Meet The Board Night

Col

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DB certainly not holding back in ET. Talks of some shareholders running around gathering proxy votes and shareholder votes last time, rather than discussing any concerns with himself. Will be interesting to hear from him tonight.

I wonder if any of the old politburo will be there? :thinking:

Not sure if the printed edition contains more info TO THIS

also this from ET HERE

Obviously things might become clearer in the next hour or so but how in Gods name can our finances be in great shape when

1 Crowds are down

2 We are out of 2 of the 3 cups available to us...so no potential money spinning ties

3 Rumours of possible removal of £100,000 a year due to rugby possibily moving to Scotstoun (I know this aint deffo)

I am baffled!!!

Wish I hadnt had to work till 9 tonight!!

I wonder if any of the old politburo will be there? :thinking:

a couple of current and former jt board members were. one sat with her arms folded all night and the other took lots of notes and played with his ipad. neither spoke or asked any questions. there were no questions asked by the jt, at least they weren't stated as being asked by the jt. shame, you'd have thought it would have been a great opportunity for them, as thistle fans

• Members

Really good turn out and lots of positives coming from the top table. Somebody will have a note of the actual figures, but the current board have turned round a £250K loss in 2009 to show a £40k profit for this year and they mentioned the debt to the bank had dropped from £1.4m to, I think £800k? They reckon they will be ina position to clear the debt by 2016(?)

David Beattie is confident of getting the changes to the M&A passed next time round and the Board blame themselves for not explaining well enough what they were trying to do at the last vote.

Edited by Willjag

Just back from the MTB.

Very good turnout, taking that to be the case as more chairs had to be put out with a good few standing too.

Personally, we need to get behind this board. The time, effort and money they has been put in to help save this club should not be underestimated. It is clear we still have a long way to go and new challenges along the way, however as DB stated their emphasis has been plugging the holes in the ship.

DB made it very clear that we should look forward and was also at pains to point out the previous board all have Thistle interests at heart too. I have to say, without their input, the club would have been in serious trouble.

Lot of questions raised, and answered. I think we are lucky to have guys willing to put in so much time and effort without much in the way of thanks.

It is hoped this may become an annual event and if so, it is certainly worth making the effort to go. Hopefully the board will have been heartened by the numbers attending and in the main the general appreciation of their efforts to-date. Long may they continue.

Obviously things might become clearer in the next hour or so but how in Gods name can our finances be in great shape when

1 Crowds are down

2 We are out of 2 of the 3 cups available to us...so no potential money spinning ties

3 Rumours of possible removal of £100,000 a year due to rugby possibily moving to Scotstoun (I know this aint deffo)

I am baffled!!!

Wish I hadnt had to work till 9 tonight!!

1 - Crowds as they are are JUST allowing us to maintain full time football, Billy Allan, Maxi and David Beattie all made reference to the need to increase crowd levels (even by 500). Also discussed the atmosphere at Firhill and the possibility of moving the 'singing section' closer to the away fans. Police cost were the main reason for this not being implemented.

Maxi spoke about the atmosphere and the effect it can have on the team, against Queens there were people getting on players backs which cause them to retreat within themselves, yet against Ayr and 2-0 up it was party time and the players responded by playing some really good football. In short, a few hundred more fans, and a lot more fans trying to create a good atmosphere, would make a massive difference.

2 - wasn't mentioned, but we have gone from losing over £250k in 2009 to making £46k in 2011. Some streamlining within the club, and steward expenses etc (and I suspect some admin wages) now lie elsewhere. I think elsewhere equates to Europa, and if I wasn't such a fearty Id have asked how much the Club now owe Europa (only the bank debt was discussed in any detail and the balance stands at around £600k...but we'd pay a 6 figure exit fee to pay this off) and if this would ever be used to hold the club to ransom so to speak.

3 - Was discussed but as far as the Club are aware the Warriors are happy with how things stand. They have a lease until 2014 but have some sort of early release thingy, others will be able to explain that better. As it stands, the Warriors are welcome at Firhill and unless we hear differently are going nowhere.

As for the night itself, was well impressed by the turnout...must have been a couple of hundred fans turned up. Although there were not too many searching questions asked in relation to Propco and Europa (which wasn't discussed at all), I have come away from the meeting a lot less suspicious than I was beforehand and feel we have a chairman who when he says "trust me" (and he did a couple of times) I'm inclined to give him that trust.

The key messages that I think we should all take on board are:

1 - forget the past, we are were we are and can't change what went before, time to focus on the future.

2 - Time to start loving our club again and get right behind the young and promising team that we have.

Really good turn out and lots of positives coming from the top table. Somebody will have a note of the actual figures, but the current board have turned round a £250K loss in 2009 to show a £40k profit for this year and they mentioned the debt to the bank had dropped from £1.4m to, I think £800k? They reckon they will be ina position to clear the debt by 2016(?)

