Chris Erskine And The Season Ahead

AlexForsythFan

One of my hopes for the new season is that Chris Erskine is given an extended run in the first team. Perhaps the departure of Corcoran will facilitate this. Last year I felt he suffered from regular seats on the bench interspersed with occasional first team duties.

I think he has the potential to develop into a Firhill legend [ or more likely provide us with some future transfer income ]. His ability to run at opponents with the ball, excite crowds and bring in the paying punters. I'm sure defenders don't like playing against him. Roll on 2010/2011.

One of my hopes for the season is Chris Erskine is freed before a ball is kicked to be replaced by someone who can cross a ball.

Until he learns to put some end product and composure to the sand dancing, he'll never make it as a professional footballer.

One of my hopes for the season is Chris Erskine is freed before a ball is kicked to be replaced by someone who can cross a ball.

Until he learns to put some end product and composure to the sand dancing, he'll never make it as a professional footballer.

Aiden McGeady has made a decent living out of it for a good few years now.

And why would someone who can cross a ball want to play for Thistle? Hmm? Eh?

I have faith in the Bridge, he has shown some flashes of sheer brilliance and no matter how you look at it he is an entertainer. And its not just him that has no end product, we dont have any wide players who can cross a ball, we dont have any striker who can regularly hit decent shots, we don't have any midfielders who can shoot from range, etc.

One of my hopes for the new season is that Chris Erskine is given an extended run in the first team. Perhaps the departure of Corcoran will facilitate this. Last year I felt he suffered from regular seats on the bench interspersed with occasional first team duties.

I think he has the potential to develop into a Firhill legend [ or more likely provide us with some future transfer income ]. His ability to run at opponents with the ball, excite crowds and bring in the paying punters. I'm sure defenders don't like playing against him. Roll on 2010/2011.

Doesn't look to me like Erskine has anything approaching 90 mins in him. Can start him if you like but, when you need to have a sub in place just for him, it's more than likely that Chris will find his way back onto the bench at kick off.

Without Corcoran we definitely need, or at least could do with, more width in the team. Signing an attacking right sided midfielder would help and maybe then Erskine could hold a place down the left in a 4-4-2. Got a feeling tho' we'll be back to either a 3-5-2 with wingbacks or a narrow makeshift 4-4-2 with central midfielders (Cairney, Hodge, MacBeth) being pushed out a bit. Don't really see where Erskine would fit in other than as an impact player. Hope I'm wrong and he improves as he is indeed the type of player to excite the crowd.

The voice of reason arrives.

I think not!

Some of the better crosses/bits of play this season I saw were made by Erskine... with both feet...

That said some of the worst crosses/bits of play this season have also been rooted firmly at his door, usually immediately after a bit of enigmatic genius.

He makes things unpredictable. Even he doesn't know what he's going to do next. That's what makes a match exciting to watch. I'd rather have a team with its fair share of unpredictables like Erskine than a collection of consistently mediocre journeymen.

The significant word I used in the origonal post was potential. Thistle are not in a financial position to sign perfect players. Hopefully we can identify young players with talent, develop them and both us and the players benefit long term.

Its a matter of opinion. I think Erskine is potentially a star. You don't. Its not easy to get these decisions correct all the time.

As an aside I did see Alan Hansen play his first first team game for Thistle and thought him a carthorse - mistimed tackles etc. I would never have predicted his stellar career. But the manager saw something I didn't !

Uncage the bird! I cannot contemplate doing match reports without him.

It would be fantastic if he could replicate on a more regular basis the incisive run and accurate shot across the keeper (by no means easy) which brought him his goal against a very decent Liverpool defence in the Alan Archibald testimonial.

Come on Chris. We know that you can do it.

I have faith in the Bridge, he has shown some flashes of sheer brilliance and no matter how you look at it he is an entertainer. And its not just him that has no end product, we dont have any wide players who can cross a ball, we dont have any striker who can regularly hit decent shots, we don't have any midfielders who can shoot from range, etc.

You have faith in Kevin McKinley, so you're opinion is not valid on the subject of left-wingers.

You have faith in Kevin McKinley, so you're opinion is not valid on the subject of left-wingers.

:lol:

Let's give the guy a full pre-season and then we can see what progress he's made once the season gets going. Tthen it'll all be water under the bridge.

He makes things unpredictable.

I think thats a good way of putting it. I certainly find him entertaining to watch although I suppose its a question of whether we can afford quirky players with a small squad.

I suppose the only way to decide this issue is to give him an extendend run and see what happens. Don't agree we should get rid of him without giving him a proper chance.

As I said in another forum, there was a big streak of pish who played for us 3 seasons ago, who despite a cracking goal against clyde (free kick if i remember right) most people wanted him gone. Over the summer he bulked out trained hard and was our best player the following season. Yes he drifted in and out of games, but no one could say he didn't have that somthing. I hope/think Chris may end up the same

As I said in another forum, there was a big streak of pish who played for us 3 seasons ago, who despite a cracking goal against clyde (free kick if i remember right) most people wanted him gone. Over the summer he bulked out trained hard and was our best player the following season. Yes he drifted in and out of games, but no one could say he didn't have that somthing. I hope/think Chris may end up the same

?

My memory isn't as good as it used to be.

I think he should be given a run in the team. He's sheer entertainment. One minute you're in awe, the next you're laughing at him. And to the criticism that he has no end product, I'd say he's our best crosser off a ball, not that it's hard, but he does have good technical ability.