The North Stand

northernsoul

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:)

Sadly, I'm convinced it's more boardroom level hypocrisy, patronizing, deceit and p*sh here. I doubt it has anything to do with numbers. The JHS holds over 6000. Our largest attendance this season (celtic game asides) 3000ish ?

They tell us that the stewarding of the old stand, in moving the "shed section" to the north end or in having large away supports in the JHS is too expensive. Yet they seem to be willing to afford the cost of stewarding/manning turnstyles & pie stalls in the north stand whenever we play a team with supporters who might use language which would embarrass them or disconcert thier guests in the nice, comfy, fenced off, yellow(?) seats with the extra leg room at the back JHS. The ones just behind the well behaved, no sweary words family section. Wee Culter? Ross County? Raith Rovers? Aye, awright, let them in it'll save a bit of cash... and ... Ach, if they do swear we'll just make a polite joke about the uncouth teuchters and mock their funny accents.

The intended abandonment of the old stand is a scandal. I say that not just filled with sentiment for the old structure but with anger about the fictitious rumours peddled, waste of money, detriment to the atmosphere of Firhill and my ever escalating depression in watching my team play with a needlessly deserted backdrop the process has incurred.

The OP is right. Furthermore, shut the north end shoe box. Use the stewards in the JHS. Move hospitality back to the aiken suite. Use the main stand as the family section ( one turnstyle, one pie sellar and 2 or 3 stewards should suffice it, no? ) .

There was a post recently about the disabled section. It's still housed in the main stand. How much did the new directors box cost when it was added to the JHS? I bet it would have cost less to build a flat area at the concourse level to accommodate 10 wheelchair users than it did to install those comfy seats for the directors.

:angry:

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz

Oh, and, those of us old enough to remember terracing behind both goals will know that, when it rained, the artic was more densley populated than either of the end terraces. But, that was usually when you found the best atmosphere under the shed.

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz

Anyone who is in the inner circle know how much it costs to open a stand? It surely can’t be that much, especially as we are now polis free. Could we not open the main stand for home fans once in a while? Of course we don’t need it in terms of numbers of fans but I can’t imagine stewards, turnstile operators or catering staff at Firhill get paid particularly well or that they need to be there for that long before or after the game, then we’re just looking at the leccy bill for the lights and the pie ovens.

Next Friday night home game let’s get it open, just imagine if we managed to create the same kind of atmosphere at the Morton game but in 2 sides of the stadium, the away fans might even muster a tune and low and behold it will be just like old times.

:)

Sadly, I'm convinced it's more boardroom level hypocrisy, patronizing, deceit and p*sh here. I doubt it has anything to do with numbers. The JHS holds over 6000. Our largest attendance this season (celtic game asides) 3000ish ?

They tell us that the stewarding of the old stand, in moving the "shed section" to the north end or in having large away supports in the JHS is too expensive. Yet they seem to be willing to afford the cost of stewarding/manning turnstyles & pie stalls in the north stand whenever we play a team with supporters who might use language which would embarrass them or disconcert thier guests in the nice, comfy, fenced off, yellow(?) seats with the extra leg room at the back JHS. The ones just behind the well behaved, no sweary words family section. Wee Culter? Ross County? Raith Rovers? Aye, awright, let them in it'll save a bit of cash... and ... Ach, if they do swear we'll just make a polite joke about the uncouth teuchters and mock their funny accents.

The intended abandonment of the old stand is a scandal. I say that not just filled with sentiment for the old structure but with anger about the fictitious rumours peddled, waste of money, detriment to the atmosphere of Firhill and my ever escalating depression in watching my team play with a needlessly deserted backdrop the process has incurred.

The OP is right. Furthermore, shut the north end shoe box. Use the stewards in the JHS. Move hospitality back to the aiken suite. Use the main stand as the family section ( one turnstyle, one pie sellar and 2 or 3 stewards should suffice it, no? ) .

There was a post recently about the disabled section. It's still housed in the main stand. How much did the new directors box cost when it was added to the JHS? I bet it would have cost less to build a flat area at the concourse level to accommodate 10 wheelchair users than it did to install those comfy seats for the directors.

:angry:

Actually, the main stand needs twice as many stewards per person compared with any other stand due to its wooden structure and shorter fire evacuation time. This wouldn't be that expensive though, would it?

