Kenny Arthur

Jaggernaut

Could King Kenny be joining the Thistle rejects' squad at Dunfermline?

I don't know how recent this is:

http://www.grimsby.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=199923

But I'd rather have Scott Fox any day!

Name: Kenny Arthur

DOB: 07-12-1978

A bit of simple arithmetic would lead me to believe this article is somewhat out of date :thinking:

Was speaking to a Morton fan last night & he thought Kenny would be joining them.

Allan Moore & Kenny would have crossed paths at Firhill unless im mistaken.

Was it not also Colin Stewart who 'ousted' Kenny at Firhill...only to make an absolute, complete ar$e of it?!

There are a few keepers that make you think that it'll be really tough to score against them even when you get the chance. The fat, toothless H*n Goram was one of them, and it has to be said that more recently Rab Douglas is another (his brilliant saves against us at Dens recently reinforced that view). Would the prospect of Kenny Arthur lining up against Thistle cause the same feeling of trepidation?

Err, nah.

There are a few keepers that make you think that it'll be really tough to score against them even when you get the chance. The fat, toothless H*n Goram was one of them, and it has to be said that more recently Rab Douglas is another (his brilliant saves against us at Dens recently reinforced that view). Would the prospect of Kenny Arthur lining up against Thistle cause the same feeling of trepidation?

Err, nah.

Ex Thistle players do at times seem to do well against us!!!

...but yes if it was a penalty.

No idea what his penalty save record was/is overall but in his last few seasons with us it's hard to imagine it being bettered.

That is true. In fact with KA in goal I used to feel that we had a good chance of coming out of a penalty against us without losing a goal. His handling of crosses also definitely improved in his last couple of seasons with us. A decent enough keeper, but behind Langfield, Tuffey and Fox in terms of all-round ability.

A decent enough keeper, but behind Langfield, Tuffey and Fox in terms of all-round ability.

I can't believe the flack Kenny Arthur continues to take from Thistle fans. Sure, he had his faults, but could you point to the three highlighted in your post and say the didn't/don't, either?

Langfield? Pfffft. Tuffey? Looking very much like a flash in the pan who'll struggle to to fulfil the promise shown during his last two (TWO, ffs) seasons with us. Fox? I'm very confident with him between the sticks, but, on the evidence presented thus far, he can't touch KA when it comes to penalties.

Kenny was a rock of reliability during his time at Firhill. Many tried to assume control of the gloves and all but (arguably) one failed. He's a Thistle legend and deserves to be recognised as such. The revisionism that surrounds his tenure and that applied to his challengers really gets on my wick.

I can't believe the flack Kenny Arthur continues to take from Thistle fans. Sure, he had his faults, but could you point to the three highlighted in your post and say the didn't/don't, either?

Langfield? Pfffft. Tuffey? Looking very much like a flash in the pan who'll struggle to to fulfil the promise shown during his last two (TWO, ffs) seasons with us. Fox? I'm very confident with him between the sticks, but, on the evidence presented thus far, he can't touch KA when it comes to penalties.

Kenny was a rock of reliability during his time at Firhill. Many tried to assume control of the gloves and all but (arguably) one failed. He's a Thistle legend and deserves to be recognised as such. The revisionism that surrounds his tenure and that applied to his challengers really gets on my wick.

great post :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Arthur is a Firhill legend, no doubt about it. And in my posts above I praised his improvement in handling crosses and his penalty-stopping abilities. He was reliable in that he was around for a long time; no other team wanted him to the point where they actually came in and took him. Yes, he managed to hold off several temporary, mediocre replacements who, don't forget, were brought in for the very reason that KA was considered dodgy at times. That's not revisionism; it's the facts. Much the same thing happened to Roughie during his Scotland career. Nobody has said on this thread that other keepers don't have weaknesses. But I maintain that KA is behind the other three that I mentioned in overall ability. That's not flack. Or if it is, then KA's reputation and record should be strong enough for it to bounce off. Rough certainly has nothing to worry about.

Never understood the regard and affection this guy had at Firhill. I was and still am bemused by all this `king kenny` stuff for what was never more than a very average goalkeeper

Why does that not shock me? The reason people hold him in high regard and with affection is more to do with how he conducted himself as a person than his abilities as a goalkeeper (although I always thought he was a very decent keeper). He had time for other people, he was polite and was to use an old fashioned term a gentleman!

I guess we'll just need to agree to differ on that.

as a Jags keeper Langfield was worse than Arthur. The shit goal he cost us against Dundee went a long way towards us getting relagated. Yes he has gone on to better things, but that's irrelevant. Kenny ousted all that was brought in to replace him (apart from Tuffy) for the simple reason that he was a better keeper than most give him credit for

Why does that not shock me? The reason people hold him in high regard and with affection is more to do with how he conducted himself as a person than his abilities as a goalkeeper (although I always thought he was a very decent keeper). He had time for other people, he was polite and was to use an old fashioned term a gentleman!

Sorry, don`t buy it. Never met the guy on a social or professional level but the guy was an average goalkeeper at best. Might be the nicest chap in the world but the fact we`re still discussing him so many years after he left the club suggests to me he had his own little fan club and for reasons which have always escaped me. The fact that someone thinks he might be a club legend (see above) would seem to reinforce this.

I feel as though I`ve kicked a puppy or something given your`re highlighted paragraph

Sorry, don`t buy it. Never met the guy on a social or professional level but the guy was an average goalkeeper at best. Might be the nicest chap in the world but the fact we`re still discussing him so many years after he left the club suggests to me he had his own little fan club and for reasons which have always escaped me. The fact that someone thinks he might be a club legend (see above) would seem to reinforce this.

I feel as though I`ve kicked a puppy or something given your`re highlighted paragraph

I think even in this tread there are people with differing opinions about Kenny's goalkeeping skills but the reason so many people still hold him in high regard is a combination of his playing ability (he did win the 2nd & 1st divsions with us) and the way he conducted himself during his time at Firhill. Often he was dropped in favour of other keepers who were not as good as him but you never heard him complain or spit the dummy out, he just got his head down and worked harder.

Anyway what has happened to the happy go lucky HJ we used to know and love? I much prefered it when you had your old job on the radio: