Hamilton Accies

PaleGreySky

How on earth can they have got into the SPL ahead of clubs like Dunfermline, Dundee, Falkirk, Queen of the South, Morton, Ross County and ourselves? They're such a diddy team it's unbelievable - 250 fans at Fir Park for their 'derby'.

Pretty impressive youth team, producing some fine players, who go on to much higher things. A model for us surely. If they can do it with such a small supporter base then surely we could do it even better.

On the field, they got there fair and square, and deserved to stay up last season, but it looks like they might be heading down again soon. Inevitably I think.

Pretty impressive youth team, producing some fine players, who go on to much higher things. A model for us surely. If they can do it with such a small supporter base then surely we could do it even better.

On the field, they got there fair and square, and deserved to stay up last season, but it looks like they might be heading down again soon. Inevitably I think.

you can say that again!!!! :thumbsup2:

How on earth can they have got into the SPL ahead of clubs like Dunfermline, Dundee, Falkirk, Queen of the South, Morton, Ross County and ourselves? They're such a diddy team it's unbelievable - 250 fans at Fir Park for their 'derby'.

In three words McArthur, McCarthy & Easton. Got to admire their well established youth policy, which has more than compensated for their lack of money thru the turnstiles.

I doubt their likely relegation will be much lamented amongst SPL clubs, even to include Motherwell (for reason you point out).

edited to add they didn't of course get promoted ahead of Falkirk.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

On the field, they got there fair and square

Hardly fair and square when you have been playing on an artificial surface for quite a few years and nobody else in the league could cope with the difference

As for the small fan base

In 2008 their chairman said all this..........

"We are carrying no debt, so, if we go up, we'll be in a very strong position," he continued.

"With the commercial infrastructure in place, gates are not as important as they are at other clubs.

"This stadium works seven days a week, not just one day a fortnight."

They are miles ahead of us because they didn't have the same idiots running their club as we did

Pretty impressive youth system, producing some fine players, who go on to much higher things, and a great earner for the club. A model for us surely. If they can do it with such a small supporter base then surely we could do it even better, but good luck to them. They've deserved their 2 seasons in the sun.

I'd dispute that. They got there through winning just about all their home games on an artificial surface on which other teams had real problems, as they didn't understand the way the ball ran and bounced on it, whereas Hamilton practiced on it every day. Their away record showed them up to be a pretty poor team, in fact.

This just a jealousy thread?

Most teams do better at home, look at man united this year, drawing most away games, doesn't mean there pish, artificial pitch excuse? nah not buying that either

Hamilton got most points and were better than thistle and rest of the league and that's why they won it.

When I say most teams are better at home, I then remeber Hamilton seem one of few that aren't this year :P

Edited by Tinyman

First miserable thought of the day. If you think the 1st Division this season is boring, repetitive and consisting of over familiarity how worse will next season be with the imminent arrivals of Accies and Livinghell? :(

Far rather see Ayr & St Mirren joining us. The latter would at least bring a support even if it's not an out and out derby game.

Hardly fair and square when you have been playing on an artificial surface for quite a few years and nobody else in the league could cope with the difference

As for the small fan base

In 2008 their chairman said all this..........

"We are carrying no debt, so, if we go up, we'll be in a very strong position," he continued.

"With the commercial infrastructure in place, gates are not as important as they are at other clubs.

"This stadium works seven days a week, not just one day a fortnight."

They are miles ahead of us because they didn't have the same idiots running their club as we did

We may have had some idiots down the years but that's not the only reason they're well ahead of us ..

They get a lot of support from the local council for instance - who rent office space from them (in their stadium, it was built with this in mind, i.e. to create an income stream). That brings in a good bit of money every year.

It's been said before by others, Thistle suffer from being in the same city as the ugly sisters. Teams in other towns are looked on sympathetically by local government - the best we can hope for is to be ignored.

First miserable thought of the day. If you think the 1st Division this season is boring, repetitive and consisting of over familiarity how worse will next season be with the imminent arrivals of Accies and Livinghell? :(

Far rather see Ayr & St Mirren joining us. The latter would at least bring a support even if it's not an out and out derby game.

When I check the tables in the paper on Monday morning this always makes me feel miserable. Next season will be pants with those 2 in the league.

This just a jealousy thread?

Most teams do better at home, look at man united this year, drawing most away games, doesn't mean there pish, artificial pitch excuse? nah not buying that either

Hamilton got most points and were better than thistle and rest of the league and that's why they won it.

When I say most teams are better at home, I then remeber Hamilton seem one of few that aren't this year :P

Certainly no jealousy on my part, just stating fact, the fact being that their artificial pitch gave them an advantage, you could argue that it was a fair advantage seen as they didn't break any rules so i'll retract that bit and re-phrase.

Maybe it was just Thistle but it was clear to see when playing on that surface it was difficult to adapt to, it was clearly an advantage to them, so yes they got most points and topped the league, with an advantage, which is what I was meaning to begin with.

I'd dispute that. They got there through winning just about all their home games on an artificial surface on which other teams had real problems, as they didn't understand the way the ball ran and bounced on it, whereas Hamilton practiced on it every day. Their away record showed them up to be a pretty poor team, in fact.

Ok, you may have a point there. Anyway, the SFL (and SPL) allowed it so at least it was legal.

I only saw us play there once, the season before they went up. We lost 1-0 but I'm still not sure how we lost as we had most of the game, from what I remember. When they scored I hadn't seen it coming. I think they just got lucky that day, and we seemed to handle the pitch as well as they did, albeit we feckin lost! Grrr.

Edited by beep0608

Ok, you may have a point there. Anyway, the SFL (and SPL) allowed it so at least it was legal.

I only saw us play there once, the season before they went up. We lost 1-0 but I'm still not sure how we lost as we had most of the game, from what I remember. When they scored I hadn't seen it coming. I think they just got lucky that day, and we seemed to handle the pitch as well as they did, albeit we feckin lost! Grrr.

Was that the one where Paddy Keogh scored?

Anyway, it would be much better (that is, more fun) for us next season if St Mirren come down and Ayr come up. I could live with Stirling staying in the First at the expense of Livi, but the dream ticket is obviously Brechin and Ayr up with Scumdee and Cowdenbeath down. I'd laugh my a*s off if that were to occur.

Certainly no jealousy on my part, just stating fact, the fact being that their artificial pitch gave them an advantage, you could argue that it was a fair advantage seen as they didn't break any rules so i'll retract that bit and re-phrase.

Maybe it was just Thistle but it was clear to see when playing on that surface it was difficult to adapt to, it was clearly an advantage to them, so yes they got most points and topped the league, with an advantage, which is what I was meaning to begin with.

I'm sure people could say Thistle have an advantage with the awful firhill pitch,rugby being played on it making it worse than a few grounds etc etc Is that why we are crap away from home like Hamilton were? because we have advantage of pish pitch?

I'm sure people could say Thistle have an advantage with the awful firhill pitch,rugby being played on it making it worse than a few grounds etc etc Is that why we are crap away from home like Hamilton were? because we have advantage of pish pitch?

Good point.

:D

Imagine how awful our league position would be if other teams could play football at Firhill!

Don't thistle train at Firhill complex sometimes? In fact, don't most teams train on astroturf? I know it's different in a game environment but they should be able to anticipate the different bounce of the ball, etc.

This is what I'd have thought too, but the thought struck me that the ball may bounce and roll differently on different types of artificial pitch.