Messi's Goal Tonight

stillresigned

Lionel Messi's goal tonight was far and away one of the greatest goals I've ever seen. I have to admit that I'm glad Barc wiped the smile of that arrogant pr*ck Mourinho's face. In addition it only goes to show that quality football such as played by Barcelona will 99% of the time, win over negative anti-football; which no doubt egged on by the media would have a rennaissance if Madrid had won.

To some extent im happy. yes i severely deteste real madrid. however i wanted man united to beat them in the final.

its gonna be interesting to see what happens this time around. man utd could potentially win

Almost certainly a Barca v Man U final. Both teams became European champions there for the first time. They're now 3-3, I think? Barca might pass them off the park but Man U can be dangerous and can't be written off. Could be a cracker, but I also remember many let down finals. One of the worst was Red Star Belgrade v Marseilles, but it's not the only one.

Here's hoping this time though.

I was so looking forward to that game tonight and was bitterly disappointed by the amount of diving, cheating and feigning injury. So many classy players showing no class whatsoever.

I agree with you Willjag.

Most disappointed at the Barca players chasing the ref and pointing out the guilty party and wanting him booked.

I was so looking forward to that game tonight and was bitterly disappointed by the amount of diving, cheating and feigning injury. So many classy players showing no class whatsoever.

Yeah, I've got to say that that totally detracted from the result. Unfortunately, cheating has become almost de rigeur in the modern game. A start might be for referees actually to apply the laws of the game as they are written, not as they are misinterpreted by various media "personalities". I'm totally fed up listening to comments about "contact" etc., don't really remember that in the rules. If you were to watch a game from thirty years ago and compare fouls, bookings, etc., I'm sure you would notice a hell of a difference(unless of course it was Rangers who've been getting dodgy penalties etc. as long as I can remember).

Yeah, I've got to say that that totally detracted from the result. Unfortunately, cheating has become almost de rigeur in the modern game. A start might be for referees actually to apply the laws of the game as they are written, not as they are misinterpreted by various media "personalities". I'm totally fed up listening to comments about "contact" etc., don't really remember that in the rules. If you were to watch a game from thirty years ago and compare fouls, bookings, etc., I'm sure you would notice a hell of a difference(unless of course it was Rangers who've been getting dodgy penalties etc. as long as I can remember).

What really annoys me is this: I often think a foul has/hasn't been committed in real time but on Tv replay I see I was mistaken. But so many of these diddy commentators refuse to admit their initial mistake and come out with stuff like "he went down when he felt a slight contact". Some often make excuses for what is just plain cheating.

The thing with Messi is he scores goals as good as that almost every week, that probably wouldn't be in his top 10!

I know everyone likes to be nostalgic about football but Messi must surely be the best player of all time. I only started really watching football in 1989 so Maradona was at the cusp of, or just beginning to descend from, his peak in the game. Messi is better. None of the 'great players' between then and now, Zidane, Real Ronaldo, Bergkamp, Baggio, Ronaldhino, etc are even close.

Anyone of you old timers remember Pele? Be honest, is Messi better? I'd be amazed if anyone disagrees.

So really we must be choosing between Pele, Maradona and Messi. Messi must win.

The thing with Messi is he scores goals as good as that almost every week, that probably wouldn't be in his top 10!

I know everyone likes to be nostalgic about football but Messi must surely be the best player of all time. I only started really watching football in 1989 so Maradona was at the cusp of, or just beginning to descend from, his peak in the game. Messi is better. None of the 'great players' between then and now, Zidane, Real Ronaldo, Bergkamp, Baggio, Ronaldhino, etc are even close.

Anyone of you old timers remember Pele? Be honest, is Messi better? I'd be amazed if anyone disagrees.

Surprised to see Darren Brady omitted from your list.

ahh sir .. that is a question that cannot be answered as half of these players play diffrent positions and have diffrent styles.

heres something you might want to know about messi though, he finds playing so much more difficult if xavi and iniesta arent there

think of the world cup, he failed to score.

Difficult comparison really, Messi gets much more protection than players like Cryuff or Pele did. From the footage I've seen in the sixties and seventies (especially away from home), you could hoof players like Messi into the stand. That's exactly what Portugal did to Pele at the 66 world cup.

It's always difficult to select a player if you've only seen them once or twice.

I saw Pele at Hampden in the year between 1965 and 1967 and Maradona also at Hampden in '79. Pele was kicked the whole match by Bremner and clearly wasn't going to risk injury. Maradona was excellent but he was allowed to play.

Messi, Zidane and Ronaldhino are much more ref protected than the likes of Maradona, Pele and Cruyff ever were.

Excluding any player I haven't seen play more than twice the best footballer I've ever seen was Kevin Beattie (Ipswich & England) followed probably by Jim Baxter.

The thing tho' with Messi last night that made his second goal so good was the rest of his team were playing out the game and had settled for a one goal win. Messi isn't like that.

Messi might well eclipse El Diego eventually but if winning titles area a measure of greatness, Messi still has a few league titles and a world cup winners medal to add to his collection before he does.

