The Germans

Tam

Clinical as ever,awesome indeed, it doesn't seem to matter what players come and go through the years the Germans are a machine.

I see some flair in this team that i've not seen since Klinnsman played though.

I thought the Argies were almost there too

Can't wait to see if Spain can look THAT dangerous.

Love the world cup so a dae :D

Excellent performance last light, this world cup needed a game like that. I'd say Argentina looked as good against what, no disrespect to Australia, were a far better team, just the Super Eagles keeper played a blinder.

I read an article about that Ozil guy before the world cup, must admit as someone who doesn't watch any Bundesliga I knew nowt about him, he could be the talent to launch himself at this world cup. Go get him McCall.

Excellent performance last light, this world cup needed a game like that. I'd say Argentina looked as good against what, no disrespect to Australia, were a far better team, just the Super Eagles keeper played a blinder.

I read an article about that Ozil guy before the world cup, must admit as someone who doesn't watch any Bundesliga I knew nowt about him, he could be the talent to launch himself at this world cup. Go get him McCall.

I could have sworn I saw Bobby Dinnie in the crowd :thumbsup2:

Oh dear my adopted nation got well and truly gubbed! The Germans were by far the better side but I thought Cahills red card had a huge effect and it was very harsh. Here in Australia before the WC began most folk thought this side were a poor imitation of the group that performed so well 4 years ago. You can't replace the likes of Viduka with A Leahue players as the standard in the A league is poor. I think giving Craig Moore a game says it all, he doesn't even have a club now, keeps causing trouble and being moved on! I felt very sorry for Australia but they didn't deserve anything from the match.

I enjoyed watching Argentina and I ejoyed the opening game, the rest have been average!

Just watched it,and would agree they were good, but I don't think they were playing at anything like their full potential. Australia were, as I rather feared, poor. Didn't agree with the sending off, though.

I agree. I just wonder if the German side coasted to save themselves for later games in the tournament. Anyway, they'll have greater challenges to overcome after the initial round is over.

Podolski, Klose, Garcia, Özil, Khedira - a very multi-cultural German team...

Most Germans were not expecting much from the young team. Fair play, they did well. Good angled runs were too much for the two aged Aussie central defenders.

Will be interesting to see if they have it so easy against another team...

Yeah, Özil would do great at Thistle. He's just as unable to score a goal from great chances as the rest of the Jags. :P

Podolski, Klose, Garcia, Özil, Khedira - a very multi-cultural German team...

Garcia? There's no Garcia in the german team. Maybe you meant Cacau? ;)

Yeah, Özil would do great at Thistle. He's just as unable to score a goal from great chances as the rest of the Jags. :P

Garcia? There's no Garcia in the german team. Maybe you meant Cacau? ;)

Gomez doesn't sound particularly German either.

I was trying to play spot the German on the pitch too. Maybe we need a better immigration policy in Scotland!

Özil was born in Germany to Turkish parents. Certain players born and brought up in Scotland are frequently castigated or ridiculed by Jags fans for playing for another country. Maybe he decided to avoid that fate by playing for Germany. :lol:

Podolski was born in present-day Poland (in Silesia, to Polish parents) but his father's family were ethnic Germans and he has lived in Germany since he was 2: not really very foreign, especially since Poland and Germany are neighbouring countries, with many people entitled to dual nationality (which Podolski has).

Klose's father is also an ethnic German (from Silesia, like Podolski) and he and Klose are German citizens. Klose retains links with Poland but moved to Germany with his mother in 1985.

It's important to remember that a country like Germany has had shifting borders since they were drawn (including being split in two) and it has been a major draw to economic and other migrants in Europe for centuries, partly due to its position at the heart of Europe. Claiming that players like these are somehow not really German is as ill-advised as claiming that Glasgow 'Irish' aren't really Scots, or Ulster 'Scots' aren't really Irish, or, for that matter, that the people of Lewis are really Norwegians.

Gomez doesn't sound particularly German either.

I was trying to play spot the German on the pitch too. Maybe we need a better immigration policy in Scotland!

True, instead we'll stick with traditional Scottish names like Iwelumo and Berra. ;)

Oh yeah, haven't thought of Gomez. But he's so bad, I like to pretend he wasn't nominated for the national team. :D

Ah, the sweet chime of a similar opinion. I too feel that Gomez comes under the label, "carthorse". Offers nothing at all, and he has previous, doing the square root of nothing at the last World Cup and the Euros in 2008. True to form, his first few touches against the Aussies resulted in him miscontrolling the ball and giving away a throw-in...actually come to think of it those might have been his only touches! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I thought it was worth resurrecting this thread after Germany's superb demolition of Argentina. They are terrific on the break, much like the best of the Man Utd teams of 10-15 years ago. They really seem to play for each other too. My German friend reckons it's because there are no "superstars", mostly youngsters, with none of them having to play 2nd fiddle to the likes of Ballack.

I'm sure McCall has taken on board a lot of ideas from this World Cup, and that we can eagerly anticipate some fantastic moves next season.

:rolleyes: