Team Vs Falkirk

twinny

Just seen that Erskine amongst others look like doubts for tonight.

Partick Thistle's two-goal hero in their 3-2 win over Falkirk at the weekend, winger Chris Erskine, is a doubt for the re-match between the sides after picking up a hamstring injury against the Bairns. Youngster Jamie Campbell picked up a similar problem in Saturday's game and he is classed as a doubt. Simon Donnelly's back injury has improved and he could come into consideration although Paul Paton, Bryan Hodge, Iain Flannigan and Ryan MacBeth will all miss out.

Falkirk manager Stephen Pressley is likely to make chances with Mehdi Khalis expected to drop out after an uncomfortable 45 minutes at the weekend with Tam Scobbie in line to return from injury to play with centre back Brian McLean still banned.

Looks like we're really struggling in midfield, with Campbell, Flannigan, Erskine, MacBeth and Hodge all missing. Looks like we'll have to play a three man midfield including Cairney and Donnelly, unless McNamara can slot into midfield. Our only fit youngsters appear to be defenders, so it might not be easy to give them much of a game, as if it's close McCall won't want them having their confidence destroyed by being at fault in a defeat. In saying that, they'll be disappointed not to get a game at this end of the season with us more or less safe.

For what it is worth, here is the team I would go with:

Fox

Balatoni Kinniburgh Archie

Robertson/McGeough ........................Boyle

Cairney Rowson

Donnelly

Doolan Grehan

Subs: Scully, Robertson/McGeough, McNamara, Fraser, Stewart.

I'd be tempted to not include Robertson at all if McGeough started, though I'm being quite presumptious in my assumption that he [McGeough] is a right back, is he?

Fox

Cairney Rowson

Donnelly

Doolan Grehan

Given our injury list, I'm surprised our team looks as strong as it does. I'd be happy with that tonight.

This isn't one im expecting us to win, with the state of the pitch, but we should be able to give them a game anyway.

Fcuk Utd vs. Chelsea - get out and support the Jags tonight!

:ptfc:

Just seen that Erskine amongst others look like doubts for tonight.

Looks like we're really struggling in midfield, with Campbell, Flannigan, Erskine, MacBeth and Hodge all missing. Looks like we'll have to play a three man midfield including Cairney and Donnelly, unless McNamara can slot into midfield. Our only fit youngsters appear to be defenders, so it might not be easy to give them much of a game, as if it's close McCall won't want them having their confidence destroyed by being at fault in a defeat. In saying that, they'll be disappointed not to get a game at this end of the season with us more or less safe.

Fox

Cairney Rowson

Donnelly

Doolan Grehan

I'd be tempted to not include Robertson at all if McGeough started, though I'm being quite presumptious in my assumption that he [McGeough] is a right back, is he?

McGeough is a right back but McCall said he thought his future might be in right midfield. The Glaswegian have Robbo out injured. Willie K was fine as an orthodox right back on Saturday so McCall could try out McGeough in a wide right position. In any case Cairney might be better deployed in centre mid. He was woefully short of pace at Falkirk but altho' he said he tired his stamina didn't look too bad.

Assuming neither Erskine or Campbell are risked we're maybe forced into a 3-5-2, which would be a pity we've looked better 4-4-2 against this lot.

Is Stewart available tonight? :unsure:

The formation on Saturday appeared to be 4-4-2 on occasions & 3-5-2 on occasions, maybe we interchanged as the game went on, but it didn't look to be am orthodox 4-4-2. Cairney appeared to be playing on the left with Erskine roaming ahead of Rowson in an AM position.

Given that I have no idea what formation we'll play, as it wasn't the usual players in the usual positions on Saturday, I'll just list the players & not even try to guess the formation.

Fox

Kinniburgh

Balatoni

Archibald

Boyle

McGeough

Rowson

Cairney

Erskine

Grehan

Doolan

Subs:

Scully

McNamara

Stewart

McGrotty

Fraser

It looks like a clear 4-4-2, depending if everyone above is available, but going on Saturday it wasn't clear. Campbell out injured, looks like McNamara will start, I wouldn't though.