Also, many Brasilians hold Garrincha to be as good as, if not better than Pele.

Was happy to see Barca win last night but , like others have said, the diving and cheating really ruined what could have been a great game.

Alvez and busquets are two of the worst at feining injury on the planet. They are very good players but they cheat constantly. Would hope Barca would take action against them and try to get them to clean up their act. May be the charges from uefa will do that...more than likely not.

some of jose after match comments were appauling. I'd argue all but one of the red cards his team have received against barca were correct. The one that motta received last year being the exception. Has jose's teams never dived ? His Porto team was one of the worst.

Pepe is a thug. He got all he deserved last night. His team in last couple of Barca games has gone out to kick them off the park. Ramos took messi out the game last night. A clear booking.

Talking bout Messi, clearly he is best in world just now. Most debate is it him or Ronaldo....on last nights showing, ronaldo couldn't lace messi's boots.

Just hope the next game both teams just get on with playing the game and cut out all the crap.

All is down to the referee. If he sticks to the roles it is his duty to enforce them even if it results in sending off 6 ,7 8 or 9 players resulting in having the game abandoned. Bugger the supporters who have paid to watch theses overpaid employees who don't abide gy the rules of this glorious game. Refrees have it all in their power.

All is down to the referee. If he sticks to the roles it is his duty to enforce them even if it results in sending off 6 ,7 8 or 9 players resulting in having the game abandoned. Bugger the supporters who have paid to watch theses overpaid employees who don't abide gy the rules of this glorious game. Refrees have it all in their power.

At which point the ref will be sent death threats (see Chelsea vs Barca? a few seasons ago) and all sorts of rubbish meaning he has to quit a job which he presumably loves.

mate its a rivalry, its gonna happen,

as much as i like barcelon i was disappointed with it, but think of the passion which is involved in that game.

back to the topic at hand

how you could come to an answer as to who was a better player, messi, maradona or pele. you have to also take into regards their opponents, who were they playing, the kind of defenders & keepers they came up against.

ill be honest im only 22, so i cant really comment on wether or not pele or maradona or messi is best but i could bet one thing, messi looks up to maradona & maradona would have looked up to pele.

Edited by phoenix1876

One point is that Maradona took an unfancied team (Napoli) to two league titles and a pretty poor Argentina to a final (where they lost).

Messi operates in a team of stars at Barcelona - and a pretty good team when he plays for Argentina too.

Would Messi or Pele have done the same? Certainly Brazil won a world cup in 62 without Pele (Garrincha was the star then) but when he was kicked out of the 66 competition Garrincha was past it.

We'll never know though - unless Messi decides to join PTFC and take us all the way to a Champions League final.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Slight hijack here, but did anybody else watch the Bobby Charlton programme last night.

What a legend, and what goals!

Total respect.

Funnily enough I didn't know it was on just flicking channells and managed to catch the best part of it. Very good programme and Bobby Charlton as ever comes across as a decent normal guy.

Puts the England team into perspective, I would say: no matter how much it pains me to say so the English side that won the World Cup was a tremendous team. Althought the exception might be England having such a good side, rather than an average one now.

As for players its almost impossible to compare player of differing generations, although I'd always agree that no matter the era a good player from the 1920's would still be a good player today, if you had a handy tardis that is.

The best players I've ever seen live remain Maradona and Jimmy Johnstone, neither of home I'm afraid will endear me to Rangers fans.

As to the best Thistle player, well I don't know if he was the best but Donald Park was my favourite player as a boy , so I guess I'll stick with Parky.

Edited by stillresigned

England had some very good players but so did other teams and they did have home advantage. However every team that wins a world cup needs at least one attacking/creative player who is world class and Bobby Charlton was that player for England - I've always said that.

You could argue that England had other world class players but for me they would only be Gordon Banks and Bobby Moore and I think that was shown in the 1970 world cup when Charlton was taken off (to save him for later) when 2-0 up and then ended up losing 2-3.

That said England would have had some team if Duncan Edwards had survived the Munich disaster as well. Charlton is described as modest but I think a better description is "not a braggart or a big-head" as I think he was well aware that he was a top class player. I've seen Edwards discussed elsewhere and it would seem Charlton was being honest, not modest, when he described him as a better player than himself. From all accounts England would have had two world class players in midfield if he'd survived.

Edited: stillresigned, Jimmy Johnstone was rated by Pele no less back in the day.

Dalglish, Sounness and co were very good players but I think they were short of real world class. Scotland way back in the day didn't have as many genuinely world class players as we liked to think (I believe now) but we seemed to have an endless supply of very good players. Thing is when we were warned we'd have to chnage or this would dry up, we did nothing.

Donald Park was a favourite of mine too. I loved the fact that he could play both as a fairly skillful wee winger but could also perform as a tough midfielder. He also hated losing and let his team mates know it if they were slipping.

Alsways thought he might have made a good manager for us if he ever came back. What's he doing these days?

Edited by Mr Bunny