Just In

thistle4tw

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im glad we don't watch the jags playing against that negative crap every week, also the cynical fouls and time wasting.. even in the 1st half!!

doubt they will win league, having said that probably with the size of there squad you never know.

boring county

poor jags show though

Problem is I dont even think they really needed to do that since we seemed so hopeless.

I like how we play when it works but it really needs the team to give a **** all of the time and they don't. You can't play pretty passing football when the other team keeps close to you and when your own players don't make wee runs. Watch any decent level of football and the midfielders are always on their toes looking for that wee yard to take a pass, the othe one is doing the same thing and get the next ball, etc, etc. Obviously out players are fairly average but Jackie really should pick up on this and get them to keep moving about to free themselves for the pass. The main issue we have is that cause everyone is so static then we end up playing lofted balls. The odd long ball is necessary but when we are essentially floating a chip from 10 yards in our own half to 10 yards into theirs it becomes retarded.

Country looked like a decent outfit but not world beaters. Then again they were away from home and you could also say played the perfect away game. They let us have the ball but at the same time were briefed on what to do in order to stop us doing anything decent with it. And when they had the ball they looked like a decent unit, composed on the ball and with some neat stuff.

At the end of the day County deserved to win, probably a 0-1 scoreline was fair, and lets be honest if we are going to get beat by a single goal at home it might as well be by a ******* worldy. The Ryan Taylor goal on in the boozer before the game was an absolute screamer and theirs was almost as good (the fact Taylor's hit the underside of the bar made it look a bit better). Don't know if County will win the league but they will certainly be there or there abouts.

I take it you missed the game today...

I must admit, that thought crossed my mind as well when I read that. I thought Conrad was probably our MOTM today.

I think the sponsors giving Scully MotM was probably more a process of elimination than a truly deserved accolade. The lad did fine all the same.

Balatoni may have been suspect leading up to their goal but, tho' no great honour given the competition, I thought he was our best player by a distance.

I think the sponsors giving Scully MotM was probably more a process of elimination than a truly deserved accolade. The lad did fine all the same.

Balatoni may have been suspect leading up to their goal but, tho' no great honour given the competition, I thought he was our best player by a distance.

Mam you were clearly paying attention to the game, unlike some others who I can only assume were having trouble with the setting sun to be blind to Balatoni's performance today.

Adams is a good organiser and his team harried fro the edge of our box right down the park not allowing our players to settle on the ball at all. I thought Balatoni had his best game for a long time today. It was invariably him that the Ross attacks failed because of. Archie also won just about every challenge he went for as well.

I thought there were a couple of errors for our goal. I think initially we lost the ball and when it was knocked forward, Hutton was caught on his heels and his man was able to get good position in our half of the field leading to the ball getting knocked forward. We then weren't able to clear the ball properly and when it fell out of the sky, Vigurs had way too much time to control the ball with his chest then pick his spot and gave Scully no chance.

Ithink it's time to give Elliot some bench time and give Stewart a run in the team again. Tommy holds the ball up much better than Christie IMO. I also thought that Chris Erskine looked like he didn't know where he should be playing today and the longer the game went on, you could see his head going more and more down. Looked relieved to be subbed in the end. Very much a confidence player and Ross sapped that out of him very early.

On the whole, I think Ross deserved their win despite their play-acting antics and time wasting. Strong, energetic, well organised and probably the best manager in the league. They wont be far from the top of the table at the end of the season. Best team I've seen so far against Thistle this season.

The worrying thing is none of our strikers are absolutely banging them in, even Kris Doolan. Out of the three of them I expected less from Christie Elliot because it was quite a huge step up from Whitley Bay to full time with Partick Thistle. Today he was disappointing but considering how long he has been with us and the step up so far he has done okay. While Tommy Stewart may be better at holding up the ball I have to say he hasnt exactly been all that great this season. And lets not forget Tommy is there to score goals as well but like the other 2 missed more than his fair share of sitters. He may have set up Erskines second against Falkirk but he was equally guilty of squandering a perfect chance 10 minutes before that. As he and David Rowson were the 2 main players that Jackie wanted to sign I dont think at present he has justified Jackies faith in him and on the whole I wouldnt say has made more of an impact on the season than Christie Elliot. Though its still early days yet and hopefully Tommy will prove me wrong starting with Palmerston next week.

Apart from the above certainly cant argue with anything else in your post

The worrying thing is none of our strikers are absolutely banging them in, even Kris Doolan. Out of the three of them I expected less from Christie Elliot because it was quite a huge step up from Whitley Bay to full time with Partick Thistle. Today he was disappointing but considering how long he has been with us and the step up so far he has done okay. While Tommy Stewart may be better at holding up the ball I have to say he hasnt exactly been all that great this season. And lets not forget Tommy is there to score goals as well but like the other 2 missed more than his fair share of sitters. He may have set up Erskines second against Falkirk but he was equally guilty of squandering a perfect chance 10 minutes before that. As he and David Rowson were the 2 main players that Jackie wanted to sign I dont think at present he has justified Jackies faith in him and on the whole I wouldnt say has made more of an impact on the season than Christie Elliot. Though its still early days yet and hopefully Tommy will prove me wrong starting with Palmerston next week.

Apart from the above certainly cant argue with anything else in your post

there is no doubt we cant be 2 harsh on christie elliot but i think he needs a period on the bench. he has done extremely well for a player hopping up from the juniors to the first division but leaving him in no.10 every week to do very little is not what is needed i reckon if we give tommy some starts he may come good and later on maybe the same could happen with elliot. if you think about it when he came in he scored 3 goals in 3 game. since then he's done zilch. :thinking:

there is no doubt we cant be 2 harsh on christie elliot but i think he needs a period on the bench. he has done extremely well for a player hopping up from the juniors to the first division but leaving him in no.10 every week to do very little is not what is needed i reckon if we give tommy some starts he may come good and later on maybe the same could happen with elliot. if you think about it when he came in he scored 3 goals in 3 game. since then he's done zilch. :thinking:

i think he and doolan getting some service would be a start, when you see them picking up the ball in our 18 yard box then we have problems

I understand what you're saying but you have forgotten that Tommy Stewart is absolutely awful.

I understand what you're saying but you have forgotten that Tommy Stewart is absolutely awful.

he isn't fantastic but he hasn't got the best service from our midfielders. this is going a bit off topic but if we still had a player like harkins supplying him in my opinion i think tommy could do a good job. paton is off form at the moment as is erskine rowser doesnt really do set up shots he just smahes them the only 2 i can see is cairney and sinclair but they seem to want to skin the entire opposition team so stewart has really had to do most of the work himself so i think thats a bit of an unfair judgement. :thinking:

Balatoni I thought was our best player today though Cairney's second half performance ran him close.

Which brings me to my second point. I think Jackie got his team tactics all wrong today.

The last few home games we've been playing an orthodox 4-4-2 but not to sure what we were doing in midfield today. Erskine running down blind alleys in a congested middle of the park, Cairney running from one side of park to other looking for the ball and every time Paton got into final third in 1st half there were two County players around him and no Thistle player to play it to.

We looked far better 2nd half especially up the left with Cairney and Sinclair, though admittedly didn't create a lot.

County didn't impress and although they had a few chances 2nd half they definitely set up looking for a point and anything more a bonus. Unfortunately our first half performance & tactics gave them that.

Agree with other comments aout Elliot. Not busy enough for me when ball not coming to him. Very static at times and no anticipation imo. Still young though and hopefully with the right coaching...

A horrible performance today, as bad as it's been all season.

Alan Archibald has been a great servant to this club, but today his years really showed. In not so many words...he's past it. The first thing he does when the ball comes to him is to hook it into the stand, there is no attempt to bring it out from the back. It's just so boring watching the poor ball-boy having to hunt through the Main Stand to find a ball that Archie has unnecessary hoofed into touch.

Today also has firmed up my suspicion that Paton has been given a free ride, without competition at right-back for too long. He didn't get involved in play, he didn't make runs, his hopeless punts forward are so predictable and he looked like he was going to blow a gasket all day. And while we are on the subject of predictability, Paul Cairney's corners. Somebody needs to tell him that lofted corners mean that an attacker cannot generate any power from a header.

Scully is the only one that gets pass marks from me today. It was a poor day at the office, and we will need to do a lot better. Inconsistency is what will kill us in the end.

A horrible performance today, as bad as it's been all season.

Alan Archibald has been a great servant to this club, but today his years really showed. In not so many words...he's past it. The first thing he does when the ball comes to him is to hook it into the stand, there is no attempt to bring it out from the back. It's just so boring watching the poor ball-boy having to hunt through the Main Stand to find a ball that Archie has unnecessary hoofed into touch.

