Ptfc Rip?

jaf

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having said that, (and to keep to the common theme) I would expect that any member of the Trust Board involved in such communications on a personal basis should disclose to colleagues that this communication has happened. It's a potential conflict of interest, don't you know :rolleyes:

Did the then members of the Trust Board who got emails regarding propco disclose those to the rest of The Trust Board?

This behaviour is nothing new.

I've looked at the site for first time in few days today. Knew the EGM was happening but unable to find out anything as to what happened due to travelling.

Just in from Scotland game today and admittedly half cut but after reading 6 pages of comments I think i've come to the conclusion we're damned if we do and we're damned if we don't!!

Btw, welcome back RM. Need people like yourself and others like DU etc to try take up where you left the trust, albeit probably too late now that they sold out from underneath and sickened the people who genuinely were trying to take the club forward for all the fans rather than personal gain/seat on the board!

Anyway rant over and i'll retire to sleep off jet lag/hangover! All I want is for my team to survive. Simples.

You didn't last long..?

To no-one in particular...

It wasn't my intention to stay long. It shouldn't be anyone else's either. I'm off to sunnier climes in the very near future so there really wasn't any point prolonging it and so only served out a brief period of co-optedness during a period of crises. Some may not thank me for that, but I do think we'd be a lot worse off without any kind of representation. If it doesn't work for you, then try and change it. It seems a lot of people want change but prefer to sit outside the room. I don't know how helpful that is.

However, as has been seen in these recent days, the Club's policy of keeping fans outside the boardroom has hardly helped their own cause. As a few folk have said, including myself, the only way forward for the Club is for all parties to sit down and find a way forward for the Club that also protects shareholders. That is achievable in my opinion through dialogue. It's time for BA and DB to realise that they need to bring people in if they want to progress things. There are plenty of people on this forum who are knowledgeable and eloquent enough to help bring those discussions to satisfactory end, be that with or without the Trust. If the Trust becomes simply the protector of shares then so be it, but personally I think the entire support suffers from the in-fighting and sniping within our own ranks that weakens the 'Supporter's Association'. We are the Supporters. It's our Association. The idea of alternative has been mooted on a few occasions but little has ever come of it, so perhaps The Trust is the only game in town. Whatever the case, I hope everyone who can speak up does, and everyone who should be heard is listened to. We can't ask the BOD and ex-BOD to put their differences behind them unless we all can too and come to together with the one purpose of saving PTFC. Good luck to everyone who tries, I wish you all the best.

I would urge you to read the thread on the Warriors leaving Firhill. Our contract is supposed to run 2014. However, Scotland On Sunday says that plans for Glasgow Warriors to leave Firhill and play their home games at Scotstoun are at an advanced stage.

It is significant that "a partnership between Scottish Rugby Union, Glasgow City Council and Culture and Sport Glasgow" has paid for a new artificial pitch, with International Rugby Board approval, to be laid at Scotstoun - http://www.greenfiel...tstoun-stadium/ GreenFields has been awarded Preferred Turf Producer status by the IRB.

It is possible that the Warriors (or their above partners) have offered us a termination deal but not the full amount. Any deal would have to be approved by the shareholders. Another possibility is that Warriors (and/or their partners) have offered the Board a deal for us to share Scotstoun, e.g. no rent for a few years, in exchange for terminating the contract without compensation. That would enable the board/PropCo to sell and/or develop Firhill. They could settle our debts and pay a dividend to the shareholders. There could be enough money to buy out the main shareholders...

Admittedly, it is possible that everything will carry on as now for three years. However, we should be on our guard and be very wary of any changes to how the club is structured or managed.

Edited by kni

I wouldn't be against a move to Scotstoun. Firhill's a soulless dump these days anyway...

Thats true, but other than some nice modern facilities Scotstoun offers little else. Like Firhill its half a stadium and soulless, and its in a terrible area for pubs and the like. I think the lack of a match day experience there would put people off going out there, its quite out the way unlike the current location.

Thats true, but other than some nice modern facilities Scotstoun offers little else. Like Firhill its half a stadium and soulless, and its in a terrible area for pubs and the like. I think the lack of a match day experience there would put people off going out there, its quite out the way unlike the current location.

Athletics stadiums are terrible for atmosphere. The fans are too far from the pitch. A lot of West Ham fans are against the move to the Olympic stadium.

FIFA has awarded Greenfield preferred producer status too. The PropCo plan could enable Firhill to have a full size rugby pitch (possibly with artificial turf if that's what the Warriors really want) too. I am wondering if PropCo wants the Warriors to go to increase its development area.

