World Cup Draw

Norman

Group A: Croatia, Serbia, Belgium, SCOTLAND, Macedonia, Wales

Without falling into an argument over the Tartan Army, what do we think of Scotland's chances?

If we can keep the team from self-destructing, I reckon we may have a chance.

Group A: Croatia, Serbia, Belgium, SCOTLAND, Macedonia, Wales

Without falling into an argument over the Tartan Army, what do we think of Scotland's chances?

If we can keep the team from self-destructing, I reckon we may have a chance.

I've lost a lot of heart with regards national side over last 3 or so years. I find it hard to get enthusiastic with regards Scotland any more....too many previous managers and players just stopped caring.

Can't see us qualifying from that group......but then i thought jags would win easy today, so what do i know.

Considering previous draws, we cannot complain.

With this one, at least we can go into it feeling we have a chance to get out of it. And no I am not underestimating Croatia & Serbia, but better than Spain and France!

Hopefully we can be in the hunt for a top two place and a chance of getting to Brazil.

I've lost a lot of heart with regards national side over last 3 or so years. I find it hard to get enthusiastic with regards Scotland any more....too many previous managers and players just stopped caring.

Sounds familiar....where have I heard that sentiment before? :thinking:

Not a bad draw but Groups E and G would have been even better

Group E: Norway, Slovenia, Switzerland, Albania, Cyprus, Iceland.

Group G: Greece, Slovakia, Bosnia-H, Lithuania, Latvia, Lichtenstein

If we can pick up some points away from home, we could reach the play-offs.

Wales should not be under-estimated. They have some good young players. The weakness is the manager, Gary Speed, but he may be gone soon.

England look to have a good draw on paper but could struggle with an ageing squad.

Edited by kni

Skopje, Zagreb and Belgrade are all a reasonable drive from Tirana, so I'm well happy with that aspect of the draw.

Don't have a lot of confidence in Avril's ability to set us up for any more than one point away from home, though.

In my view we should be going for a win in every game in this group, home and away.

There must be a lot of concern about Croatia & Serbia in the same group.

The only "political" issue with the draw was that Russia and Georgia were not allowed to be in the same group. As it turned out, the draw kept them apart anyway.

Can't see there being much trouble with Croatia and Serbia. Serbia and Bosnia played in the same group not too long ago (last Euro qualifying perhaps) and that went off with too much hassle. Even if the head of the Bosnian FA, a Serb) said that he wanted Serbia to beat Bosnia.

There really isn't much between any of the teams in our group. The Levein factor, however, could be the difference in our case. This gives us the potential to do very badly. He simply must be removed and replaced by...well, any old journeyman manager to give us some slither of hope.

Levein TF. Not negotiable.

Fed up with the same old European faces coming up time and time again - surely it's time the World Cup qualifiers went global too so how about a group like:

Chile

Scotland

Guatemala

Zambia

Iraq

American Samoa

- would be a damn sight mnore interesting than three more trips to the former Yugoslavia ffs

Can't see there being much trouble with Croatia and Serbia. Serbia and Bosnia played in the same group not too long ago (last Euro qualifying perhaps) and that went off with too much hassle. Even if the head of the Bosnian FA, a Serb) said that he wanted Serbia to beat Bosnia.

I think there is a bit more going on between Croatia and Serbia than Bosnia and Serbia though. I was at the Stoke vs Hajduk Split game last week and the Croatians reacted quite badly to a Stoke fan who produced a Serbian flag. The Split fans were amazing to watch though, with banners, flares and co-ordinated singing/arm waving they created a great atmosphere. They were let down terribly however by Roman salutes throughout the game, so despite my lack of knowledge of the conflicts between former Yugoslav nations, it seems to me there could be trouble.

It was also really funny watching the Stoke fans egging the Hajduk fans on from behind the invisible barrier that is the stewards, I wonder if so many would have done the same outside the ground...

It's a terrible draw. Wales, Macedonia and Belgium are disasterous from the lower pots, and both Serbia and Croatia will be much too good for us. Luca Modric could probably beat us by himself, we'll lose in Skopje, and the team we got from pot 6 have Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey. Anyone who thinks Scotland, especially under a manager as negative as Levein, have a chance of qualifying from this group is deluded. Who was the last decent team we beat in a competitive match? Without Andorra or San Marino, we could finish 5th or worse in this group.