I do agree that it is time we left Firhill, it's only going to get worse.

Actually, the main stand needs twice as many stewards per person compared with any other stand due to its wooden structure and shorter fire evacuation time. This wouldn't be that expensive though, would it?

I do agree that it is time we left Firhill, it's only going to get worse.

Which is how many stewards per person?

An added bonus of using the old stand for a family section could be a free membership scheme so the club could better guage the precise amount of stewards required and not waste money on stewards patroling empty parts of the ground. I've watched a few games from the north end of the JHS and the stewards have been utterly pointless and overly pendantic.

If the purpose of the family section is to protect the weans from foul behaviour and abusive language it seems bizarre to house them in the part of the stadium with the best view and within earshot of away fans. Traveling supports usually have a reputation of being the most rowdy.

I suspect that the club should be doing more to gather data on fans. Do they know how many kids get in for free? I doubt this figure is included in attendance figures.

Which is how many stewards per person?

I don't know, but they'll have to overestimate rather than underestimate.

An added bonus of using the old stand for a family section could be a free membership scheme so the club could better guage the precise amount of stewards required and not waste money on stewards patroling empty parts of the ground. I've watched a few games from the north end of the JHS and the stewards have been utterly pointless and overly pendantic.

I like that idea, but would only suit those able to pay in advance for matches.

I suspect that the club should be doing more to gather data on fans. Do they know how many kids get in for free? I doubt this figure is included in attendance figures.

Yes they know, and yes the figure is included in attendance figures. I'm not aware of any recent publishing of these figures though, it is something they should do more often.

And.... A question for the Firhill's crap let's move folks....where are we going to move to?

Does one of you own a farm in Summerston or somethin? :huh:

There is plenty of land behind Firhill!!! Remember the plans to build a sports complex there years ago. We can sell Firhill, get a new stadium built, with hopefully better facilities for everyone and clear debts and have money in the bank. Lets face it Firhill is TOO big. We build a stadium to satisfy compliance with SPL and we can survive comfortably, instead of as in recent years putting out the begging bowl. Always been short term at Firhill, and NEVER to the future.

Maybe someone at Firhill can show some forward thinking and move us in this direction.

We have wallowed in sentementality for FAR too long, And this a guy who have followed them since 1969!!! :angry:

We're not in any financial position to open all ends of the ground which can accommodate fans in the ground. That's the reality of the situation.

Next season we're looking at a £200k hole with the rugby leaving.

How on earth is opening the North Stand justifiable when an away support brings over 100 fans?

We're not in any financial position to open all ends of the ground which can accommodate fans in the ground. That's the reality of the situation.

Next season we're looking at a £200k hole with the rugby leaving.

How on earth is opening the North Stand justifiable when an away support brings over 100 fans?

We could have Queens Park sharing next season as I believe they have to vacate Hampden to allow for Commonwealth Games work.

Firhill is soulless enough without making the place seem less like a football stadium by closing another stand. I understand the rationalle when a team brings virtually no fans (like Ross Co and Livi) but not when teams bring a decent crowd (like Morton or Falkirk)

So, for those who want us to shut up shop (I have gone along with that at times) and build another stadium. What should the capacity be? Let's take the average of our attendances since we've been in Divs 1 and 2; so around 3.000?

No need for anything bigger. One stand along one touchline should be enough, like at New Methil or Dumbarton.

But occasionally, once in a blue moon, we might get a home cup draw against the h*ns or tims (I'm now working on the premise that we've abandoned all hope of becoming an established top-flight club again). So, do we simply say "Tough; tickets only" (a la Berwick Rangers or Forfar) and continue to play in a junior-standard stadium for ever more?

Because for those who say we should move, that's what it amounts to. You want a 6,000 or 8,000 capacity stadium? Why? it'll only be filled once in a blue moon, so it'll cost money to maintain. And if you want that, then might as well stay where we are, where at least there is something to work with.

Firhill is soulless enough without making the place seem less like a football stadium by closing another stand. I understand the rationalle when a team brings virtually no fans (like Ross Co and Livi) but not when teams bring a decent crowd (like Morton or Falkirk)

If you read my first post on the thread you'll find that we're in agreement on that subject.

