Kenny Arthur

Jaggernaut

Sorry, don`t buy it. Never met the guy on a social or professional level but the guy was an average goalkeeper at best. Might be the nicest chap in the world but the fact we`re still discussing him so many years after he left the club suggests to me he had his own little fan club and for reasons which have always escaped me. The fact that someone thinks he might be a club legend (see above) would seem to reinforce this.

I feel as though I`ve kicked a puppy or something given your`re highlighted paragraph

Totally agree vastly overrated keeper who only got near the first team due to dire financial circumstances during the save the jags time and was dropped by every manager he has worked for since .May have been a nice guy but doesn`t change the fact he was and still is an average goalkeeper at best.

Kenny was a really decent guy. Also very hard working. Of course he had bad games and made mistakes that cost us matches.....but he more than made up for it with some very good saves and most notably a number of crucial penalty saves. People are right to state he was dropped by almost every manager he worked under.....but it is also right to say he was then reinstated back into the team by those same managers.

Think it is the penalty saves that Kenny is best remembered for.......Was he not in goal for the shoot out against ICT in the cup, also against Peterhead ?

For me my favourite memory of Kenny is during the season we won the 1st division. We played St Mirren at Firhill, we were battered, think Kenny had kept us in it and it looked like we may get away with day light robbery and get a draw. St Mirren then get a penalty.....Kenny saves it.....the team gain confidence from this and at the death, BMMMH dares to score the only goal of the game. Heading home that night for the first time that season I felt we might just win the damn league.

Yeah Kenny lost his place in the run in......but that night he played a huge part in us winning the league.

For me , he deserves to be held in the highest of regard......he was never our best goalkeeper, but he played a major role in bringing the club out of a very dark place......and all of us who witnessed the back to back championships and the fun of those times should never forget that.

Oh and speaking of fun....kenny wearing a massive foam cowboy hat and foam gloves in the main stand at forfar, celebrating the 2nd division title was a great moment.

Kenny was a really decent guy. Also very hard working. Of course he had bad games and made mistakes that cost us matches.....but he more than made up for it with some very good saves and most notably a number of crucial penalty saves. People are right to state he was dropped by almost every manager he worked under.....but it is also right to say he was then reinstated back into the team by those same managers.

Think it is the penalty saves that Kenny is best remembered for.......Was he not in goal for the shoot out against ICT in the cup, also against Peterhead ?

For me my favourite memory of Kenny is during the season we won the 1st division. We played St Mirren at Firhill, we were battered, think Kenny had kept us in it and it looked like we may get away with day light robbery and get a draw. St Mirren then get a penalty.....Kenny saves it.....the team gain confidence from this and at the death, BMMMH dares to score the only goal of the game. Heading home that night for the first time that season I felt we might just win the damn league.

Yeah Kenny lost his place in the run in......but that night he played a huge part in us winning the league.

For me , he deserves to be held in the highest of regard......he was never our best goalkeeper, but he played a major role in bringing the club out of a very dark place......and all of us who witnessed the back to back championships and the fun of those times should never forget that.

Oh and speaking of fun....kenny wearing a massive foam cowboy hat and foam gloves in the main stand at forfar, celebrating the 2nd division title was a great moment.

Everything here is spot on plus the fact that Kenny gave a toss about the club and the team when a lot of the players didn't.Without his ability to save penalties who knows were the club might be now.KING KENNY

KA's best moment: The St Mirren penalty save mentioned above, or another great save at Somerset early on which we built upon to go and win.

KA's worst moment: Standing like a Pompei statue at Pittordrie, looking for somebody to kick the ball to and allowing an Aberdeen player to run in and nick the ball off him to walk it into the net.

KA's best moment: The St Mirren penalty save mentioned above, or another great save at Somerset early on which we built upon to go and win.

File that next to his save during the Peterhead shoot-out and the two penalties he saved against Caley Thistle.

Now, remind me whether the Aberdeen goal came at such a crucial time.

Thistle fans continue to amaze and frustrate me. Look at Dundee this season. Every player that played a part post-admin will be recognised by their fans as legends for the rest of living memory. We have a guy that came to prominence during the club's darkest hour, who served it admirably for more than ten years - for his critics, I'm sure he didn't sign a ten-year deal at any point - and who played a crucial role in some of our fondest recent moments (few and far between)and yet we have a group of posters queuing up to slate him. It's pathetic.

