Macbeth And Bannigan

read'n'yell

Thought it would be good to have a thread concentrating on our youngsters out on loan. Always interesting to hear how they are doing. Start it off with a few quotes from P&B on their performances this weekend. Very encouraging...

"MacBeth was my MotM though; great touch, great energy and his movement in behind our strikers from a wide right position is superb."

"MacBeth was great in possession"

"Miller didnt move about much but was very composed on the ball and linked up well with MacBeth, who was my man of the match"

"terrific work by MacBeth who I thought was excellent today"

"McBeth was my MotM though; great touch, great energy and his movement in behind our strikers from a wide right position is superb"

Little written about Bannigan. Seems like the game was over shadowed by a 13 year old being assaulted by a group of wee neds.

Thought it would be good to have a thread concentrating on our youngsters out on loan. Always interesting to hear how they are doing. Start it off with a few quotes from P&B on their performances this weekend. Very encouraging...

"MacBeth was my MotM though; great touch, great energy and his movement in behind our strikers from a wide right position is superb."

"MacBeth was great in possession"

"Miller didnt move about much but was very composed on the ball and linked up well with MacBeth, who was my man of the match"

"terrific work by MacBeth who I thought was excellent today"

"McBeth was my MotM though; great touch, great energy and his movement in behind our strikers from a wide right position is superb"

Little written about Bannigan. Seems like the game was over shadowed by a 13 year old being assaulted by a group of wee neds.

Hello Ryan and welcome to the forum lol !

Edited by Jaggy1967

It's good to hear that McBeth is doing but we need him and Bannigan back. I'd like to see McCall try a Thistle midfield of McBeth on the right, Rowson and Hodge in the centre with Bannigan on the left. Erskine could support Doolan up front.

Disagree almost entirely. The longer Bannigan & MacBeth are out on loan for the better.

Stuart is out to Ayr for the entire season anyway. If Clyde are on the turn (positively in their case) and thus also like Ayr offering competitive football bringing Ryan back would be inadvisable.

Another thing both MacBeth and Bannigan came thru the youth set up as central midfielders. It looks like both are getting pushed a bit wider at their loan clubs. The experience they are picking up playing in unfavoured positions is also invaluable.

Further if results go against us and we're not clear of the relegation/play off zone the last thing any responsible manager would do is throw youngsters deliberately into the fray. If as most of us suspect we'll be into a comfort zone before long why then take those two away from a more competitive football environment?

Finally if/when our situation is considered OK then I feel guys like Campbell, Lochhead and Fraser should be given a start.

Disagree almost entirely. The longer Bannigan & MacBeth are out on loan for the better.

Stuart is out to Ayr for the entire season anyway. If Clyde are on the turn (positively in their case) and thus also like Ayr offering competitive football bringing Ryan back would be inadvisable.

Another thing both MacBeth and Bannigan came thru the youth set up as central midfielders. It looks like both are getting pushed a bit wider at their loan clubs. The experience they are picking up playing in unfavoured positions is also invaluable.

Further if results go against us and we're not clear of the relegation/play off zone the last thing any responsible manager would do is throw youngsters deliberately into the fray. If as most of us suspect we'll be into a comfort zone before long why then take those two away from a more competitive football environment?

Finally if/when our situation is considered OK then I feel guys like Campbell, Lochhead and Fraser should be given a start.

Very sensible post and I'm sure McCall feels the same.

Except that our precarious league position is precisely due to not playing the youngsters, but instead relying week after week on several so-called first-team squad members who are patently no longer fit for purpose. If we get really into a relegation dog-fight would you bet money on the current first-team to get us out of it? I certainly wouldn't.

Except that our precarious league position is precisely due to not playing the youngsters, but instead relying week after week on several so-called first-team squad members who are patently no longer fit for purpose. If we get really into a relegation dog-fight would you bet money on the current first-team to get us out of it? I certainly wouldn't.

If you dont mind me asking what players do you put into that categary?

Robertson, Rowson, Cairney, Donnelly, and I'd probably now include Grehan, who just doesn't look up to it.

Seriously? I think Rowson and Robertson have been their usual dependable selves. Cairney needs to get the finger out and Grehan doesn't seem to have made the jump to 1st division football yet. I'll give you Sid, time's up for him I think. Same wi Jaggy Mac and Maxwell but they have been 'bit part' players at best.

As for the youngsters, I have to say I agree completely with Lady Izzy but I expect to see a lot more of ALL our young players with 1st time experience next season...Bannigan, MacBeth, Campbell, McGeough, Burns (possibly) and Fraser.

The problem is that we have little competition for places. The young players should be given a chance to stake their claims.