David Beattie is confident of getting the changes to the M&A passed next time round and the Board blame themselves for not explaining well enough what they were trying to do at the last vote.

I think the debt to the bank was quoted as £600k, and that includes an overdraft facility of just over £417k (?)...think they DB said we will get the debt figure down to that £417k overdraft facility by 2015. Could be wrong, but there were plenty of people there who can set things straight.

• Members

I think the debt to the bank was quoted as £600k, and that includes an overdraft facility of just over £417k (?)...think they DB said we will get the debt figure down to that £417k overdraft facility by 2015. Could be wrong, but there were plenty of people there who can set things straight.

You could well be right Steven, I wasn't 100 clear on the wording and thought it couldn't possibly have dropped to £600k (which was the sum my memory was telling me!) Hadn't factored in the overdraft facility. But still, a saving of around £350k in 2 years is signifcantly better financial management than we've been used to seeing prior to 2009 from the "best run Club in Scotland" board.

a couple of current and former jt board members were. one sat with her arms folded all night and the other took lots of notes and played with his ipad. neither spoke or asked any questions. there were no questions asked by the jt, at least they weren't stated as being asked by the jt. shame, you'd have thought it would have been a great opportunity for them, as thistle fans

Can we have names... Peden, McHaffie, ex Mrs Peden....or am I wrong???

• Members

The Board considered putting the Club into administration at one point, however, as the SFL don't seem to have any hard and fast rule about Club's going into administration they decided it best not to take the risk.

They also said if the Club went bust, the Bank being the main creditor would have the say on who the round was sold to and the Board's biggest worry was that it wuld be sold to the Warriors. Billy Allan stated that he along with Ian Dodd could not vote on issues relating to the Club and Propco (or Firhill Developments as they like to call it!) as Directors of Partick Thistle as they are not shareholders. As Directors & Shareholders in Propco, they have a say in that.

So they write to all members about the board proposals but when there is an open night, they ask SFA!!

Wonder if they will be so quiet at the JT night in October....doubt it.

So they write to all members about the board proposals but when there is an open night, they ask SFA!!

Wonder if they will be so quiet at the JT night in October....doubt it.

They may well be because there'll most likely be no-one there!!

I was stunned to see an organisation that has so many difficulties with the issues at hand not utter a peep. Or was I? :thinking:

Pleased I went. Thought Lance compered the evening very well. Normally speaking I'm of the opinion of opening up a meeting to the floor without set agenda can be frustrating if questions go off on a tangent about relatively trivial matters. Tonight was an exception and the mix of EGM related questions and non EGM stuff went down very well.

On the rather trivial matter of Friday night football I still fail to understand why we've elected to be out of 32 clubs the guinea pig for this, and then of all games risking what would be potentially our largest Saturday attendance.

I thought it was an informative and well organised event and no questions were ducked by the directors (as they had promised).

Yes, there had to be some diplomacy in answering certain questions, but I for one was very pleased with what I heard. I have supported this board all along and I think tonight will have calmed a lot of people's nerves and removed a lot of doubts.

What one chap pointed out is not always remembered by the fans - the current board stopped the club going to the wall and if were not for them, PTFC may well have gone the same way as Third Lanark. They stepped up to the plate with their money, their time and their business expertise. Whilst we may not be out of the woods just yet, things are certainly a lot better than they were under the previous regime.

As for the JT, quite clear to everyone that they are a complete and utter irrelevance.I would have expected the JT board reps there tonight to ask at least one question on behalf of the JT membership, but none was forthcoming. A new supporters organisation is definitely needed.

Also disappointed not to see the major shareholders there tonight - after all, if they do have Thistle at heart, they should have been there.

All in all, I thought it was a very good night and a lot of good positive stuff.

Even though us Jags fans are uneducated (according to Mr Peden) it seemed that the vast majority were able to understand what was said.

Some good stuff tonight , not a lot of new things but a fair amount of clarification.

Especially liked Ian Maxwell's thoughts on how the playing side is moving with a conscious decision to pick up younger players who have a hunger to improve in the game and to promote from within from our own youth teams. Good joined up thinking on saying to potential new players that 5 from last years u19 went into the first team pool and that should help them attract better players at a younger age and coach them the way they want to.

Pretty remarkable turn around from £250k loss to £46k profit , if that can be sustained then we will get out of the financial mess in a medium term. Also that we break even on around 2500 with anything above that allowing the player budget to be increased. If we are playing good football and more importantly winning then I dont see a reason we cant get bigger crowds than 2500 into Firhill , sounds like even as little as 100 extra people a game will make a decent difference to the budgets.

Loads more that I cant remember but a positive evening, a ton better organised than a lot of the previous efforts for these things.