I have to admit to panicking whenever Kenny was in goal and a cross was coming into the box as he would either miss it, not come for it, or would stare at it as if he had no idea he could use his hands.

But in saying that, when it came to penalty saves I cant think of a keeper I would have rather had in goal.

As for Tuffey, not the best we've ever had but still a good keeper, but the move to Inverness was always going to be a mistake for him, both for club and country.

File that next to his save during the Peterhead shoot-out and the two penalties he saved against Caley Thistle.

Now, remind me whether the Aberdeen goal came at such a crucial time.

Thistle fans continue to amaze and frustrate me. Look at Dundee this season. Every player that played a part post-admin will be recognised by their fans as legends for the rest of living memory. We have a guy that came to prominence during the club's darkest hour, who served it admirably for more than ten years - for his critics, I'm sure he didn't sign a ten-year deal at any point - and who played a crucial role in some of our fondest recent moments (few and far between)and yet we have a group of posters queuing up to slate him. It's pathetic.

DP, Hats off to you for your tenacious defence of KA, but I think you're being a bit dramatic. The worst comment that I remember seeing on here was that he was "average", and he's been getting plenty of recognition for his service and crucial saves. No "slating", as far as I can see.

I think even in this tread there are people with differing opinions about Kenny's goalkeeping skills but the reason so many people still hold him in high regard is a combination of his playing ability (he did win the 2nd & 1st divsions with us) and the way he conducted himself during his time at Firhill. Often he was dropped in favour of other keepers who were not as good as him but you never heard him complain or spit the dummy out, he just got his head down and worked harder.

This sums Kenny up for me.

An excellent pro with exemplary standards both on and off the field. Something which even Barcelona cannot get enough of.

As for HJ, you are of course entitled to your opinion, but a little more objectivity and less cynicism in judging KA's contribution wouldn't go amiss.

That he was invited to train with the National Squad tells its own story.

DP, Hats off to you for your tenacious defence of KA, but I think you're being a bit dramatic. The worst comment that I remember seeing on here was that he was "average", and he's been getting plenty of recognition for his service and crucial saves. No "slating", as far as I can see.

"vastly overrated"

"only got near the first team due to dire financial circumstances"

I'd say that goes beyong calling the guy average. That's two examples from this thread alone, and I've heard similar shit slip from bums mouths in the JH over the years. What we're talking about isn't confined to this thread.

Edited by Dark Passenger

"vastly overrated"

"only got near the first team due to dire financial circumstances"

I'd say that goes beyong calling the guy average. That's two examples from this thread alone, and I've heard similar shit slip from bums mouths in the JH over the years. What we're talking about isn't confined to this thread.

Actually, you're right; those kinds of exaggerated statements do appear OTT.

Kenny Arthur typified everything I want from a Thistle player. Of course he wasn't the best goalkeeper in the world, that's why he was at Thistle for 10 years, but overall I think he was a great keeper for us. He also really cared about the club, as anyone who watched him knows. I remember a game away at Livvy, I think under Collins, when we got battered and deservedly lost 2-0, and it would have been worse except for a string of fantastic saves Kenny made. He was cheered off by the away support, and he responded in kind. He always had time for the fans - yes he was a bit dodgy with crossed balls and made a few howlers, but what did we expect? I only wish we had more players with his attitude.

Kenny Arthur typified everything I want from a Thistle player. Of course he wasn't the best goalkeeper in the world, that's why he was at Thistle for 10 years, but overall I think he was a great keeper for us. He also really cared about the club, as anyone who watched him knows. I remember a game away at Livvy, I think under Collins, when we got battered and deservedly lost 2-0, and it would have been worse except for a string of fantastic saves Kenny made. He was cheered off by the away support, and he responded in kind. He always had time for the fans - yes he was a bit dodgy with crossed balls and made a few howlers, but what did we expect? I only wish we had more players with his attitude.

+1, VP. Well said.

+1, VP. Well said.

+2 :thumbsup2: