My Firhill Match-Day Experience 2011

general george

if you are a true fan.. you would sit anywhere... silly post and move on

This is exactly the type of attitude that this club would love all its fans to have. There would be no hassle and we would all do as we were told and accept whatever crap came our way. As for being a silly post, it has attracted a fair number of replies! I would also like to think that that after supporting the Jags for more than 50 years I would be classed as a true fan and if I appear disgruntled it is because I have known better!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is exactly the type of attitude that this club would love all its fans to have. There would be no hassle and we would all do as we were told and accept whatever crap came our way. As for being a silly post, it has attracted a fair number of replies! I would also like to think that that after supporting the Jags for more than 50 years I would be classed as a true fan and if I appear disgruntled it is because I have known better!

Hear, hear! Well put.

The fans that go now are the hard-core, Thistlely insane. We need feed-back and criticism to see how we can get lapsed fans and passing neutrals back to Firhill. Unfortunately Firhill seems to be part of the problem now?

Going to watch Thistle becomes a habit. I've been a part time supporter myself and it's hard to get back into it when the team gets beaten after you've made a special effort to put aside other things and travelled far to go to the game. In those circumstances, everything's a problem. We will always keep hearing these stories of gloom and doom, fortunately balanced out by others where folk come from Manchester, Wiltshire or Norway and are happy just to keep the faith.

Reterrace the bing and put a roof on it. Atmosphere problems solved in an instant. :thumbsup2:

We have a kids zone, lets have an adults zone, where you can swear, stand up, have a fly puff all whilst slighly pished, that zone will only sell pie's bovrils and quenchy cups, and a wee gadgie can be employed to sell macaroon bars and chewing gum round that zone, charge a quid extra to get in and everyones a winner

We have a kids zone, lets have an adults zone, where you can swear, stand up, have a fly puff all whilst slighly pished, that zone will only sell pie's bovrils and quenchy cups, and a wee gadgie can be employed to sell macaroon bars and chewing gum round that zone, charge a quid extra to get in and

We can but dream (the impossible dream?)

When I was young and taken to Firhill I started off in the old enclosure, as I got older my old man and I stood on the city-end terracing for many years. I am old enough to remember the high wall. As I got older my mates and I became shed boys and as my old man became less fit we graduated back to the city end. For some reason we never stood on the north terracing, however we had the choice to do so if we wanted.

My mate who has been exiled in England came up especially for the game yesterday. His first visit to Firhill for four years. We made our way to the north-end of the JH where there is usually plenty of room, only to be ushered into an area full of young kids as the Ross County fans were being catered for in the area where we now usually sit.

What has happened to choice at Firhill? We are all now forced to sit in an soulless one-sided arena staring at a main stand we now don't own, a grassy bing that almost brings a tear to my eye when I think of the many happy years I spent standing there with my family and friends through thick-and-thin, supporting the Jags. How I loved Firhill.

After yesterday's game my mate stated that it would be another four years before he would be back, as for me they could lock the doors tomorrow and through away the keys and I couldn't care less.

No one disagree's that Firhill is a souless unfit for purpose joke of a ground, I myself have many gripes regarding Firhill however you last paragraph really pisses me off..it is people like your good self who have played a good part in Thistle's decline....Thistle fans that don't go??? Disgraceful!!

If Thistle end up sharing a public park with the gypoes I would still go and watch them whenever possible.

No one disagree's that Firhill is a souless unfit for purpose joke of a ground, I myself have many gripes regarding Firhill however you last paragraph really pisses me off..it is people like your good self who have played a good part in Thistle's decline....Thistle fans that don't go??? Disgraceful!!

If Thistle end up sharing a public park with the gypoes I would still go and watch them whenever possible.

This.

The problem isn't just related to Firhill. Starks Park the other week is an even more soulless dump of a ground.

So you've got a guy here who has been a Thistle fan for 50 years and he's clearly at a low ebb as he watches a home defeat and looks around at the Frankenstein mess of a stadium we've got now...and the general reaction is to tell him to shut up/piss off or tell him he's the problem? I'm not seeing a lot of "Come and sit with us, mate. We still manage to have a laugh and maybe we can cheer you up a bit." Nice. It's good to circle the wagons against the enemy, but the circle's getting awful wee and I'm not sure people are too clear who the enemies are any more.

Stick with it if you can, General, because when you break the habit things won't ever feel quite the same.

So you've got a guy here who has been a Thistle fan for 50 years and he's clearly at a low ebb as he watches a home defeat and looks around at the Frankenstein mess of a stadium we've got now...and the general reaction is to tell him to shut up/piss off or tell him he's the problem? I'm not seeing a lot of "Come and sit with us, mate. We still manage to have a laugh and maybe we can cheer you up a bit." Nice. It's good to circle the wagons against the enemy, but the circle's getting awful wee and I'm not sure people are too clear who the enemies are any more.

Stick with it if you can, General, because when you break the habit things won't ever feel quite the same.

I agree 100% -having spent a not inconsiderable amount of my time trying to improve the "Matchday Experience" before it was decided my services were no longer required I would add my tuppenceworth.

Over the Seasons I would try and travel on various Supporters Buses and speak to as many fans as I could ,one of the questions I would ask on the Buses etc was how mant travelled a few Seasons ago,where have the lost fans gone and why -time upon time the Stadium came up as a key issue so it s costing us fans.

And for the record Propco has nothing to do with the problem -very simply the JHS stand is too big that means all our fans are in the one stand and now even the away support -noise travels forward not sideways therefore if one part of the JHS starts singing it doesnt get much further than 20m (and believe me I did the calcs)therefore the whole stand doesnt join in ,I have sat in a 60000 seater Stadium with 16000 fans ,they managed to create an atmposhere as they were not all in the same stand -whatismore the Club in question worked hard with the fans to do so.

Even when we did manage to do "events" like Colours with Pride no one could see the banner displays (not helped by the fact everytime we did something we got beat so it became a negative).

Football isnt going to the pictures ,its something you play a part in -remove the "experience" you are as well watching it in the pub and funny enough thats where most of our lost fans are going on a Saturday afternoon.

Policing /Stewarding the culture of "controlling fans" all play a significant part -in fairness I did manage to establish a more relaxed environment but being honest its still pretty poor compared to the culture in Europe.

We should not pretend that the Stadium is not a significant barrier to attracting more fans ,nor that lack of atmosphere makes a key difference in people and more importantly kids coming back.

Its worth mentioning that everytime we had an "event day" like colours with pride the kids numbers doubled.The Glasgows Big Game campaign attracted 620 kids compared to an average of 150 -it also achieved the largest home support in a league match in seven Seasons.fans want to be part of a shared experience the larger the crowd the better the shared experience.

we shouldnt be berating fans who make a valid point maybe start listening and trying to find out how we win them back is our future.

I agree 100% -having spent a not inconsiderable amount of my time trying to improve the "Matchday Experience" before it was decided my services were no longer required I would add my tuppenceworth.

Over the Seasons I would try and travel on various Supporters Buses and speak to as many fans as I could ,one of the questions I would ask on the Buses etc was how mant travelled a few Seasons ago,where have the lost fans gone and why -time upon time the Stadium came up as a key issue so it s costing us fans.

And for the record Propco has nothing to do with the problem -very simply the JHS stand is too big that means all our fans are in the one stand and now even the away support -noise travels forward not sideways therefore if one part of the JHS starts singing it doesnt get much further than 20m (and believe me I did the calcs)therefore the whole stand doesnt join in ,I have sat in a 60000 seater Stadium with 16000 fans ,they managed to create an atmposhere as they were not all in the same stand -whatismore the Club in question worked hard with the fans to do so.

Even when we did manage to do "events" like Colours with Pride no one could see the banner displays (not helped by the fact everytime we did something we got beat so it became a negative).

Football isnt going to the pictures ,its something you play a part in -remove the "experience" you are as well watching it in the pub and funny enough thats where most of our lost fans are going on a Saturday afternoon.

Policing /Stewarding the culture of "controlling fans" all play a significant part -in fairness I did manage to establish a more relaxed environment but being honest its still pretty poor compared to the culture in Europe.

We should not pretend that the Stadium is not a significant barrier to attracting more fans ,nor that lack of atmosphere makes a key difference in people and more importantly kids coming back.

Its worth mentioning that everytime we had an "event day" like colours with pride the kids numbers doubled.The Glasgows Big Game campaign attracted 620 kids compared to an average of 150 -it also achieved the largest home support in a league match in seven Seasons.fans want to be part of a shared experience the larger the crowd the better the shared experience.

we shouldnt be berating fans who make a valid point maybe start listening and trying to find out how we win them back is our future.

Excellent post.

The problem remains: The current L-shaped Firhill does little for atmosphere.

How have I played a good part in Thistle's decline when I have already stated that I have been a Firhill regular for over 50 years - what part of that don't you understand?

How have I played a good part in Thistle's decline when I have already stated that I have been a Firhill regular for over 50 years - what part of that don't you understand?

Why are you saying you couldnt care less then???