Edited by 1 John Lambie

As much as I love Sid and value what he has brought to the team over the past few years, I would prefer to see one of the younger guys getting a chance from now on. Going on recent performances, I think both he and Jackie are pretty close to the end.

It's maybe a blessing that Erskine is doubtful for tonight because he would have inevitably had a nightmare. Hopefully Campbell can make it as he played well on Saturday and deserves to keep his place.

Would quite like to see McGrotty at some point tonight; heard good things about him. So long as he's available, I would expect Stewart to be on the bench but, to be honest, it's a bit unfair to ask him to show us what he can do on a tottie field like ours.

Doolan dropped back into midfield when Fraser came on at Falkirk and did reasonably well, albeit in a short period. Perhaps that could be an option tonight since we're light on left sided midfielders with Hodge, Flannigan (I know he's right footed but can play left) and possibly Erskine out. I'd start with Fraser and Grehan up front with Dools playing wide left.

Bit late in the day I suppose, but is there the option of recalling Bannigan? I know he is in a competitive team and that but if we need a midfielder then Id rather it was him. Plus he will be in the team next season so it would be good for him to get a few games with us before the end of the season. Him, Fraser, Campbell and MacBeth (if fit) in the same starting 11 before the end of the season would be a very satisfying sight.

Bit late in the day I suppose, but is there the option of recalling Bannigan? I know he is in a competitive team and that but if we need a midfielder then Id rather it was him. Plus he will be in the team next season so it would be good for him to get a few games with us before the end of the season. Him, Fraser, Campbell and MacBeth (if fit) in the same starting 11 before the end of the season would be a very satisfying sight.

I feel that would be unfair on Bannigan and in any case counterproductive. He's playing competitive football at least till Ayr secure a play off place and then again hopefully he'd play a part in what could be four play-off games. That experience alone should mean at the start of the season we'll have a player far more mature than his age.

I feel that would be unfair on Bannigan and in any case counterproductive. He's playing competitive football at least till Ayr secure a play off place and then again hopefully he'd play a part in what could be four play-off games. That experience alone should mean at the start of the season we'll have a player far more mature than his age.

Was just thinking out loud really. He's been out of Ayr United's team for a while (until recently) so might get more 1st team experience at a higher level if he was recalled, but I see your point.

Is your number 11 related to brown shoes?, that can be only possible reason he gets in a first division team, worst player I've seen this season

That's Higganbotham. On his day, he can cause an absolute riot in opposition defences. Sadly he's only done that a handfull of times this season.

Is your number 11 related to brown shoes?, that can be only possible reason he gets in a first division team, worst player I've seen this season

Didn't think he had a bad second half. I've noticed the guy sees so much of the ball in a game even when he seems in a half hearted mood. Thought his inclusion in the 2nd half on Saturday was part of the reason Falkirk got on top for a good chunk of the 45 minutes.

We were well beaten by Falkirk last night, for one main reason: attitude.

There was really only one team that seriously looked as it they wanted to win. Falkirk won the vast majority of 50-50 balls, and almost everything in the air. Sure, a lot of their challenges looked like fouls, but the bottom line is that they won them.

So, attitude.

And pace. When they attacked they were fast, and the ball went forward. Their first goal was a brammer that resulted from a fast series of passes. We looked like clodhoppers in comparision, with every move grinding to a halt as whoever had the ball turned back and either waited for support to arrive (which it did, but only alongside more Falkirk defenders), or passed it backwards.

So, attitude and lack of pace.

And tactics. I felt sorry for Greehan and Doolan being surrounded by at least five Falkirk players everytime they were near the ball, with our midfielders casually trotting upfield from their own half. The substitutions weren't associated with any change it approach that I could see, other than shambolic failures even to decide who was going for the ball, who is was being passed to, or even where the ball was on some occasions. The final 20 minutes were some of the worst footballing moments that I can remember from Thistle, and that's no exaggeration.

