Herald Story...

Firhillista

McCall's resignation seems to have genuinely surprised everyone at Firhill; MacNamara is in pole position for the job, although the post will be advertised in the next few weeks and an appointment made, following consultation with people "who know football better" than the directors, well before the start of the new season; another few signings for next season "will be announced shortly".

My link

Not trying to over-read into this, but Beattie's words " He said it was purely for private and personal reasons that he has had to resign from his position" convey a slightly different slant to the earlier "for professional and personal reasons". This would appear, at least, to rule out suggestions that he's either got another club lined up or that he bailed out for salary-related reasons.

Not trying to over-read into this, but Beattie's words " He said it was purely for private and personal reasons that he has had to resign from his position" convey a slightly different slant to the earlier "for professional and personal reasons". This would appear, at least, to rule out suggestions that he's either got another club lined up or that he bailed out for salary-related reasons.

Trying also not to read too much into this but I find the suddenness of his departure, if it's not for another job, strange. Worth repeating that the ET (online) were not tipped off about his departure. I find that strange given the relationship we have with them. It's all relative I know but they carry 5 or 6 times a week mostly routine pieces but miss out on the first major bit of hard Jags news for ages. They won't even get the chance to do a piece on this till Monday.

All this and above suggests the reasons for his leaving could well be more to do with personal stuff.

For someone interested in politics, I thought you mike be more inclined to read this as follows:=

Private - "I'm not telling you as we'll look like chumps"

Personal - "He thinks I'm a chump and I'm definitely not letting you know that!"

Classic spin - not providing the information the interviewer is after and sending you off down another route without actually telling a straight porky

Then again it might mean exactly what you suggest <_<

Edited by Allan Heron

For someone interested in politics, I thought you mike be more inclined to read this as follows:=

Private - "I'm not telling you as we'll look like chumps"

Personal - "He thinks I'm a chump and I'm definitely not letting you know that!"

Classic spin - not providing the information the interviewer is after and sending you off down another route without actually telling a straight porky

Then again it might mean exactly what you suggest <_<

:D Every possibility, Allan.

McCall's "non-denial" to the Record suggests that he is going to Falkirk

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/sfl/2011/04/16/ian-mccall-keeps-tight-lipped-over-falkirk-link-after-leaving-partick-thistle-86908-23065118/

"I'm not saying yes and I'm not saying no."

If there was nothing in it, he would just have said no.

"I'm not saying yes and I'm not saying no. I'm saying nothing at all on the subject."

I'd suggest that the final sentence says everything that there is to say!

Because they can play McCall less than they pay Pressley whilst still giving the former a raise?

Yes. McCall's resignation means that Falkirk don't have to pay us compensation. It also means that they have more money to pay off Elvis.

"I'm not saying yes and I'm not saying no. I'm saying nothing at all on the subject."

I'd suggest that the final sentence says everything that there is to say!

All McCall had to say was something along the lines of "there is no vacancy at Falkirk and I refuse to comment on speculation." Instead, he chose to be coy, made a non-denial comment and has increased that speculation. If I was Pressley, I would be very angry and tell McCall to shut his big mouth.

Yes. McCall's resignation means that Falkirk don't have to pay us compensation. It also means that they have more money to pay off Elvis.

Bet you Pressley was over the moon on hearing the news yesterday. Nothing like adding a bit of pressure on him for their game today and add a little interest to the last instalment of us v's Falkirk on Tuesday.

On our own position, it's interesting to hear we will be announcing some more signings in near future. Whatever our views are on McCall and why he left, he has certainly left us in quite a strong position on the field. Arguably the best position we have been in for some time. Up to the players to put the events of yesterday behind them and show they are right behind the new management team and the club.

MON THE JAGS

All McCall had to say was something along the lines of "there is no vacancy at Falkirk and I refuse to comment on speculation." Instead, he chose to be coy, made a non-denial comment and has increased that speculation. If I was Pressley, I would be very angry and tell McCall to shut his big mouth.

I don't think you're suggestion is any more or less a "non-denial" than what has been attributed to McCall.

Whatever answer is given then becomes part of the story whether the question is based on reality or not. McCall's only option to do this would have been to do a Mourinho and then his silence would be interpreted in just the same way.

Isn't Pressley's contract up at the end of this season? They're hardly going to have to pay him much and since it might be tough for a new manager to make much of an impact in the few weeks left, they might just stay with him and let him go at the end of his contract.

Edited by Mr Bunny

On our own position, it's interesting to hear we will be announcing some more signings in near future. Whatever our views are on McCall and why he left, he has certainly left us in quite a strong position on the field. Arguably the best position we have been in for some time. Up to the players to put the events of yesterday behind them and show they are right behind the new management team and the club.

I think the best thing McCall has done for us is completely revamp our youth policy and we can see the results of that starting to come through now with 4-5 young players who we'd be happy to see in the squad.

I know some don't give him credit for this ... and of course he leaves the youth coaching mainly to Cameron, Donnelly, etc. ... BUT managers (especially in smaller clubs like our own) have a big say in how much of the available resources go in to finding and bringing on young players. McCall may not have been greatly involved in the day-to-day work but he set it up, picked the people to run it and has given some lads a chance in the big team.

We've had long periods in the past when our youth policy was a joke or non-existent. We now have the potential to have a very good youth system, provided resources for it are ring-fenced (one of the things the board must insist on is a manager who is pro-youth policy) and that if we sell on any of the youngsters for decent cash, some of it goes back to the youth system to make it even better.

Wasn't McCall's contract up in the summer anyway?

If that's the case any compensation would be negligible anyway and about as much as the club is saving by not paying him a wage until the summer.

IIRC he had just signed a 3yr contract when Dundee tried to get him, that was the beginning of last season wasn't it? So he still had a year left after this season....I think :thinking: