Rebuilding

grangemouth jag

What happened to the lets give the manager time to rebuild the team that suits his style or we like the great unwashed and want instant results or are we going to give jackie time to get things going and were a youthfull team due to bugdet restraints or are we going to press the panick button everytime a result goes against us, lets have some paitence and lets see whats happens next season ffs peeps give the new management team a CHANCE think fergie at man utd ...................................................... im no worried as i can see the light at the end of the tunnell................................ or im a deed lol................................

Er no chance from what I seen last night. . There is no ability in this team to break oposition defenses down. When we get a chance to break, we get as far as the midfield then we turn into headless chickens and boot the fecking ball to the opositon.

We get a corner and.guess what. we give the ball to the oposition.Is Cairney the only person in that team who can take a corner kick!! Im sick of seeing the ball getting passed from side to side back to the other side and passed back again then run out of ideas,Attack breaks down when we cant pass it anymore. Dont other folk see this.? There are players in this team that I will never rate, there are players who I have given the benifit of the doubt and came to the conclusion more often than not that they are in the wrong profession, and just not up to the task of producing consistant good football.

I have supported the jags for 35 years and im getting pretty pissed off with people continuing to support certain players in the hope that they will someday come good. well sorry there are players who are the dogs bollocks when it comes to grit, integrity, initiative, have no fight and belief in the club they are playing for. I will sum it up in one word if you like and that is "Predictable" with that attitude we wont win a thing

There are 2 signs that someone is really clutching at straws in their unwavering support of McNamara. Firstly, they compare him to Sir Alex Ferguson. Secondly, they claim that those who don’t worship the ground he walks on are the same as old firm supporters.

I’m all for a good debate on the subject and have made my position clear in the other thread but these kind of remarks are just clutching at straws.

There is an obvious pride to take in supporting Thistle instead of the OF, there are 101 reasons for this, but one of them should not be “we are rubbish and are great fans because we still support a rubbish team” or words to that effect. We needn’t be rubbish to separate ourselves from the OF and being rubbish is not something to be happy with and certainly not something to aspire to which is the impression given on here by some posters.

Er no chance from what I seen last night. . There is no ability in this team to break oposition defenses down. When we get a chance to break, we get as far as the midfield then we turn into headless chickens and boot the fecking ball to the opositon.

We get a corner and.guess what. we give the ball to the oposition.Is Cairney the only person in that team who can take a corner kick!! Im sick of seeing the ball getting passed from side to side back to the other side and passed back again then run out of ideas,Attack breaks down when we cant pass it anymore. Dont other folk see this.? There are players in this team that I will never rate, there are players who I have given the benifit of the doubt and came to the conclusion more often than not that they are in the wrong profession, and just not up to the task of producing consistant good football.

I have supported the jags for 35 years and im getting pretty pissed off with people continuing to support certain players in the hope that they will someday come good. well sorry there are players who are the dogs bollocks when it comes to grit, integrity, initiative, have no fight and belief in the club they are playing for. I will sum it up in one word if you like and that is "Predictable" with that attitude we wont win a thing

This sums up the problem. We get the ball up to the opposition's penalty area - and I genuinely think we're pretty good at that - then nothing happens. We see it every week - when it come to making that final pass, the player hesitates then turns to pass it to someone else who looks for the final ball, hesitates, then turns and passes it to someone else who hesitates.... Why is this? Why do our players have absolutely no confidence that the final pass into the opposition box will be effective? Could it be because they're no' daft and they know that if it's a cross, no-one will get to it and if it's a through ball the defenders will win it easily? I know folk think that the problem lies with our midfield, but it seems to me that we have no-one up front who represents any threat to the opposition and our players know this. When Buchanan was playing, players knew that getting the ball to him in the box would cause problems for the opposition. None of our current forwards do this - Doolan is good at winning the ball in the air but never does it in the penalty box, Elliot is only useful when he's got the room to run at people, Tommy Stewart needs written warning of a scoring possibility before he sets himself up and Burns is a wee boy who's more suited to Junior football than the real thing. We need a penalty box player. Unfortunately, Friday night didn't make me think that Naismith is the answer.

There are 2 signs that someone is really clutching at straws in their unwavering support of McNamara. Firstly, they compare him to Sir Alex Ferguson. Secondly, they claim that those who don’t worship the ground he walks on are the same as old firm supporters.

I’m all for a good debate on the subject and have made my position clear in the other thread but these kind of remarks are just clutching at straws.

There is an obvious pride to take in supporting Thistle instead of the OF, there are 101 reasons for this, but one of them should not be “we are rubbish and are great fans because we still support a rubbish team” or words to that effect. We needn’t be rubbish to separate ourselves from the OF and being rubbish is not something to be happy with and certainly not something to aspire to which is the impression given on here by some posters.

If we are going to compare Jackie to other managers then I would suggest that a comparison with Danny Lennon, Derek McInnes or Owen Coyle would be more appropriate than one with Fergie.

Danny had the Cowdenbeath fans on his back early in his job there but got it right in his second season and that has been the case at St Mirren. The St Johnstone fans would have paid the taxi fare if another club had come in for McInnes during his early period in charge there. Coyle could not get St Johnstone out of the division but was still given time and has gone on to do not too badly for himself.

I think that there has been fewer managerial sackings in Scotland this season than in recent years and part of the reason for that is Boards and supporters realise that managers are operating under strict financial constraints and that a larger degree of patience is now required.

Everyone who has expressed their opinion, one way or another, on the subject is a Jags fan and wants the best for the club it is just that some see that as going down one route and others see it as a different route. Regardless of what route you think is best the important thing, I think, is that we support the club whether it is by turning up on Saturday or using easysearch/easyfundraising or buying a programme if you don't normally.

If we are going to compare Jackie to other managers then I would suggest that a comparison with Danny Lennon, Derek McInnes or Owen Coyle would be more appropriate than one with Fergie.

Danny had the Cowdenbeath fans on his back early in his job there but got it right in his second season and that has been the case at St Mirren. The St Johnstone fans would have paid the taxi fare if another club had come in for McInnes during his early period in charge there. Coyle could not get St Johnstone out of the division but was still given time and has gone on to do not too badly for himself.

I think that there has been fewer managerial sackings in Scotland this season than in recent years and part of the reason for that is Boards and supporters realise that managers are operating under strict financial constraints and that a larger degree of patience is now required.

Everyone who has expressed their opinion, one way or another, on the subject is a Jags fan and wants the best for the club it is just that some see that as going down one route and others see it as a different route. Regardless of what route you think is best the important thing, I think, is that we support the club whether it is by turning up on Saturday or using easysearch/easyfundraising or buying a programme if you don't normally.

I fully accept that not all young managers that are now successful had a great start. My point in the other thread was that I have not seen anything that makes me believe that McNamara will go on to be a good manager and we should take a punt on another. That is simply my opinion on the matter, the same way everyone has an opinion player x or player y.

Some people clearly do think that McNamara will go on to be a good manager and that is a difference of opinion that no matter how many posts people make on a forum there will not be an agreement on.

My real gripe is the insinuation from quite a few on this forum that those who criticise, be that the manager or the players, are somehow no different than old firm fans. Those wanting a change of manager either now or in the summer want that because they think it gives us a better chance of success. Not because of any other issues. Again, if people disagree that's fine, but there is an undercurrent on this forum and amongst our support that we just need to accept we are crap, have been crap, and always will be crap. I don't accept that is the case or needs to be the case, I have far greater aspirations for Thistle than a middling 1st Division team.

I fully accept that not all young managers that are now successful had a great start. My point in the other thread was that I have not seen anything that makes me believe that McNamara will go on to be a good manager and we should take a punt on another. That is simply my opinion on the matter, the same way everyone has an opinion player x or player y.

Some people clearly do think that McNamara will go on to be a good manager and that is a difference of opinion that no matter how many posts people make on a forum there will not be an agreement on.

My real gripe is the insinuation from quite a few on this forum that those who criticise, be that the manager or the players, are somehow no different than old firm fans. Those wanting a change of manager either now or in the summer want that because they think it gives us a better chance of success. Not because of any other issues. Again, if people disagree that's fine, but there is an undercurrent on this forum and amongst our support that we just need to accept we are crap, have been crap, and always will be crap. I don't accept that is the case or needs to be the case, I have far greater aspirations for Thistle than a middling 1st Division team.

I think the only thing we don't agree on is whether Jackie has what it takes or not.

