Mcmenamin...

Vom Itorium

I see that Colin McMenamin will be leaving Queens. We should be putting every penny raised from the Fun Day towards trying to secure him for as I reckon him and Doolan would be a formidable partnership next season.

Falkirk have also started their clearout with Brian McLean, Burton O'Brien, Robert Olijnek, Carl Finnigan and few others being released.

Edited by Vom Itorium

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does McMenamin still have it? Didn't impress in any of the games against us this season. We'd be better going for Willie McLaren.

Carl Finnigan would score goals I think, but a bit of a tit & no doubt out with our budget.

Checked stats, Mcmenamin has scored 11 goals in 36 games this season (30 starts), also picking up 9 bookings, which is quite a lot for a striker. & 8 goals last season in 40 games (27 starts). 30 years of age.

David Weatherston is a player who has always done well against us, scores some goals & has alot of pace.

Edited by 1 John Lambie

Next season we'll have Grehan, Burns, Doolan, Fraser, & Stewart (maybe) with McGrotty thereabouts. We shouldn't be short of competition for frontline places (Erskine can also play upfront). I don't think the manager (whoever he is) would turn his nose up at the chance of an experienced striker but I'd imagine it would necessitate one or maybe two of the younger players going out on loan.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Next season we'll have Grehan, Burns, Doolan, Fraser, & Stewart (maybe) with McGrotty thereabouts. We shouldn't be short of competition for frontline places (Erskine can also play upfront). I don't think the manager (whoever he is) would turn his nose up at the chance of an experienced striker but I'd imagine it would necessitate one or maybe two of the younger players going out on loan.

Sorry, disagree. Whilst all the players mentioned CAN play up front are any of them natural strikers? I include Doolan in this despite his goals because I always saw him as someone more comfortable in a support role. Of the rest most of them seem to prefer coming in from the wings and this apparently includes Taylor. I know that there are different views on Erskine but would anyone seriously be comfortable with actualy depending on him for goals?

A fit McMenamin would score regularly in this league and given the presumption that next year`s competition will be of the poorest quality ever because of different factors then that might be enough to allow some sort of serious challenge which might in turn kick start a rise in attendances.

Last point, I know we`re skint but when there are as many players out there looking for clubs as appears to be the case then our relative bargaining position is very strong. Look at Mcmenamin. A good striker at this level forced out of his last two clubs because of money worries. How hard will he be to deal with?

Sorry, disagree. Whilst all the players mentioned CAN play up front are any of them natural strikers? I include Doolan in this despite his goals because I always saw him as someone more comfortable in a support role. Of the rest most of them seem to prefer coming in from the wings and this apparently includes Taylor. I know that there are different views on Erskine but would anyone seriously be comfortable with actualy depending on him for goals?

A fit McMenamin would score regularly in this league and given the presumption that next year`s competition will be of the poorest quality ever because of different factors then that might be enough to allow some sort of serious challenge which might in turn kick start a rise in attendances.

Last point, I know we`re skint but when there are as many players out there looking for clubs as appears to be the case then our relative bargaining position is very strong. Look at Mcmenamin. A good striker at this level forced out of his last two clubs because of money worries. How hard will he be to deal with?

That is exactly my views on him and I reckon he'd be a perfect foil for Doolan. We can't rely on what we've got up front if we are planning a challenge next season. A spell like this season where we couldn't hit a barn door will see the end of any challenge.

More information here - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13242007.stm

Rankin and Nish are the only names that I recognise. Nish would be a better signing for us than McMenamin. Rankin could be a worth a look too.

These guys will be earning £1500+ per week and will be looking to stay as close to that as possible. They are out of our league...

I see that Colin McMenamin will be leaving Queens. We should be putting every penny raised from the Fun Day towards trying to secure him for as I reckon him and Doolan would be a formidable partnership next season.

Falkirk have also started their clearout with Brian McLean, Burton O'Brien, Robert Olijnek, Carl Finnigan and few others being released.

McLean and Finnigan are the best of that bunch.

That is exactly my views on him and I reckon he'd be a perfect foil for Doolan. We can't rely on what we've got up front if we are planning a challenge next season. A spell like this season where we couldn't hit a barn door will see the end of any challenge.

Quite a few Dunfermline fans reckon they will not be keeping Pat Clarke, he too would be the perfect foil for Doolan and doesnt seem to be as injury prone as McMenamin though agree that Collin would also be a very good signing.

I would be interested to see how Buchanan got on in the SPL but if Deunfermline were to release him would anyone like to see him back at Firhill on much lower wages?

Quite a few Dunfermline fans reckon they will not be keeping Pat Clarke, he too would be the perfect foil for Doolan and doesnt seem to be as injury prone as McMenamin though agree that Collin would also be a very good signing.

I would be interested to see how Buchanan got on in the SPL but if Deunfermline were to release him would anyone like to see him back at Firhill on much lower wages?

Actualy thought of this as soon as Dunfermline confirmed promotion. Given the way in which Clark has been marginalised I think it highly unlikely he`ll figure pretty highly in their SPL team lines for next season. I`d prefer McMenamin but the priority has to be the best striker we can attract. Despite some surprisingly good performances in terms of goals we simply cannot start next season with our current list of forwards if we are in any way serious about mounting a challenge. I honestly think the current squad with the addition of a bit of quality in the No9 jersey are more than capable of making that challenge.

