Division One Transfers

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Former Thistle target and ex Airdrie player Scott Mcglauchlan has signed for Ayr United.

No I thought he would be a good signing course I could have been completely wrong certainly wouldnt be the first time. However it certainly seemed rightly or wrongly that McCall wanted to sign him, are we really so bad now that we cant compete with Ayr United.

The fact we cant seem to afford to sign Halliwell for saturday indictes to me that it is that bad.

Time for a Meet the board evening or at least a statement from them confirming how serious the financial position is of the club.

Former Thistle target and ex Airdrie player Scott Mcglauchlan has signed for Ayr United.

No I thought he would be a good signing course I could have been completely wrong certainly wouldnt be the first time. However it certainly seemed rightly or wrongly that McCall wanted to sign him, are we really so bad now that we cant compete with Ayr United.

The fact we cant seem to afford to sign Halliwell for saturday indictes to me that it is that bad.

Time for a Meet the board evening or at least a statement from them confirming how serious the financial position is of the club.

If we had signed McLauchlin ahead of Halliwell and also Flannigan I'd have been fair shocked.

I've not see a quote anywhere from McCall saying he wanted to sign him, we were linked to him by a newspaper yes, but that's hardly concrete evidence that McCall wanted him & that we've been outbid by Ayr.

Not a Scott McLaughlin fan to be honest, but are we now being outbid by fecking Ayr United?

I very much doubt we have been, but if we were, good, he's pants.

I've not see a quote anywhere from McCall saying he wanted to sign him, we were linked to him by a newspaper yes, but that's hardly concrete evidence that McCall wanted him & that we've been outbid by Ayr.

I very much doubt we have been, but if we were, good, he's pants.

The newspaper links were from the Evening Times and The Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser. The Airdrie forum also had links. I spoke to an Airdrie fan about a month ago who knew Scott and he said that McCall wanted Scott and McLauchlan was very keen to come however there was pretty much no money to bring him(the situation is obviously still the same). Also a Partick Thistle fan who works with some Airdrie fans also told me that he had been told that Scott McLauchlan had been strongly linked with Thistle. While there have been no McCall direct quotes as you say it would appear to me that the indications were that we were after him but ehy I could of course be completely wrong.

While I did want us to sign him and think he could be a good player for us I can see your side of the argument. He could turn out to have been rubbish and lets face it McCall is no stranger to signing rubbish (to be fair neither are most Thistle Managers), also as another poster said the priority must be signing Halliwell.

My point really is I fear that potentially we can now lose out on players to Ayr United and further cements in my mind how close we are to standing at the precipice which was pretty much their anyway with the fact we haven't been able to sign Halliwell.

Thats why I really wish the board would come out and state if things are really this bad, far better we at least knowing that everyone jumping to conclusions and rowing with one another on the forums.

But your right losing our on Scott McLauchlan to Ayr United while in my opinion is a tad worrying its not really any big deal, but potentially not being able to sign Flannagan and more importantly Halliwell would be very very worrying

The newspaper links were from the Evening Times and The Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser. The Airdrie forum also had links. I spoke to an Airdrie fan about a month ago who knew Scott and he said that McCall wanted Scott and McLauchlan was very keen to come however there was pretty much no money to bring him(the situation is obviously still the same). Also a Partick Thistle fan who works with some Airdrie fans also told me that he had been told that Scott McLauchlan had been strongly linked with Thistle. While there have been no McCall direct quotes as you say it would appear to me that the indications were that we were after him but ehy I could of course be completely wrong.

While I did want us to sign him and think he could be a good player for us I can see your side of the argument. He could turn out to have been rubbish and lets face it McCall is no stranger to signing rubbish (to be fair neither are most Thistle Managers), also as another poster said the priority must be signing Halliwell.

My point really is I fear that potentially we can now lose out on players to Ayr United and further cements in my mind how close we are to standing at the precipice which was pretty much their anyway with the fact we haven't been able to sign Halliwell.

Thats why I really wish the board would come out and state if things are really this bad, far better we at least knowing that everyone jumping to conclusions and rowing with one another on the forums.

But your right losing our on Scott McLauchlan to Ayr United while in my opinion is a tad worrying its not really any big deal, but potentially not being able to sign Flannagan and more importantly Halliwell would be very very worrying

Im sorry but i cant understand why people automatically assume we cant compete with Ayr Utd (etc) just because we dont sign a player mccall likes. each manager is given a budget...mccall chooses to spent it how he wishes. mccall has clearly decided flannigan is a better option than mclaughlin because i cant imagine their wage demands are vastly different thats hes gone for the cheap option. Brian Reid has clearly decided that he wants to spend his money on scott mclaughlin & not AN Other. Does that mean he cant compete with Elgin for wages...no...it just means he has chosen to spend his budget differently,

For the record I'd mcuh rather have flannigan than mclaughlin on the basis hes played at a higher level and is still young enough to improve, develop and possibly get us a transfer fee. i doubt mclaughlin would have done that

Incidentally were mckeown and mclaughlin not midfield partners together at airdrie and now at ayr utd...thats not a bad pairing for the second division.

Im sorry but i cant understand why people automatically assume we cant compete with Ayr Utd (etc) just because we dont sign a player mccall likes. each manager is given a budget...mccall chooses to spent it how he wishes. mccall has clearly decided flannigan is a better option than mclaughlin because i cant imagine their wage demands are vastly different thats hes gone for the cheap option. Brian Reid has clearly decided that he wants to spend his money on scott mclaughlin & not AN Other. Does that mean he cant compete with Elgin for wages...no...it just means he has chosen to spend his budget differently,

For the record I'd mcuh rather have flannigan than mclaughlin on the basis hes played at a higher level and is still young enough to improve, develop and possibly get us a transfer fee. i doubt mclaughlin would have done that

Incidentally were mckeown and mclaughlin not midfield partners together at airdrie and now at ayr utd...thats not a bad pairing for the second division.

Me too, and Flannigan can be used as a wide midfielder so a better option than McLaughlin imo. Lets just hope we can sign him.

When did that go through ? Paper states it is being looked at and may go through in next 48 hrs. See you also gave up on Lithgow.

You'll need a few loan deals with Smyth and Greacen as your centre backs.

Actually I think Smyth and McCaffrey will be a decent pairing. The latter's only there for a short loan period, tho'. Wonder where Lithgow will go to now?

When did that go through ? Paper states it is being looked at and may go through in next 48 hrs. See you also gave up on Lithgow.

You'll need a few loan deals with Smyth and Greacen as your centre backs.

We have Smyth, Greacen, McGregor and now McCaffrey in contention for the center back positions. Young Grant Evans on-loan from Hamilton has played there the last two games but is more likely to feature at right-back - where in my opinion he's best.

In other news: our new signing Tarik Bengelloun is banned until October - and nobody knows why. :blink::lol:

Now confirmed. St Johnstone are apparently prepared to send more of their squad out on loan. I'd take any one from the three of Milne, MacDonald and Jackson.

Confirmed where?

It would seem a very strange move as St Johnstone only signed Adams this summer and he's yet to play for them.