Today also has firmed up my suspicion that Paton has been given a free ride, without competition at right-back for too long. He didn't get involved in play, he didn't make runs, his hopeless punts forward are so predictable and he looked like he was going to blow a gasket all day. And while we are on the subject of predictability, Paul Cairney's corners. Somebody needs to tell him that lofted corners mean that an attacker cannot generate any power from a header.

Scully is the only one that gets pass marks from me today. It was a poor day at the office, and we will need to do a lot better. Inconsistency is what will kill us in the end.

It wasn't good cannot deny that, though as bad as it's been all season - I wish I could agree with you there, alas afraid not.

Guessing you have missed a few games especially on our travels this season.

Scully, Archie and What's the story get passmarks from me today. Christie and Kris didn't get service but are both off the boil. Cairney and Rowser spent plenty of energy for little result. Erskine was in Mr Hyde mode. Kyle Hutton didn't do too much wrong but got caught a couple of times and didn't offer anything going forward. PP didn't get forward to any effect either but was solid enough at the back. Sinclair wasn't very effective but kept going. Sometimes I feel he and CAirney can cancel each other out.

Back three did well when called upon. Overall we deserved what we got, nothing. If we had scored that chance late on it would have been daylight robbery imo.

I don't think we had a shot on target until around the hour mark.

A lot of the reasons for our bad day at the office was an organised and efficient display from County. They snapped at our heels the whole game and only tired slightly in the last ten minutes. However their defense held out. Thought Scott Boyd strolled it today. They sat deep and scored a wonder goal. We seem tto struggle with breaking teams down. They let us have possession in areas where we couldn't do anything with it.

I think we need to keep a level head. It is quite within our ability to win the next two away games. It's maybe time to shake up the team. that was the team that didn't set the heather on fire against dundee. So I could see why the manager gave them another chance.

I would expect Stewart to get a start and O'Donnell to get back in next week. Erskine and Elliot to the bench. Hopefully injuries will clear up giving us more options.

Onwards and sideways :eyebrow:

It wasn't good cannot deny that, though as bad as it's been all season - I wish I could agree with you there, alas afraid not.

Guessing you have missed a few games especially on our travels this season.

Ross County away was the only game I've missed all season...actually the only game I've missed in the past couple of season. But I still insist that's as bad as I've seen in a while.

[/quote

Toatlly agree, great football by county up to their goal and whilst we should have shut vigurs down it was a good finish. The guy next to me blamed scully but i doubt my neighbour could have touched his toes never mind the ball as it sailed into the net.Poor stuff by county second half as it ruined the game but ewan norris was as much to blame by being conned into god knows how many "fouls" and by not dishing a single yellow for timewasting. That being said we were rubbish for the majority of the game, plus my seat was covered in pigeon sh*t. awesome.

Ross County away was the only game I've missed all season...actually the only game I've missed in the past couple of season. But I still insist that's as bad as I've seen in a while.

We were not great in Dingwall though at least fought back for a draw, but have to say I thought today was a lot better than our visit to Starks Park and even though we won against Q of S, that again was a poorer performance than today. We'll ignore the cup debacle with Berwick and friendlies which were part of a pretty dire start to the season.

As mentioned before agree it was not good today though still not the worst, not in the top 3 worst of the season so far. Then again that is what opinions are all about.

Edited by Jagsfan58

And while we are on the subject of predictability, Paul Cairney's corners. Somebody needs to tell him that lofted corners mean that an attacker cannot generate any power from a header.

Agree entirely. Much too easy to defend. Really need somebody to whip them in from the left. Maybe Paton or O'Donnell could do better? :unsure:

Im pretty disgusted with that performance.

Second to every ball. No spark, no fight no leadership and no interest from the majority of the team.

Only one I would give pass marks to was Scully and possibly Archie. Archie wasnt great but at least he battled and tried the rest seemed to be content with being easily brushed around.

The rest of the team and the Manager should be ashamed of such a gutless and pathetic display

spot on. woeful performance

• Members

To the contrary Y&R, I think Paton makes great runs and finds lots of space every week, the problem comes when he gets the ball. He's a one trick pony and every team knows what that trick is, feint to run, then pull it back with his right boot behind his left leg and look to play it backwards or square when he gets into the opposition half of the field. There was one particular instance in the first half when he had the ball and could have ran at the full back, but he knew that Paton wouldn't try and you could visibly see him relax

I'd like to see him at least try and take on the opposite full back occasionally and give them something else to think about. When he first arrived he was great going forward and a poor defender. He's obviously worked hard on the defensive side of his game because he's a much better defender now. But coming forward...... that's another story.