Could We Make A Push For The Top?

Jaggernaut

Less that two months ago the t*ms were 15 points behind the h*ns, but now they're ahead of them at the top of the SPL. The gap between us and Ross County is less than that. Monday's game will probably show whether or not we can really challenge. But I think that we would need to beat them to show real intent; a draw might be seen as a "good result", but in reality I don't think it would be.

I feel that going up would be a disaster long term for us. We're just not ready. I hope for a consistent finish to the season with a top four finish and a decent cup run. Well beat QoS anyway and get a decent home draw or big team away.

I feel that going up would be a disaster long term for us. We're just not ready. I hope for a consistent finish to the season with a top four finish and a decent cup run. Well beat QoS anyway and get a decent home draw or big team away.

We've been in this division for quite a few years now, we should be ready. I think we're much more ready than the last time we went to the SPL. Saying that, we're not consistent enough to win the league, that's not to say we can't, just that I highly doubt we will.

We've been in this division for quite a few years now, we should be ready. I think we're much more ready than the last time we went to the SPL. Saying that, we're not consistent enough to win the league, that's not to say we can't, just that I highly doubt we will.

Agree!1 Think we would be struggling in SPL. But McNamara is doing OK, Thistle are a hard club to run and hes doing well with it. So a full season in this division and a push next year would be more realistic. Mind you as always, deoends on finance???????

There has been no consistency (good or bad, admittedly) at all to our league results this season. We haven't had a run of more than 2 games with the same outcome. We lost our first 2 games and recently we have had both 2 consecutive draws and wins.

We just don't look likely to go on a long run of victories, which is what we'd need to do.

I've said it before we have stagnated in this league now for years with so many meaningless games year after year..I honestly believe this is the reason attendances have dwindled... of course the financial climate has not helped...but the middle of the road crap keeps people away.

As stolenscone said on a previous post "In answer to your question: "Yes we could, but we won't". this just about sums it up for me.

The only thing we could hope for is a Dundee esqe collapse but then we would have to keep winning and unfortunately I don't think we can do that.

I must add though, I genuinely believe on our day we are as good as any team in the league....but County are pinching points every single week.

I hope I am proved wrong as its just ground hog day for us at present.

Don't agree with this at all, even one season in the SPL would sort us right out financially (provided we didn't mismanage the finances as happened the last time). One season up, then relegated would be tough to take as a fan, but thinking long term, I'd take it.

Agree with everything else tho, we wont win this league but we might do next season...just in time for league reconstruction that see's us NOT promoted to the top league :rolleyes:

It also depends on which members of the squad we can manage to keep hold of and who can drag in.

Obviously I want promotion, everyone does, but I'd be content staying in this league for a while if needed. Definitely rather stay here than get relegated (for financial reasons and such-like. I'd love to go visit all the diddy team grounds as I've not had the chance yet).

Problem is though would we be ready next year. Remember we could potentially lose the likes of Sinclair or even Doolan if he keeps scoring the goals, feasibly there are a few others under contract for next season if they improve rapidly we may lose as well. Both are under contract next season but if a club comes with enough cash to throw our way then our board will be tempted. We could also lost Paton and Cairney who are not under contract. In which case we have to get in new guys to replace the above who may take a year or so to settle in. If Dunfermline come down as looks likely just now (though may change) then they have a squad of players who are good enough to get them a chance of promotion remember they have good first divisn players in their squad (they may not be good enough spl players but that doesnt really affect us) and unlike Hamilton who had several years away from the first divison the pars will still be pretty familiar with it. Also I can see Dundee throwing a lot of the money at their squad.

So if we got a chance of promotion this season would take it, we could if nothing else wipe out a big chunk of debt. Have to be honest though and think Ross County are very much in the driving seat out of anyone in the league.

The loss at home to Rovers was a big blow to our chances. If we can beat County on Monday, we could have an outside chance.

If the boys beat County on Monday the title race will be blown opener than before. Eight points between first and fourth (or thereabouts) in early January. Very interesting.

Alas no, had we beat Raith and were going up to Dingwall looking for a fourth straight win and then getting it, I would say we would have an outside chance. However we are just far too inconsistent and have not put together any sort of run.

I reckon at a minimum we would probably need to take 40 points from our 18 games, even then Ross would then still only need 30 from 19 to tie. It's not going to happen.

Alas no, had we beat Raith and were going up to Dingwall looking for a fourth straight win and then getting it, I would say we would have an outside chance. However we are just far too inconsistent and have not put together any sort of run.

I reckon at a minimum we would probably need to take 40 points from our 18 games, even then Ross would then still only need 30 from 19 to tie. It's not going to happen.

Inconsistency? Not us surely! :shok:

To have any chance we need Kyle/Conrad back and we need to find someone upfront who can put the ball in the back of the net,not too much too ask ?.

No, we need someone who will create good chances for the strikers. What's the point in going out and getting more strikers if they aren't getting good enough service.