I'm assuming it'll be a youngish team out tonight at Hampden. McCall in the past has put Bannigan straight into the 1st team squad on the strength of a stand out performance in the reserves. Let's see what tonight brings.

Robertson, Rowson, Cairney, Donnelly, and I'd probably now include Grehan, who just doesn't look up to it.

Eh?

Only a few weeks ago, Rowson was being praised for his lung-bursting displays and now, two draws and a defeat later, he's not "up to it". Grehan was arguably our best player in the games against St Johnstone and Queens and was then dropped after the Cowdenbeath match, a match that the whole team didn't really turn up for.

I've noticed, on the back of the last couple of results, that a lot of people seem to be getting their knickers in a twist over bugger all. We had, up until the St Johnstone game, been unbeaten since the beginning of November. Sure, the last couple of performances might have been poor but it hardly justifies questioning players who have been doing a good job for us recently.

This whole "unbeaten" thing bemuses me. Three draws might amount to being unbeaten, but such a "run" is worth no more than one win and two defeats. Either of those would amount to collecting only one third of the points up for grabs, something that we're just managing to do by the skin of our teeth. Since the season started we've taken 7 points from a possible 36 away from home.

How about this: Ross County hadn't won a single match in 10 attempts before our game against them on Saturday, yet we set out to contain them, rather than attempting seriously to win. And some people are saying that we came away with a decent result.....

Is there a head-scratching emoticon?

How anyone can say Rowson is not up to it/not fit enough etc is ridiculous, he's the fittest guy in the squad & still got good pace for his age. If you were too look at him & Cairney, you would think it was Cairney who was 34! Robertson is still as fit as ever too, his performance at Queens was excellent. As for Grehan, he did well at St. Johnstone & Queens, didn't make it to Cowdenbeath, but think he should be given a run of games. I presume after his hat-trick tonight he'll start on Saturday, he should anyway.

McNamara & Donnelly are still ok to play the odd game, McNamara was impressive at the start of the season. Think a lack of games (& training) has hampered them both recently.

This whole "unbeaten" thing bemuses me. Three draws might amount to being unbeaten, but such a "run" is worth no more than one win and two defeats. Either of those would amount to collecting only one third of the points up for grabs, something that we're just managing to do by the skin of our teeth. Since the season started we've taken 7 points from a possible 36 away from home.

How about this: Ross County hadn't won a single match in 10 attempts before our game against them on Saturday, yet we set out to contain them, rather than attempting seriously to win. And some people are saying that we came away with a decent result.....

Is there a head-scratching emoticon?

I see what you're saying but, after our start to the season, the fact we managed to stay unbeaten for almost a quarter of the season was no mean feat. True, we took as many points as we would have had we won four games and lost four but the performances in those games were pretty encouraging. Our away form is dismal, I don't dispute that, but that's largely irrelevant when commenting on the overall capability of some of our players.

With a new manager coming in at Ross County, their players were always going to be up for his first game. Added to the fact that Dingwall is a difficult place to go, a point was a decent return, in my opinion. Perhaps if we had been more adventurous, we may have came away with another two points but I'm not going to turn my nose up at a draw away to County.

How anyone can say Rowson is not up to it/not fit enough etc is ridiculous, he's the fittest guy in the squad & still got good pace for his age. If you were too look at him & Cairney, you would think it was Cairney who was 34! Robertson is still as fit as ever too, his performance at Queens was excellent. As for Grehan, he did well at St. Johnstone & Queens, didn't make it to Cowdenbeath, but think he should be given a run of games. I presume after his hat-trick tonight he'll start on Saturday, he should anyway.

McNamara & Donnelly are still ok to play the odd game, McNamara was impressive at the start of the season. Think a lack of games (& training) has hampered them both recently.

Jesus, let's keep signing the same old duds and keep hoping we avoid relegation every year. So what if Rowson is fit and has pace? More often than not he does nothing for us, I would say. McNamara and Donnelly might be able to play a bit, but they offer us nothing that younger players who are just as fit are likely to do. These guys are basically finished, and should be retired asap.

There.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Ahh the old thing that Rowson does nothing eh? Well tell you what being able to tackle and track back is a good attribute to have as a defensive midfielder, true his passing isn't great but jeezo Jaggernaut watch the next time Paddy or Paton make a run up the wing and have a look to see who covers, true sometimes leaving the middle exposed but he tracks back more than anyone in our squad.

Swap that with Hodge, who i think is actually a decent player, Hodge can pick a pass but can't tackle a fish supperr, Cairney well he should be able to do all that but somewhere along the line he went AWOL and sent his crap cousin. Then you have Flannigan and Erskine, who do not have a defensive bone in their body.