I think we will probably sign Tommy Stewart so don’t think we will have the funds to go for another striker. McMenamin or Clark would be really good signing for us though.

I would like to see Jackie go for experienced players for next year.

The thing about Stewart is that he looks easily capable of netting a few goals from midfield as well.

If Dunfermline were not to sign Andy Kirk and no other team snapped him up then he should be our priority but I cant see Kirk not having a club who can pay far more than we could next season.

If we had the money to mount a serious promotion push, the players released by Inverness would be ideal - Munro, McBain and Duncan. Yes, they are getting on a bit but all three know what it takes to win this league. I'm not suggesting that they are realistic targets on our budget as it seems we will be persevering with younger players but I feel sure if a certain Mr Lambie was in charge, these three would be pretty high on his list, as would a few of Dunfermline's frees.

But would he? Going on the last 2 seasons his return has been poor.

I don't think you are disagreeing, HJ. All I was saying was we have a fair quota of front players already signed for next season and one or two would have to go out on loan if we bring in an experienced striker.

As for McMenamin I don't believe he's a spent force. I wouldn't know whether he's the ideal partner for Doolan or not (rather think he could be) but I'm fairly sure he'd chip in with a good few goals regardless. If he formed a useful double act with Doolan all the better.

Expanding on HJ,s last couple of sentences, with SFL wages being forced downwards players will be looking for local clubs to cut down on travel costs, which are obviously higher these days. McMenamin is I believe a local lad.

If we had the money to mount a serious promotion push, the players released by Inverness would be ideal - Munro, McBain and Duncan. Yes, they are getting on a bit but all three know what it takes to win this league. I'm not suggesting that they are realistic targets on our budget as it seems we will be persevering with younger players but I feel sure if a certain Mr Lambie was in charge, these three would be pretty high on his list, as would a few of Dunfermline's frees.

This. Thought we should go for them as soon as I saw they were getting released. Im all for promoting youth but only when brought through beside experience.

Was Finnegan playing number 7 last time we played Falkirk and does he have dyed blonde hair? If so he was pretty good and even better he gave me the fingers after we gave him stick down the front of the stand, that makes him a good guy in my book!

With everyone seemingly cutting their budgets I reckon we have a good chance of getting in a decent striker at this level. We are pretty useful at the back already, plenty of options in midfield so a 15-20 goal man would be ideal.

Wouldn't a McMenimen or Nish work well through the middle of a 4-3-3 with Doolan and The Bridge on either side.

As an aside, I'd love it if McNamara has us playing a 4-3-3 next season, if he is willing to do that I'm happy for him to get the job.

These guys will be earning £1500+ per week and will be looking to stay as close to that as possible. They are out of our league...

They will not get anywhere near that money in this financial climate. If they are lucky, they might get reasonable offers from clubs in lower English leagues. However, those clubs will have plenty of players to choose from.

McGrotty has just turned 17. Shaun Fraser is 18 in June. Both are very good prospects but not a regular first-team players. Burns is 19 but, after missing most of this season, remains unproven. That leaves Doolan and Grehan who is not a regular goal scorer. If we are to challenge for promotion, we need at least one proven goalscorer at this level.

I have to say that I am more worried about our defence for next season than our attack. We have plenty of numbers up front, including one of the leagues leading scorers, but at the back, we have Archie, Wullie and Paul. I don't think that any of the youth team are ready to join the first team in defence and I doubt that Jackie will be a regular starter. We need a left back and a central defender minimum before we start looking at the front. Weatherston might be a good buy as he can play at the back as well as up front.

As for the 4-3-3, it is exciting, but it hasn't been getting us the results. I know that we have injuries, but 1 win and 1 draw in 4 games along with 6 goals conceded is not promotion challenging form.

I have to say that I am more worried about our defence for next season than our attack. We have plenty of numbers up front, including one of the leagues leading scorers, but at the back, we have Archie, Wullie and Paul. I don't think that any of the youth team are ready to join the first team in defence and I doubt that Jackie will be a regular starter. We need a left back and a central defender minimum before we start looking at the front. Weatherston might be a good buy as he can play at the back as well as up front.

As for the 4-3-3, it is exciting, but it hasn't been getting us the results. I know that we have injuries, but 1 win and 1 draw in 4 games along with 6 goals conceded is not promotion challenging form.

Gulp. Now you've got me worried!

I am not sure 4-3-3 is the way forward with the squad we have. McCall played to our strengths with 3-5-2. Raith have played defensively with two decent strikers to nick a goal. I think going to down that route is the best way forward for us.

If our defence can be as solid as in the second half of the season and we can get a another striker to score next to Doolan and our midfielders can chip in a bit more we will not be too far away.

Was Finnegan playing number 7 last time we played Falkirk and does he have dyed blonde hair? If so he was pretty good and even better he gave me the fingers after we gave him stick down the front of the stand, that makes him a good guy in my book!

With everyone seemingly cutting their budgets I reckon we have a good chance of getting in a decent striker at this level. We are pretty useful at the back already, plenty of options in midfield so a 15-20 goal man would be ideal.

Wouldn't a McMenimen or Nish work well through the middle of a 4-3-3 with Doolan and The Bridge on either side.

As an aside, I'd love it if McNamara has us playing a 4-3-3 next season, if he is willing to do that I'm happy for him to get the job.

Finnegan is their no9 and a diving,cheating B??????d with dark hair.He scored against us at Firhill after coming on as a sub with a header recently