Honestly the amount of people that came crawling out the woodwork for the Rangers game for example although creating a great atmosphere I found very hard to stomach.

I met so many lapsed fans that day and I havent seen any of them since!!

Just met so so many people who claim to be jags fans over the years and they havent been for fckn donkeys!

Honestly the amount of people that came crawling out the woodwork for the Rangers game for example although creating a great atmosphere I found very hard to stomach.

Just met so so many people who claim to be jags fans over the years and they havent been for fckn donkeys!

Chico Fan -is it not up to the Club to try and a)entice these people back and B) ensure we have regular contact with them even if they cant make that many games -I fall into the category of part time supporter for my other team RCD Espanyol and yes I travel over for -but not exclusively "the big games" thats life ,people lead busy lives -it doesnt stop them being Jags Fans just the same as not going to every game doesnt stop me being an Espanyol Fan ,we need to ensure we have them as part of the Thistle Family no matter how little or often they come to the games.

At the What a Sensation night an old guy of 94 travelled up from down South to attend he makes very few games these days -is he not a "real" Jags Fan.

The Club needs to accept that Football as a "day out" needs to be improved otherwise people wont come.

all the best

Jim

Agreed; this is not good. Much better simply to follow the Jags.

Don't worry DU, the red and yellow scarf is not in the bin yet! Thanks for your concern!

Chico Fan -is it not up to the Club to try and a)entice these people back and B) ensure we have regular contact with them even if they cant make that many games -I fall into the category of part time supporter for my other team RCD Espanyol and yes I travel over for -but not exclusively "the big games" thats life ,people lead busy lives -it doesnt stop them being Jags Fans just the same as not going to every game doesnt stop me being an Espanyol Fan ,we need to ensure we have them as part of the Thistle Family no matter how little or often they come to the games.

At the What a Sensation night an old guy of 94 travelled up from down South to attend he makes very few games these days -is he not a "real" Jags Fan.

The Club needs to accept that Football as a "day out" needs to be improved otherwise people wont come.

all the best

Jim

Not a best fan worse fan debate Jim, but you must wonder how many fans there are out there who simply can't be @rsed(by that i mean folk who could go not like the chap you mentioned)..back to the original point of thread and choice of seat...i can think of a hundred more reasons better than that not to go back..but we do because we love them!!!

God my wee boy fell asleep at a game last year but I've still dragged him back and he says he will still come back even though the seats are covered in "birds jobbies"

Not a best fan worse fan debate Jim, but you must wonder how many fans there are out there who simply can't be @rsed(by that i mean folk who could go not like the chap you mentioned)..back to the original point of thread and choice of seat...i can think of a hundred more reasons better than that not to go back..but we do because we love them!!!

God my wee boy fell asleep at a game last year but I've still dragged him back and he says he will still come back even though the seats are covered in "birds jobbies"

Our challange Chico is to get them back even for a handful of games -Billy Allan recently stated that an extra 500 on the gate makes us a viable Club -now thats not an impossible task IMO ,crowds similiar to Dundee make as a completley different animal ,unfortunatley we are now in a position where we look at Dundees gates with envy thats reality ,I have stated this time and time again -if Real Madrid are playing at Firhill but your seat is covered in crap and the toilets are not up to scratch it has a negative impact on your Matchday Experience - there is a minimal expectation in Customer Service -taking fans for granted and not meeting them is a recipe for disaster -lets put it this way if its a Michelin Resturant or Jaconnelis you order soup you expect it to be hot ,if its the Nou Camp or Firhill you sit on a seat you expect it to be clean.

Sorry to bore you to death with this but it was something I attempted to instill during my tenure.

All the best

Jim

Our challange Chico is to get them back even for a handful of games -Billy Allan recently stated that an extra 500 on the gate makes us a viable Club -now thats not an impossible task IMO ,crowds similiar to Dundee make as a completley different animal ,unfortunatley we are now in a position where we look at Dundees gates with envy thats reality ,I have stated this time and time again -if Real Madrid are playing at Firhill but your seat is covered in crap and the toilets are not up to scratch it has a negative impact on your Matchday Experience - there is a minimal expectation in Customer Service -taking fans for granted and not meeting them is a recipe for disaster -lets put it this way if its a Michelin Resturant or Jaconnelis you order soup you expect it to be hot ,if its the Nou Camp or Firhill you sit on a seat you expect it to be clean.

Sorry to bore you to death with this but it was something I attempted to instill during my tenure.

All the best

Jim

Not at all Jim and the work you were doing/trying to do was certainly very positive and certainly not forgotten :thumbsup2:

Am i right in saying the crowd attendance is up slightly already this year?