up. Ian McCall should not have brought on Donnelly, Doolan was playing very very well, and he did not look in the least bit tired.

But we did not learn from McLaren's goal to make it 3-2 (not a player within 5 yards of him), then we conceded only a moment later again because our defenders can't react to the loose ball!

Great teams play for 90mins, not 88mins, and as cynical as it sounds, I'm glad we conceded the 2 goals, as in all honesty it was what we deserved for taking our eye of the ball! 88mins of FANTASTIC football, ruined by 2 moments of suicidal defending, it's a hard lesson, but a lesson we need to learn. (Identical to the 2-2 draw at Firhill against St.Johnstone a few seasons, just like yesterday, we learned, a 2 goal lead is never enough!)I hope we can bounce back on Tuesday night, I fully expect we should, but yesterday was a lesson for the rest of the season.

We were not mugged like McCall said, we were our own worst enemy. But it is now 7 league games unbeaten, and the Cowdenbeath and Morton games in the next 2 weeks, will ultimately seal our fate in this league.

McCall never said we were mugged :wall:

Mabe just me but i thought we still played 4-4-2 when paton came on.paton at RB and robertson moved into central mid with rowson moved out wide right.may have looked like3-5-2 as robertson just got deeper and deeper.should have been straight swap for cairney.first goal was a couple of yards offside.

roll on tuesday