Denis Mcquade Article

Jaggernaut

one of the nicest (and, it goes without saying, one of the most amusing) men i ever interviewed...

I swear, that at Kilbowie, in a friendly (they were Division 2 and we were Division 1) I once saw Denis dribble past at least 6 or 7 Clydebank players around the edge of the area, and found himself through on the keeper, totally in the clear. The goalie seemed mesmerised. All Denis had to do was put it either side of him. He didn't even dive, or move, and Denis fluffed it tamely right into his arms.

That's a true story. Maybe it was more than 7 that he beat. In fact it still has me beat and I remember it like it was yesterday. I think it ended 1-1 but that didn't matter. That's my abiding memory of Denis McQuade, along with Jackie Campbell my all time Jags fave.

I swear, that at Kilbowie, in a friendly (they were Division 2 and we were Division 1) I once saw Denis dribble past at least 6 or 7 Clydebank players around the edge of the area, and found himself through on the keeper, totally in the clear. The goalie seemed mesmerised. All Denis had to do was put it either side of him. He didn't even dive, or move, and Denis fluffed it tamely right into his arms.

That's a true story. Maybe it was more than 7 that he beat. In fact it still has me beat and I remember it like it was yesterday. I think it ended 1-1 but that didn't matter. That's my abiding memory of Denis McQuade, along with Jackie Campbell my all time Jags fave.

My main memory of McQuade is of him running down the wing (without the ball, we were breaking out of defence) and a ball hit to him - meant to be over his head for him to run onto - was falling short. He's looking back, sees this just as a defender is coming to mark him, catches the ball on his heel and without breaking stride, brings it down and flicks it past the defender leaving him for dead, runs down the wing unopposed ... and then trips over the ball.

Another memory is I think the first time he played against us after moving to Hearts and he does one of his trade mark mazy dribbles leaving our defenders bamboozled -- and then completely fluffs the shot at goal. For once Thistle fans were cheering at this typical piece Denis McQuade tragi-comedy.

Anyone remember these incidents or did I dream them?

Like many who were around then I'll never forget the 8-3 game at home to Motherwell. It is utterly amazing that Denis only scored two in that game. The drizzle made for a surreal game and meant that for every time Denis beat 4 or 5 players (which was numerous) he also fell on his bahooky. IIRC he made some of the of the other goals but should've got at least a double hat-trick for himself. Although we scored six in just over twenty second half minutes, I remember shouting myself hoarse with frustration at the amount of nailed on chances we missed. Denis that day was, well, just Denis. Pure Thistle.

For any of the younger posters on here the easiest way to describe Denis is to think of Erskine and multiple the good and the bad by three.

I did in fact ask Denis around autumn 09 what he thought of the then current crop of players and he said he saw a lot of himself in Mr Erskine.

The buzz of excitement and anticipation of something entertaining when Erskine gets the ball is one of the best aspects of Thistle games these days.

My main memory of McQuade is of him running down the wing (without the ball, we were breaking out of defence) and a ball hit to him - meant to be over his head for him to run onto - was falling short. He's looking back, sees this just as a defender is coming to mark him, catches the ball on his heel and without breaking stride, brings it down and flicks it past the defender leaving him for dead, runs down the wing unopposed ... and then trips over the ball.

Another memory is I think the first time he played against us after moving to Hearts and he does one of his trade mark mazy dribbles leaving our defenders bamboozled -- and then completely fluffs the shot at goal. For once Thistle fans were cheering at this typical piece Denis McQuade tragi-comedy.

Anyone remember these incidents or did I dream them?

Before I read your post I had a vague memory of Denis tripping over a ball, but I thought it may have been a imaginative charactature of him developing from the mists of time, so thanks for confriming that my memory wasn't playing tricks on me.

I support Partick Thistle because religion is not involved and because of Denis McQuade.

Everything said here about Denis McQuade, no matter how improbable it may sound to younger fans, is true.

I have been lucky enough to see many scottish greats (Dalglish, Law, Johnstone Eddie Gray etc), but on his day Dennis was just unplayable and more than their equal.

I support Partick Thistle because religion is not involved and because of Denis McQuade.

Everything said here about Denis McQuade, no matter how improbable it may sound to younger fans, is true.

I have been lucky enough to see many scottish greats (Dalglish, Law, Johnstone Eddie Gray etc), but on his day Dennis was just unplayable and more than their equal.

I never saw this one myself but somebody once told me a story of how, on a very windy day, he hit a shot so badly that it blew back to him, and then he volleyed it into the top corner. Sounds imposible, but with Denis anything was possible. Can anybody verify this story?

I had a look on youtube and probably the only film of him in in the 71 final, and the Danny Kellachan at Parkhead film, though neither show any of his magic. Not that his Hampden goal wasn't magic in it's own way.

My memory of this genius is Bertie Aulds first season against Clyde at Firhill in the old style League Cup. I was in the shed (JH Stand to you young uns)he picked up the ball in our half and started up the left wing, which was at the shed side in that half,he proceeded to beat 5 or 6 Clyde players (I think he went back and beat the right back twice!!)then got to the edge of the box and slammed the ball into Evan Williams bottom left hand corner. The shed erupted and typical Denis just meandered back to the half way line as if nothing had happened.Classic goal from a pure genius.

Lasting memory of Sir Dennis was at a Celtic vs Thistle match at the home of the great unwashed. The game was finely balanced at 1-1 (Bobby Murdoch had just scored Celtic's 3000th goal - or something like that), Dennis beats two defenders, rounds the goalie, who I think was calle Evans, then with the empty goal fell over the ball and the keeper recovered to save. At the time my Dad said,get used to it son, this is Thistle all over!

My memory of this genius is Bertie Aulds first season against Clyde at Firhill in the old style League Cup. I was in the shed (JH Stand to you young uns)he picked up the ball in our half and started up the left wing, which was at the shed side in that half,he proceeded to beat 5 or 6 Clyde players (I think he went back and beat the right back twice!!)then got to the edge of the box and slammed the ball into Evan Williams bottom left hand corner. The shed erupted and typical Denis just meandered back to the half way line as if nothing had happened.Classic goal from a pure genius.

one of my favourite goals of all time!!! :thumbsup2:

ps I think it was still in McParland's day, probably 72 or 73 but maybe I'm wrong???

Edited by jaggy