So, for those who want us to shut up shop (I have gone along with that at times) and build another stadium. What should the capacity be? Let's take the average of our attendances since we've been in Divs 1 and 2; so around 3.000?

No need for anything bigger. One stand along one touchline should be enough, like at New Methil or Dumbarton.

But occasionally, once in a blue moon, we might get a home cup draw against the h*ns or tims (I'm now working on the premise that we've abandoned all hope of becoming an established top-flight club again). So, do we simply say "Tough; tickets only" (a la Berwick Rangers or Forfar) and continue to play in a junior-standard stadium for ever more?

Because for those who say we should move, that's what it amounts to. You want a 6,000 or 8,000 capacity stadium? Why? it'll only be filled once in a blue moon, so it'll cost money to maintain. And if you want that, then might as well stay where we are, where at least there is something to work with.

I'd love something like the Pirelli Stadium. It would suit our needs very nicely, except from the stupid 6,000 seat rule. Two 3,000 seat stands and two end terraces would be lovely too. Would that be cheaper to maintain than Firhill?

There is plenty of land behind Firhill!!! Remember the plans to build a sports complex there years ago. We can sell Firhill, get a new stadium built, with hopefully better facilities for everyone and clear debts and have money in the bank. Lets face it Firhill is TOO big. We build a stadium to satisfy compliance with SPL and we can survive comfortably, instead of as in recent years putting out the begging bowl. Always been short term at Firhill, and NEVER to the future.

Maybe someone at Firhill can show some forward thinking and move us in this direction.

We have wallowed in sentementality for FAR too long, And this a guy who have followed them since 1969!!! :angry:

Who owns it?

Yes. They were shelved. Not without good reason.

No. The club no longer owns Firhill in full. Even if we did, why would some one buy it for development when they could simply buy the adjacent land you suggest?

If someone were to buy our ground they'd be building on it and selling the properties for profit. If we did find a piece of land large enough to build a new stadium on and gain planning permission, would we really have much cash left?

I agree. That's why I see some hope in the Propco deal. However, I disagree almost entirely with the proposed development plans.

I would put the largest part of the blame for our current predicament for doing just that. It's time clubs like ours really stood up to the utterly enept, we need a strong aberdeen/hibs/hearts and the old firm competing in europe, cart before the horse, snobbish, unimaginatative, let's copy the english, oh Gretna/ICT what a great fairytale story, 10 teams top league, so called football authorities in Scotland. .... F*** the spl.

I agree. And that could and should change.

I think they have shown promising signs. But the new direction leads us back to Firhill

Time to take pride in what we got?

This from a guy who has followed the team since 1983.... I guess you trump me their buddy! :cheers:

:fan:

Who owns it?

Yes. They were shelved. Not without good reason.

No. The club no longer owns Firhill in full. Even if we did, why would some one buy it for development when they could simply buy the adjacent land you suggest?

If someone were to buy our ground they'd be building on it and selling the properties for profit. If we did find a piece of land large enough to build a new stadium on and gain planning permission, would we really have much cash left?

I agree. That's why I see some hope in the Propco deal. However, I disagree almost entirely with the proposed development plans.

I would put the largest part of the blame for our current predicament for doing just that. It's time clubs like ours really stood up to the utterly enept, we need a strong aberdeen/hibs/hearts and the old firm competing in europe, cart before the horse, snobbish, unimaginatative, let's copy the english, oh Gretna/ICT what a great fairytale story, 10 teams top league, so called football authorities in Scotland. .... F*** the spl.

I agree. And that could and should change.

I think they have shown promising signs. But the new direction leads us back to Firhill

Time to take pride in what we got?

This from a guy who has followed the team since 1983.... I guess you trump me their buddy! :cheers:

:fan:

I might trump you but god it takes its toll, BE WARNED!!! ;)

I'd love something like the Pirelli Stadium. It would suit our needs very nicely, except from the stupid 6,000 seat rule. Two 3,000 seat stands and two end terraces would be lovely too. Would that be cheaper to maintain than Firhill?

That is a nice wee stadium.

Isn't it pretty much like what Ross County have at present? And yet they'll be compelled to transform at least one of their behind-goal terraces to seats if they get promoted. Nuts!