Chris Erskine And The Season Ahead

AlexForsythFan

Show me some end product.

We cannot afford passengers. A winger who cannot cross a ball and takes a nosebleed in front of goal is not what we need.

I wanted him to succeed as much as any other Jags fan but sadly, he's not up to the job. A couple of stepovers is not going to disguise that (although it clearly has with some)

I will be absolutely delighted to be proven wrong though....

I'm not sure Gary every required bulking up, did he?

He sertanly lost weight and it was well documented how hard he was training over the summer.

Oh and plenty of folks thought he was pish and should have been punted that summer.....just saying

Tired, bed i need, but just to pick out a few lines from many i agree with about THE BRIDGE:

One of my hopes for the new season is that Chris Erskine is given an extended run in the first team.

I think he has the potential to develop into a Firhill legend [ or more likely provide us with some future transfer income ]. His ability to run at opponents with the ball, excite crowds and bring in the paying punters. I'm sure defenders don't like playing against him.

I'd rather have a team with its fair share of unpredictables like Erskine than a collection of consistently mediocre journeymen.

It would be fantastic if he could replicate on a more regular basis the incisive run and accurate shot across the keeper (by no means easy) which brought him his goal against a very decent Liverpool defence in the Alan Archibald testimonial.

the only way to decide this issue is to give him an extendend run and see what happens. Don't agree we should get rid of him without giving him a proper chance.

However........

One of my hopes for the season is Chris Erskine is freed before a ball is kicked to be replaced by someone who can cross a ball.

Until he learns to put some end product and composure to the sand dancing, he'll never make it as a professional footballer.

Boo. Hiss. Bah Humbug Grant. Hang your head in shame if brave enough you are. For all the reasons above and many more in this thread and others not even mentioned in it, I disagree entirely with your opinion on this thread - wrong in so many ways IMO (but good nonetheless to have differing opinions it is).

May The Jags Be With You.

Boo. Hiss. Bah Humbug Grant. Hang your head in shame if brave enough you are. For all the reasons above and many more in this thread and others not even mentioned in it, I disagree entirely with your opinion on this thread - wrong in so many ways IMO (but good nonetheless to have differing opinions it is).

May The Jags Be With You.

Would be a very boring world if we all constantly agreed.

As I said, I will be absolutely delighted to be proved wrong. I just watch a guy that cannot deliver any end product to the undoubted skill he posesses.

Show me some end product.

We cannot afford passengers. A winger who cannot cross a ball and takes a nosebleed in front of goal is not what we need.

I wanted him to succeed as much as any other Jags fan but sadly, he's not up to the job. A couple of stepovers is not going to disguise that (although it clearly has with some)

I will be absolutely delighted to be proven wrong though....

These would be good arguments except they're not exactly true. Erskine IS inconsistent but he has scored goals and he has shown the ability to put in a decent cross, a clever cut back ... he just doesn't do it consistently enough yet.

But he is young and was playing junior football not long ago, so we should cut him a bit slack for last season (when he didn't feature regularly anyway) and judge him on how well he could improve this next year.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I think it was us bulking him down that improved him as a player.

That's what I thought as well. I'm sure he was a lot leaner his last season with us. Don't think he'd lost any body strength all the same.

btw agree with Grant re not affording any passengers but I do feel Erskine, even if he's still got a lot to prove, is a wee bit above that. At the same time, if only to get bums on seats, I strongly believe that we have to afford at least one (and really should be more) guy with a bit of an entertaining flair.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

These would be good arguments except they're not exactly true. Erskine IS inconsistent but he has scored goals and he has shown the ability to put in a decent cross, a clever cut back ... he just doesn't do it consistently enough yet.

But he is young and was playing junior football not long ago, so we should cut him a bit slack for last season (when he didn't feature regularly anyway) and judge him on how well he could improve this next year.

He's scored ONE goal. Ross Co away and it looked like a cross that sneaked in rather than a decent finish. Look at the easy chances he's missed (Dens park the first time is a good example).

We need someone who can deliver in the final third.

He's scored ONE goal. Ross Co away and it looked like a cross that sneaked in rather than a decent finish. Look at the easy chances he's missed (Dens park the first time is a good example).

We need someone who can deliver in the final third.

He's scored more than one has he not? I'm sure he scored a couple in one game earlier in the season.

I actually think Erskine's main problem is that he's too unselfish. He'll always choose to pass instead of shoot. I don't know if that's down to a lack of confidence, but he should be encouraged to shoot more.

I'd point to a lack of confidence, as opposed to him being unselfish. The end results the same, though - wasted opportunities.

Like Brian Hodge, Doolan and Kinniburgh next season will be make or break for Erskine, stepping up from the Juniors was always going to be a hard act, now he has had his season to settle in, next season will determine whether he makes in the first divison or if it is too big a level for him.

Would be a very boring world if we all constantly agreed.

As I said, I will be absolutely delighted to be proved wrong. I just watch a guy that cannot deliver any end product to the undoubted skill he posesses.

I can think of a good few times this season he has delivered an end product and put it on a plate for another player, only for them to feck it up.

Yes, sometimes he doesnt but i for one think he is an entertaining player.

I actually think Erskine's main problem is that he's too unselfish. He'll always choose to pass instead of shoot. I don't know if that's down to a lack of confidence, but he should be encouraged to shoot more.

My impression in the past season was that he'd been told to pass to other players instead of trying to score himself - in line with the season's pretty but fruitless passing round the goal area. It almost looked as if only Buchanan and Grehan had permission to shoot when a slim chance of scoring appeared. In that case, it would have been natural for Erskine to follow the advice he'd been given, even if we'd prefer to see something different.

Warning - hobby horse: at least one member of coaching staff should always watch games from somewhere other than the dugout, because the view there is too restricted. That's why the fans can see obvious errors during a game, while the coaching staff are oblivious to them.

• 2 years later...

Got to cringe at some of my comments on this thread. At the time, he used to make me tear what little hair I had left out but the difference in him over the last couple of seasons has been incredible. I'm more than delighted that he proved me wrong.

I wish him all the best although I hope he's a standout in an awful side that Thistle pump 4 times in the coming serason...

• Like 1

Was always obvious to me that the guy had talent. Have to say, I think that it's absolutely scandalous he never won any awards on Saturday night at the POTY dance.

Conrad has been great but Erskine's goals and assists have won us this league. Balatoni has been vital in keeping them out and scoring a few, granted. but I honestly don't think that Erskine will be fully appreciated until next season when we realise how much we miss him.

For me, only someone like Harkins could come in and fill the void and even then, he'll never be as mobile as Erskine was.

• Like 2