Ptfc Rip?

jaf

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have`nt been up there for years and don`t know the existing layout.

Is it possible that we could use the money from the sale of what`s left of Firhill to finish what`s already there and complete a four sided lego stadium with a 6,000 capacity. Surely the existing structures will give us a bit of leeway with planners.

As I said, don`t know what`s currently in place and whether local residents would be best pleased but if this is doable it would surely solve many of our problems and to me, Firhill now cannot be anything other than an ongoing problem to the club.

Have`nt been up there for years and don`t know the existing layout. Is it possible that we could use the money from the sale of what`s left of Firhill to finish what`s already there and complete a four sided lego stadium with a 6,000 capacity. Surely the existing structures will give us a bit of leeway with planners.As I said, don`t know what`s currently in place and whether local residents would be best pleased but if this is doable it would surely solve many of our problems and to me, Firhill now cannot be anything other than an ongoing problem to the club.

Scotstoun would be awful - it has one nice new stand filled with green and blue seats, is 'empty' at each end, has a pishy temporary looking glorified gazebo along the other side and also a running track. It is not a football ground. I cant see how it would result in increased attendances for either the Warriors or us.

Development would be difficult along at least two of the three 'undeveloped sides' as there are alotments and a railway line along the gazebo side, the sports centre and car park at one end and existing all weather pitches at the other end. I dont think development is an option as it would reduce the amount of leisure and parking space currently available, and would need the purchase of the alotment land.

Scotstoun would be awful - it has one nice new stand filled with green and blue seats, is 'empty' at each end, has a pishy temporary looking glorified gazebo along the other side and also a running track. It is not a football ground. I cant see how it would result in increased attendances for either the Warriors or us.

Development would be difficult along at least two of the three 'undeveloped sides' as there are alotments and a railway line along the gazebo side, the sports centre and car park at one end and existing all weather pitches at the other end. I dont think development is an option as it would reduce the amount of leisure and parking space currently available, and would need the purchase of the alotment land.

To be fair, having had a look at it on google maps, I don't think any development could be done behind the goals (without either ripping up the football pitches or a significant part of the car park) due to how far out the running track comes.

Saying that, possibly a small terrace at each end? My main thought is that the atmosphere can't get much worse than it already is, surely?

My preference would be a redeveloped Firhill. I just can't see all that many options for us unfortunately...

To be fair, having had a look at it on google maps, I don't think any development could be done behind the goals (without either ripping up the football pitches or a significant part of the car park) due to how far out the running track comes.

Saying that, possibly a small terrace at each end? My main thought is that the atmosphere can't get much worse than it already is, surely?

My preference would be a redeveloped Firhill. I just can't see all that many options for us unfortunately...

I too would favour this option, I really cant see any selling point of being based at Scotstoun at all. Is their any chance we could build smaller stands instead of the 6000 seater Jackie Husband stand?

This has probably all been gone over multiple times, but is there no chance of a permanent ground share and joint development with Glasgow Warriors at Firhill or elsewhere? Scotstoun is not the answer for either team.

Can't help but feel that the spurned suggestion of moving lock, stock and barrel to a new stadium in Cowlairs Park was a last opportunity to have a full stadium with facilities worthy of the 21st century.

All of the current options seem to have a large element of unwelcome compromise. And whilst property prices will ultimately recover, we might not.

Can't help but feel that the spurned suggestion of moving lock, stock and barrel to a new stadium in Cowlairs Park was a last opportunity to have a full stadium with facilities worthy of the 21st century.

All of the current options seem to have a large element of unwelcome compromise. And whilst property prices will ultimately recover, we might not.

When was this on offer, and how is it not on offer anymore?

When was this on offer, and how is it not on offer anymore?

It was a proposal put together by Martin Dempsey - it's been discussed in more detail here before. Was cold-shouldered by the club. Maybe five years ago now.

From what I saw of it, it all made sense but just needed the emotional wrench of leaving Firhill.

Condtions are way different now, and what stacked up then probably wouldn't make any sense now.

Edited by Allan Heron

Been a mere scared spectator of all things, Bored/Shares/JT related mostly

Back in Standard Grade Economics I remember learning that Shares issued as a "reward" or intended as an act of stewardship, were void when the recipient leaves the direct employment of the Company concerned??

Or does my lack of understanding of the whole saga just mean I should be quiet?

Is`nt there a chance that with all the money being spent on the Commonwealth Games the current running track might be surplus to requirements?

Is`nt there a chance that with all the money being spent on the Commonwealth Games the current running track might be surplus to requirements?

I guess they probably see it as part of the 'legacy' of the games - to encourage athletics.

To be fair, as I said before it isn't a football/rugby stadium, but it is a good athletics venue with pretty modern facilities.

I guess they probably see it as part of the 'legacy' of the games - to encourage athletics.

To be fair, as I said before it isn't a football/rugby stadium, but it is a good athletics venue with pretty modern facilities.

Damn right it is. My daughter uses it twice a week, with Victoria Park Athletics Club, and I'd be really p*ssed off if the track got ripped up for some going nowhere football team. It has more future and purpose than we appear to have just now. Go along Tuesday and Thursday nights (at least) and you'll see it packed with kids and other youngsters running, jumping, and throwing.

I was at Meadowbank more than once and it was a nightmare of a football venue. Scotstoun is much more modern but it would not be any better. Not an option for us, unless it's a desperate stop gap temporary last option. Gawd forbid.

Edited by beep0608

There's been an athletics ground there for quite a long time now with several teams training there, the GB vs USA athletics match used to be held there every year or two and will probably go back there again if it still exists, so I don't see why the council/government (it is council owned, isn't it) would invest heavily in athletics for the games and then rip up the track.

A move to Scotstoun would be terrible for us as it's a dreadful location, however it may be the time to move from Firhill as Lindau said, but I think we missed that boat.