The youngsters maybe a little bit more defensive minded, well some of them, but if you HONSTLY think that we would be any higher without Rowson then you sir, are sadly mistaken, we would be in an even worse position if it wasn't for him.

Remember last time he left us? Yeah we didn't know what he done til he left and we had Stevie Fulton and Willie Howie in midfield

Jesus, let's keep signing the same old duds and keep hoping we avoid relegation every year. So what if Rowson is fit and has pace? More often than not he does nothing for us, I would say. McNamara and Donnelly might be able to play a bit, but they offer us nothing that younger players who are just as fit are likely to do. These guys are basically finished, and should be retired asap.

There.

I really despair of people who cannot see what Rowson brings to our team.

He often does the work of 2 in the middle of the park. If you want someone to point the finger at, I would suggest Paul Cairney is a good place to start.

There.

You're picking on Rowson for his age, the fact that he is 33/34 is irrelevant as he is still one of the best & fittest players we have! McNamara & Donnelly are far more finished that Rowson, who I would say on current evidence has a good 2 years left in him at this level. If we're going to have a younger squad/midfield next season, we're going to need an experienced head in there & I see no better player in this division, on our budget, than Rowson. (In fact, budget doesn't matter, I still wouldn't have anyone else over him who plays his role).

Football is all about opinions, but I think it's safe to say your views would be in the minority at this point.

I'd hate to see where we'd be in the league without Rowson.

Exactly! He really does 'cover every blade of grass'. & not the way Darren Brady did, he actually contributes & is a good footballer.

Edited by 1 John Lambie

There.

In the last few games that I attended, which are admittedly very sparse, Rowson acted as a box-to-box midfielder, working hard as a defensive midfielder putting in good challenges, and when in possession he got forward faster than everyone else supplementing the attack very well, one good example would be the last game I was at, a 0-0 against Raith on Boxing Day where he was pulled down with a one-on-one with the keeper. He made several surges forward that day and with better strikers (we had Donnelly and Erskine up front that day) we'd have seen some goals.

Ahh the old thing that Rowson does nothing eh? Well tell you what being able to tackle and track back is a good attribute to have as a defensive midfielder, true his passing isn't great but jeezo Jaggernaut watch the next time Paddy or Paton make a run up the wing and have a look to see who covers, true sometimes leaving the middle exposed but he tracks back more than anyone in our squad.

Swap that with Hodge, who i think is actually a decent player, Hodge can pick a pass but can't tackle a fish supperr, Cairney well he should be able to do all that but somewhere along the line he went AWOL and sent his crap cousin. Then you have Flannigan and Erskine, who do not have a defensive bone in their body.

The youngsters maybe a little bit more defensive minded, well some of them, but if you HONSTLY think that we would be any higher without Rowson then you sir, are sadly mistaken, we would be in an even worse position if it wasn't for him.

Remember last time he left us? Yeah we didn't know what he done til he left and we had Stevie Fulton and Willie Howie in midfield

I concede!

I really despair of people who cannot see what Rowson brings to our team.

He often does the work of 2 in the middle of the park. If you want someone to point the finger at, I would suggest Paul Cairney is a good place to start.

In fact the finger should be getting pointed towards the manager. He's the one who signs the players and then keeps playing them in spite of our inability to mount any serious challenge for promotion season after season, or to win more than the occasional (very occasional) away game season after season.

In fact the finger should be getting pointed towards the manager. He's the one who signs the players and then keeps playing them in spite of our inability to mount any serious challenge for promotion season after season, or to win more than the occasional (very occasional) away game season after season.

His hands are tied a lot due to budget though. He can only help the players so much, Rowson is a great example of a player who looks after himself off the pitch, he is a credit to himself with his fitness.

Contrast that with Cairney who we are led to believe has 'lifestyle issues' with regard to how he conducts himself off the pitch. Sadly, McCall cannot be held responsible for how a player lives his life away from the club.

I think that the Manager and the players deserve enoumous credit for the defensive performance of the team lately. Other than the QoS away game with an 18 year old in goal, we have hardly conceded a goal that wasn't a penalty for months. And given the standard of the last 2 'penalties' against us, they would have meant we would be another 4 points to the good than we currently are. You could argue that should be 6 given the manner of QoS snatching a draw against us.

I think that the Manager and the players deserve enoumous credit for the defensive performance of the team lately. Other than the QoS away game with an 18 year old in goal, we have hardly conceded a goal that wasn't a penalty for months. And given the standard of the last 2 'penalties' against us, they would have meant we would be another 4 points to the good than we currently are. You could argue that should be 6 given the manner of QoS snatching a draw against us.

Yes, the defence has been pretty much rock solid of late. That at least bodes well for the future, along with the continued promise of some of the youngsters.