Views From A Proper Thistle Manager

jagfox

There is not a manager alive that has tasted as much success in the Scottish Football League as John Lambie.

Lambie, 70, was a first division league winner with Hamilton Accies in the 1985-86 season and then again in 1987-88. He also went on to win the championship with Partick Thistle in 2001-02 .

On top these three first division titles, he triumphed by leading Partick Thistle to the second division 2000-01 title and won promotion to the old premier league with the Glasgow club in his second of three managerial spells at Firhill in the early 1990s.

Now, as Raith Rovers and Dunfermline head into a two horse race for the title, Lambie is adamant that team spirit and the will to win are the deciding factors which will determine who comes out on top.

And while the former Douglas Park and Firhill boss isn’t overly impressed with this season’s football on offer, he knows the key to success.

He said: “The most important thing is that you have got to have a strong bond with your players. Don’t get me wrong, a few skilful players help, but you’ve got to have to be able to have a laugh with them.

“I had one or two head-bangers during my various spells at Firhill, but I got no trouble from them. I had Chic Charnely, Don McVicar (who sadly died of Motor Neuron Disease, aged only 43) and Roddy Grant. Christ, and I even signed big Martin Hardie...for £1000. No wonder they call him mental – he is!

“But when Martin Hardie puts on the jersey on he gives you everything he’s got and you can’t beat that.

“Martin is the type of player you need to win the first division.

“He is still a good player. I still fancy Dunfermline to win the league. I’ve seen them even more than I’ve seen my own club (Partick Thistle) this season.

“But a lot of the games are so bad it’s unbelievable. It’s meant to be entertainment in the first division but Christ – it would send you to sleep sometimes.”

Lambie reckons there are no great shakes on this season’s SFL First Division shortlist for First DivisionPlayer of theYear, which includes John Baird (Raith), Andy Kirk (Dunfermline) Gary Harkins and Sean Higgins (both of Dundee).

He said: “I couldn’t pick out any real individual for player of the year. I think Gary Harkins has bags of talent but he’s a bandit. He wouldn’t make my top list of players.”

Lambie admitted that Ian McCall’s departure from Firhill makes him concerned for the future of Partick Thistle, or ‘his club’ as he affectionately calls them.

“Ian did a good job at Thistle, I watched them against Dunfermline a couple of weeks ago and I can tell you that they are a very hard team to break down and tough team to beat.

“But the pitch at home is terrible, it’s like Portobello Sands, and that doesn’t suit the style Thistle like to play. “

He might be a 'never-say-never' man, but The Maryhill Messiah is highly unlikely to be taking charge again of first team matters at Firhill.

“I think I’ve had enough. In a different capacity maybe, but if you go into something you want to do it well and I just don’t see the right materials there.

“If I was going back into the job I’d want promotion. That would be my number one aim. But I think the club are a wee bit short financially for that.

“I just hope I live to see Partick Thistle back in the Scottish Premier League again.”

Hey, if Craig Brown can do it at that age there's no reason why Lambie can't.

Gie us a couple of seasons Johnny. We need you!

;)

How many times are we going to call JL back? Don't see it this time so I'm not even considering it seriously. I'm pretty sure the great man doesn't need it either.

I refuse to get a facebook. Bloody idiots i've not seen since i was at school tryin to contact me. If i wanted to see them i still would! we didnt like each other at school so what makes things different now we're 25? I had a bebo but kept gettin friend requests off of prostitutes. sorry for ranting, don't know where that came fornm

It's sad that some of your classmates had to go down that route to make a living...

Agreed...I know of 3 fans that would be back the minute Lambini came back. Personally I love the guy and as long as he thought he could handle it health wise, I would welcome him back although it would probably mean the end of the emphasis on any youth policy

Agreed...I know of 3 fans that would be back the minute Lambini came back. Personally I love the guy and as long as he thought he could handle it health wise, I would welcome him back although it would probably mean the end of the emphasis on any youth policy

Not deliberately trying to be confrontational but when do you draw the line and call those 3 fans 3 ex-fans? If I said I'm not returning to Firhill till the Board make an apology to Davie McParland for the way they treated him does that make me after 39 years still a Jags fan or an ex Jags fan?

I know if we did better on the field more fans will return. I also know that if we won Div 1 next season, the SPL the following and were playing in the Champions League two years hence there would still be Jags fans declaring their allegiance but still not having paid a penny at the turnstiles.

Again with apologies to Lindau and his three fans but outwith the ugly sisters pro rata we must have the greatest non attending support of any Scottish club.

Not deliberately trying to be confrontational but when do you draw the line and call those 3 fans 3 ex-fans? If I said I'm not returning to Firhill till the Board make an apology to Davie McParland for the way they treated him does that make me after 39 years still a Jags fan or an ex Jags fan?

I know if we did better on the field more fans will return. I also know that if we won Div 1 next season, the SPL the following and were playing in the Champions League two years hence there would still be Jags fans declaring their allegiance but still not having paid a penny at the turnstiles.

Again with apologies to Lindau and his three fans but outwith the ugly sisters pro rata we must have the greatest non attending support of any Scottish club.

Sadly, I think that's probably true. I know several Thistle "fans" that didn't even bother attending the Scottish Cup semi a few years back, and who don't even go to Firhill for any "crunch" matches.

And what's really sad is that a couple of them live no more than a stone's throw from the stadium.

No problems M'lady. You are right, they are ex fans, but they are ex fans that were season ticket holders and went to 80% of away games. Became sickened during the Dickie era and the Cowan/Hughes shambles. Me and two others still go to every home game but we have just about given up on away games, unless its a vital one. These guys aint kids and followed the club since the early 70s. Its sad, but thats the way football is going nowadays. I used to remember getting very little sleep the night before a match...its now a struggle, even for me to get my arse up to Firhill every 2nd week. Cant think of ANY game this season that I have thought..I am really looking forward to this game...and that sums up the malaise that is Scottish football