If only Erskine's excellent attempt had crept under the bar in the first half......

PS: Boyle looked back to his old form last night; not very impressive at all.

I don't think there was much conviction last night. Almost had the feel of a reserve game at times. Cairney & Boyle trotting up in no hurry to take corners when we were two down Three centre halves even after McNamara went off. Only late in the game did Willie K break ranks with Balatoni & Archie and move forward. Doolan again dropping to midfield, where he gave away the ball that led to the 2nd goal.

The only plus I could take from the game was it gave Stewart a run out. Not going to comment on his showing as he needs at least three games off the bench and maybe a start or two before it would be fair to judge him. The quicker that's done the sooner McCall can make make a decision. So that was about the only value to last night. :(

We were well beaten by Falkirk last night, for one main reason: attitude.

There was really only one team that seriously looked as it they wanted to win. Falkirk won the vast majority of 50-50 balls, and almost everything in the air. Sure, a lot of their challenges looked like fouls, but the bottom line is that they won them.

So, attitude.

And pace. When they attacked they were fast, and the ball went forward. Their first goal was a brammer that resulted from a fast series of passes. We looked like clodhoppers in comparision, with every move grinding to a halt as whoever had the ball turned back and either waited for support to arrive (which it did, but only alongside more Falkirk defenders), or passed it backwards.

So, attitude and lack of pace.

And tactics. I felt sorry for Greehan and Doolan being surrounded by at least five Falkirk players everytime they were near the ball, with our midfielders casually trotting upfield from their own half. The substitutions weren't associated with any change it approach that I could see, other than shambolic failures even to decide who was going for the ball, who is was being passed to, or even where the ball was on some occasions. The final 20 minutes were some of the worst footballing moments that I can remember from Thistle, and that's no exaggeration.

If only Erskine's excellent attempt had crept under the bar in the first half......

PS: Boyle looked back to his old form last night; not very impressive at all.

Until Chris Erskine went off I thought their was only going to be one team to win it - us. We had the better attitude and chances should have been a couple up by the time Erskine went off.

Almost as soon as he went off the game for me changed, Falkirk then had the better attitude and the team who wanted to win as we turned into a complete car crash. However no way for the first half and until Erskine went off did they look the team that was going to win or have the better attitude. What was most disappointing was the way we completely lost it and allowed them into the game like that.

I thought we were decent in the first half. Erskine, Grehan and Doolan's movement was really good. We're didn't create any good chances though. Erskine was extremely unlucky with his shot.

Second half was really poor. For the first goal we were chasing shadows and the second goal was just comical. Defenders trying to pas their way out of defence and we gifted them the goal. It was a really good header though.

We just collapsed after that. There was no shape in midfield and no one showing any desire whatsoever to help out the strikers who were fed long punts all night.

There is a big injury list at present but yet again its the simple stuff we make look like the hardest thing in the world.

Doolan was really good I thought. Worked his socks off, his first touch is excellent and held the ball up well. It's vital we keep him next season.

I assume it has been decided the last night’s rubbish didn’t deserve a thread of it’s own?

In fairness I thought we were pretty good first half, had we gone in up by a goal or two nobody could have complained.

Second half we were absolutely rotten, a shambles at the back which we never normally are. Numbers 6 and 9 were really good for them, looked a class above most of the players in this league, I assume they are leftovers from their SPL days?

The ref was also mince last night, the vast majority of the balls they won in the air were won by committing fouls.

I assume it has been decided the last night’s rubbish didn’t deserve a thread of it’s own?

In fairness I thought we were pretty good first half, had we gone in up by a goal or two nobody could have complained.

Second half we were absolutely rotten, a shambles at the back which we never normally are. Numbers 6 and 9 were really good for them, looked a class above most of the players in this league, I assume they are leftovers from their SPL days?

The ref was also mince last night, the vast majority of the balls they won in the air were won by committing fouls.

6 is young Blair Alston. As far as I know, that was his first start for us. Number 9 is Carl Finnigan who has been with us for a few years. Doesn't score many goals, but works very hard.