The guy who made the Fergie comment was, in my view, not that far off the mark. I don't think he is trying to compare Jackie with Fergie. He is merely highlighting the fact Man Utd stuck with Fergie through a bad period, gave him time and since then have reaped the benefits of it.

I am in the give Jackie more time camp. I do not go game in game out but I've seen enough to feel, that given time then we could have a good side on our hands. I've had the benefit of talking with Jackie and he is certainly passionate about succeeding as manager. We are clearly not performing well just now. Well we are clearly not performing well from an attacking view point, the defence is not too bad. It's annoying and frustrating that we hear, read, view, a team who in recent weeks, keep making the same mistakes. OK, young lads will be more prone to that, but I'd personally like to see them take on a bit more responsibility. They seem scared to take a chance on in the final third.

Those of us who want to see Jackie given time, do not have a crystal ball, we hope it will come good but there is also the chance it won't. I will not blindly keep faith in Jackie. I just won't turn on him just now. That doesn't mean there won't come a time when I think it isn't working and we need a change. It also doesn't mean I think every thing is fine just now because it most certainly isn't. Some players are not progressing how we would have liked and time is starting to run out for them.

We all have different ways of expressing ourselves. The way I do it is not liked by some and I feel the same way about others. I strongly feel at the minute if we all put as much energy and emotion into supporting the team as we do in ripping into each other on here, we might, just might play a part in turning our fortunes around.

We all have different ways of expressing ourselves. The way I do it is not liked by some and I feel the same way about others. I strongly feel at the minute if we all put as much energy and emotion into supporting the team as we do in ripping into each other on here, we might, just might play a part in turning our fortunes around.

Except this forum is essentially about 6 or 7 folk having the same arguments over and over, in an increasingly boring way. Stop taking the internet so seriously.

To rebuild he can hopefully hang onto some of the decent players we have Paton, Cairney, O Donnell who are out of contract. rebuilding also means he needs to see there are a number who must be shown the door in summer and are clearly not going to help take this club forward and are not good enough sadly.

Jackie said in an interview last week that he has offered new deals to a couple of players (from Cairney, Paton, Archie and Flannigan) who are out of contract at the end of the season. My guess is that the recipients were the two Pauls.

Jackie's scope for rebuilding is limited by those who are under contract for next season. He probably wishes that could get rid of the under-performers but he will probably be stuck with them.

I'm not advocating sacking the manager but it is pretty hard to take when the season is all but over in the middle of January. That (quite rightly) is what is upsetting a lot of people (me included)

At least the cup would have kept games meaningful. The way we went out was very hard to stomach.

As opposed to not caring, is it possible that the players were fully aware of what a cup run meant to the fans and the obvious financial benefit to the club and the pressure got to them?

That does not make it acceptable and if it was the case, they have got to learn how to deal with that pressure as this season that has been a huge failing.

I agree it canbe frustrating when it seems like there isn't much to play for. Can I ask, would it still be so frustrating if we were safe, with nothing to play for, but in the top division?

Most people seem to favour league re-construction and bigger leagues, but that would probably increase the likelihood of our season being "over" prematurely. The argument for this is usually that the less pressure on the clubs to grind out results to get to safety, then the better quality of football we will get, with the added bonus of umpteen youngsters thrown into these matches.

I agree it canbe frustrating when it seems like there isn't much to play for. Can I ask, would it still be so frustrating if we were safe, with nothing to play for, but in the top division?

Most people seem to favour league re-construction and bigger leagues, but that would probably increase the likelihood of our season being "over" prematurely. The argument for this is usually that the less pressure on the clubs to grind out results to get to safety, then the better quality of football we will get, with the added bonus of umpteen youngsters thrown into these matches.

The season being over isn't something I personally agree with. When I've played sports I've been motivated to finish as high up the table as possible, even when safe from relegation. At the end of each season, I want to be able to see that the team has improved in some way - in league position, points total or both. As a player I'd be looking at my own performances if the team hadn't done as well as the previous season, thinking about what I've done wrong, where I've been weak and how to correct that in future.

It seems though that most fans and perhaps many players don't care about finishing second or eighth. I personally see top four as an aim once the title is out of reach (which it is barring a miracle), as this willshould give us better cup draws next season. Also, I see it as very important to try to finish higher than teams like Morton, Dundee and Falkirk.

Edited by twinny