It would appear that that SRU has secured taxpayers' money to lay that pitch at Scotstoun. It could have been invested in Firhill so there is a political agenda too.

Athletics stadiums are terrible for atmosphere. The fans are too far from the pitch. A lot of West Ham fans are against the move to the Olympic stadium.

<snip>

I remember Meadowbank Stadium, now that was souless. I wouldn't want a move to Scotstoun, not easily accessible, no real amenities nearby, not exactly inspiring stadium. Even in the short term I think this would lose us enough punters for us to become even less important to Scottish football than we are now.

I remember Meadowbank Stadium, now that was souless. I wouldn't want a move to Scotstoun, not easily accessible, no real amenities nearby, not exactly inspiring stadium. Even in the short term I think this would lose us enough punters for us to become even less important to Scottish football than we are now.

British teams that have played at athletic stadiums have left them, e.g. Brighton, or want to do so - e.g. Rotherham.

Granted, it's not like staggering from the game to the Star but the area has good rail and bus links. God knows, it'd be nice to see a pub in Partick full of Jags fans just the once! :D

Why do you feel that, Steven?

Living down south, I am a bit remote from what is happening and have to rely on the official site and forums such as this to keep up to date with what is going on at Firhill. I have been trying to get my head round what has been going on here.

Some guys we don't like very much wanted to change the club rules to give themselves more power. These guys may have conflicting interest as they have investments in the "propco" project. They were stopped by some guys we like even less who were probably looking after their own interests. The guys that we don't like very much have significant investments in Thistle and there is a fear that they may now ask for their money back, money that we just don't have.

Is that a reasonable summary ?

It would appear that that SRU has secured taxpayers' money to lay that pitch at Scotstoun. It could have been invested in Firhill so there is a political agenda too.

The SRU are responsible for developing the egg chasing game up here and therefore couldn't give 2 hoots about the Jags and any ties to Firhill.

One of their spokespeople on the Pro12 highlights programme last night said it was time Edinburgh and Glasgow realised that they had professional teams and got out to support them (like they do in Leicester and Munster). They don't understand how 60k+ can turn up at Murrayfield for the 6 Nations but Edinburgh are rattling around an empty Murrayfield on Friday nights with only 10k turning out in total for both. If the marketing men can do their jobs right then maybe the attendances will rise as football ones sink.

Scotstoun may be the preferred SRU option for the Warriors but ...

- it only has 5000 fixed seats so they'd need to erect temporary stands or get planning permission for new ones

- they'd need to lay undersoil heating

- the floodlighting isn't up to scratch for televised matched so new floodlights required

- the got >7k at one of the Edinburgh games and recognise Firhill is needed

- the players like Scotstoun as a training base but like Firhill for matches and dare I say it the "atmosphere"

Regrettably a move to Scotstoun for Thistle might seem sensible in the long term as Italian clubs rent facilities from their respective councils so why shouldn't we - it would certainly remove a shedload of overheads on stadium maintenance and free up some cash for better players.

Granted, it's not like staggering from the game to the Star but the area has good rail and bus links. God knows, it'd be nice to see a pub in Partick full of Jags fans just the once! biggrin.gif

Er I'm not sure that you've assessed all of the ramifications..... in three words (cue ghost music & shower scene from Psycho)..... "The Three Craws".

I dont know if Scotstouns the answer but (and it saddens me to say so) it is now time for Firhill to be sold, lock, stock and barrell, get whatever we can for it, purchase a bit of ground and build a 6000 four sided stadium. Dont ask where, how etc...I dont have the answers but Firhill is a total dump, has two usable sides and a 10,000 seater capacity that (on football days) is hardly ever more than a fifth full. Its outlived its time and its time to move on

I dont know if Scotstouns the answer but (and it saddens me to say so) it is now time for Firhill to be sold, lock, stock and barrell, get whatever we can for it, purchase a bit of ground and build a 6000 four sided stadium. Dont ask where, how etc...I dont have the answers but Firhill is a total dump, has two usable sides and a 10,000 seater capacity that (on football days) is hardly ever more than a fifth full. Its outlived its time and its time to move on

With a heavy heart, +1.

Why do you feel that, Steven?

The location, the logistics of travelling there for a lot of fans, the lack of pubs/shops, the inconsistent bus and train services round there...have I not already said this stuff elsewhere?

That could easily lose us another 300/400 fans (maybe even more). So, no home, less fans and depending on the reasons for us moving there we could find ourselves in the third division. All adds up to 'less important'.