Police Free Stadium

Read about this in the new sponsor thread but felt it deserved a separate thread.

What will having no police in the stadium on matchdays mean to the club? Will it save a lot of money? Allow the Shed end to be moved near the away fans in front of the control room with the kids zone switched to the opposite end of the JHS? As brought up by Ewan Murray of the Guardian does it mean we can have Friday night football or earlier kick offs as suggested by Beattie in the programme last season since the police objection to Friday football was that they didn't have the resources to police games at that time?

As all the questions suggest I have no clue about what it means other than it sounds like a good thing.

This "police free zone" could be the start of something beautiful. We might actually be able to generate an atmosphere next season without the Strathclyde robots intervening. They treated some of our fans in a way they wouldn't dream of treating Old Firm fans. It will be great to see the back of those cowardly daleks.

I'm really encouraged with the MacB deal as well. A very apt choice for a club like us. Much in the same way Tennents are for the Old Firm.

In an ideal world, we would have the family section at the city end of the Jackie Husband and we would have the "shed" at the away end of the stand. People who want to make a noise, sing songs and dare I say it, use bad language - would be welcome in the shed but not welcome in the family section. There you have two areas for the two opposite types of supporter and you would hope that by moving the "shed" to the end nearest the away fans, this would encourage more singing and banter from both sides. These simple changes would make a massive difference to the match day experience in my opinion.

Changing the seating arrangements has to be something they are looking at (well I hope they are)

Only problem I can see is "the Shed" being beside the directors , will need a fair few stewards for that if things arent going too well IMO

In an ideal world, we would have the family section at the city end of the Jackie Husband and we would have the "shed" at the away end of the stand. People who want to make a noise, sing songs and dare I say it, use bad language - would be welcome in the shed but not welcome in the family section. There you have two areas for the two opposite types of supporter and you would hope that by moving the "shed" to the end nearest the away fans, this would encourage more singing and banter from both sides. These simple changes would make a massive difference to the match day experience in my opinion.

Agree 100% and it is something I've been wanting the club to do for some time.

Does this mean that the stewards can no longer blame the "Match Commander" for keeping the gate at the North end of the Jackie Husband stand closed for at least 10 minutes at the end of each game. Hooray! quicker to the pub.

Changing the "Shed" end to the North end of the Jackie Husband is highly unlikely, in that I guess the directors are expecting so few travelling supporters from other clubs next season that they will be able to accommodate the visiting support there and save opening the North stand at all. Thereby saving more money.

It'll certainly be an interesting exercise in "self-policing" by the fans and stewards of PTFC, and many other clubs and the media will be paying a lot of attention to it. This is actually another "scoop" for the club (like U-16s for free, the pink strips...), so the club should make sure it gets plenty of media coverage.

However, nae polis at or around Firhill.....my advice is leave the car at home on matchdays.

It'll certainly be an interesting exercise in "self-policing" by the fans and stewards of PTFC, and many other clubs and the media will be paying a lot of attention to it. This is actually another "scoop" for the club (like U-16s for free, the pink strips...), so the club should make sure it gets plenty of media coverage.

However, nae polis at or around Firhill.....my advice is leave the car at home on matchdays.

ok if your local, and not in east lothian!!

I posted a couple of months ago that the Saturday game we played up at Falkirk (the one we won 3-2) that there were only 4 polis in & around the ground. Think there'd be a crowd in excess of 3000 that day and in addition Falkirk have traffic issues with exiting directly onto an "A" road. If you take Falkirk as a yardstick it seems reasonable with us having less of a crowd and no in house car parking that we could do without any polis.

Actually quite surprised by this, I would presume that this will save the club an absolute fortune which in itself is great news. It's good to see the UK bring itself in to line with the rest of Europe - I've been to games at places like PSG where there are 30,000 plus fans who are genuinely MENTAL, no police anywhere in the ground.

I just hope that the stewards who are now "in charge" don't let the power go to their heads, we really don't want Firhill to end up like Dens Park.

Do any other clubs in Scotland play their games with no policing? If not;

This is actually another "scoop" for the club (like U-16s for free, the pink strips...), so the club should make sure it gets plenty of media coverage.

That is a very good point and it would be good to try and milk this as much as possible.

One of the reasons the police agreed to this deal is precisely BECAUSE the shed is at the opposite end of the ground from the away fans!

One of the reasons the police agreed to this deal is precisely BECAUSE the shed is at the opposite end of the ground from the away fans!

pretty sure that was the reason we got that in the first place, dont know if its part of the latest deal.

all we need is some idiot to try and cross over (from any team) and that will be that.

There will be police around, but at a much reduced level, which should save the club a fair bit of money. Obviously this means if any fans go OTT a constyooboole can be called to deal with it ... on the other hand we don't want that to happen as it will lead to us going back to the old heavy handed system we had before.

Stewards need to do their job well and fans need to be reasonable too for this to work.

(Remember, for every 'jobsworth' steward you may have seen, haven't you seen a fan who just won't take a 'polite word' to behave?)

Edited by Mr Bunny

There was near enough a full page about Thistle in today's Metro, never seen that before for a 1st Division club. Covered Jaggy and Sid's Ecuador hiking, a few comments about aiming for the top this season, the sponsorship deal and this police thing but seemed to indicate there will still be police on site?

There was near enough a full page about Thistle in today's Metro, never seen that before for a 1st Division club. Covered Jaggy and Sid's Ecuador hiking, a few comments about aiming for the top this season, the sponsorship deal and this police thing but seemed to indicate there will still be police on site?

Like some fungal infections, they're difficult to get rid of entirely.

So according to the Sun there will still be a Match Commander (and a few police) so the stewards can still blame him for the North gate being closed after the game. Maybe this is their solution, detain as many Thistle supporters as long as they can so they can't chase those poor opposition supporters. Basically its still the same, a useless ********* can't trust his men to do their job (keep the peace) treats law abiding citizens like animals and the directors are complicit.