New Signing

Alan Murray

With Paton and Campbell do we need another right back?

Though if he can provide cover in the centre that would be a plus

I suppose replacing Balatoni come January might be necessary but I don't really think the versatility side of things too important. Robertson looks OK in the back row.

Used to hate hearing from the Bunnett, and to a lesser extent McCall, that Mr X is comfortable playing anywhere across the back four. Usually meant they couldn't hold down any position. Somehow when McNamara says the same sort of thing I can believe him. Of all positions I don't think Jackie will make many mistakes signing a right back so O’Donnell should be a good addition to the squad.

Eh...scratching my head a bit here, its not like hes one for the future and has been signed long term, but at the same time we don't really have a problem at right back or with holding midfielders.

O'Donnell has been signed as back-up and competition for Paton. Jamie Campbell is a midfielder who was played as an emergency right-back. I did not think that we had the budget for another right-back. O'Donnell had a trial at Hibs in May but did not get a deal so we have probably got him cheaply. I would guess that Jackie will be monitoring Declan Gallacher's progress at Clyde - only signed a deal until January.

In other words telling Paton to get the finger out and start playing better :)

why?

Junior might see it different but my view is Paton is in a bit of a comfort zone. He'd have to be playing fairly rank to be replaced at right back by either Campbell or Willie K. Paul P is playing alright just now but not as well as I've seen him play. He's improved on the onefootedness slightly more than marginally but it's still a hindrance.

Prior to this signing every other player in the first team squad could be directly replaced apart from Paton. That's now been corrected and so in that regard signing O'Donnell has more than a bit of logic to it.

Like others I kinda question the priority here with regard to McManus. McNamara may be viewing things over a longer timescale whereas others might say that every possible penny should be used in the short term in securing a deal for Tam McM. :unsure:

Have to agree Paton needs competition for right back.When he first signed I thought we would get a season out of him & he would be picked up by an SPL team & if he continued developing had potential for Scotland.He seems to have levelled out & not fulfilled the early potential he showed.not sure if this is due to injury he had last season or just complacency.

Have to agree Paton needs competition for right back.When he first signed I thought we would get a season out of him & he would be picked up by an SPL team & if he continued developing had potential for Scotland.He seems to have levelled out & not fulfilled the early potential he showed.not sure if this is due to injury he had last season or just complacency.

:blink:

Nobody as one footed as Paton can really make it

i disagree with that, i watch a fair bit of of football (TV) and most stick with there preferred foot and have heard some managers (harry being one) who would rather they didn't waste there time trying.

Have to disagree that they shouldn't waste their time trying. It may be that once a player reaches a certain age he'll never be able to use both feet equally well, but it really shouldn't be a problem for any player to improve his use of his weaker foot so that when under pressure he can pass well enough with his weaker foot to still be effective, rather than be forced backwards just because he can't get a pass in with his strong foot.

And also there are times when even if you can't hit a ball as well with your 'weak' foot it's much better to shoot with it anyway because of the angle from goal or because getting it on to your strong foot would take too much time and the chance would be lost. Your chances of scoring - and confidence in being able to take the pot at goal - would be improved if you worked on making your 'weak' foot better.

As someone with little real football ability I made it my business to be fairly two-footed (gave me more positions to play and hence more chance of game-time since I was never going to be a shoe-in for any position) so if someone as useless as me could do it there's no excuse for professional footballers.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Guest fredthecheesecloth

Hope this guy takes Paton's place.

Paton is one of those people who has stagnated so badly at the club, that he really needs to go.

He has one pass, the high loop with the inside of the right boot down the wing (normally out of play). He can't cross particularly well, and which his defending is reasonable, id rather see him gone. Reminds one of Billy Gibson, but without the legendary goal.